Alcohol Selection at varying bars - Mardi Gras

CruisinCorey2525

Hi All,

I only sailed Carnival under 18, and have done Celebrity since in which their liquor selection was amazing. I also could ask certain bartenders to grab bottles for me if it is a bar I frequent. 

The steakhouse liquor selection below shows a good variety of higher end spirits and I am wondering what everyone's experience is at getting these at different bars on the ship? I'd like to get a G&T with Hendricks wherever I am at, but I doubt all the bars carry it and rather probably give you bombay saphire. 

Thank you for any insight!

carnival-steakhouse-cocktail-menu-page-2-may-22.jpg

10 minutes ago, ray98 said:

As you said....not all bars have the same selections.

Right - Celebrity would go grab whatever I wanted though, and plenty of bars had ALL the selection. I am guessing none have good spirits and this is a steak house thing but I am just going off experience with Carnival. 

Do the bars even offer higher end selections outside the steakhouse?

2 minutes ago, CruisinCorey2525 said:

Right - Celebrity would go grab whatever I wanted though, and plenty of bars had ALL the selection. I am guessing none have good spirits and this is a steak house thing but I am just going off experience with Carnival. 

Depends on their theme but they aren't going to fetch a bottle to make a drink.

3 minutes ago, CruisinCorey2525 said:

Usually it was with a dedicated bartender I had got to know and tipped, but like poolside guys would grab whatever - I just don't want to be stuck drinking well the whole time haha. 

Doesn't matter, they don't pour what their bar doesn't stock.  The rum bars carried the better rums, the tequila bars, better tequila etc, The Steakhouse on MG has an exterior bar so you can sit or do a take away. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CruisinCorey2525 said:

Yes.....the rum bar has high end rums.  The tequila bar has high end tequila.  Pig and Anchor carries a greater selection of bourbon and whiskey.

• Like 2

IIRC, the Steakhouse bar is just at the entrance to the Steakhouse.  Easy to get a cocktail there.  But no one is going to stop you from get a drink at one bar and heading off to somewhere else.  BTW, the Alchemy Bar carries BullDog and Bombay Saphhire. for their special cocktails but there cold be other brands on the shelf.  and if you're a frequent "visitor"( big spender/tipper) they will gladly retrieve some for you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

IIRC, the Steakhouse bar is just at the entrance to the Steakhouse.  Easy to get a cocktail there.  But no one is going to stop you from get a drink at one bar and heading off to somewhere else.  BTW, the Alchemy Bar carries BullDog and Bombay Saphhire. for their special cocktails but there cold be other brands on the shelf.  and if you're a frequent "visitor"( big spender/tipper) they will gladly retrieve some for you.

Great to know!

I usually find the bar im going to be frequenting right when I board the ship, get a drink and get to know the guy assuming he says yes that he's there all week and give him a $20 right then and they'll remember me and grab some other stuff to have on hand for me. End the week with another tip of course ;). Best use of tips IMO; plus if it's busy they usually jump the line and help you first haha!

If a particular brand/spirit is in a signature cocktail  of a particular bar, they may carry it when another bar doesn't.  Specifically, I know from experience, that something like Plymouth Gin is required in a MG Brass Magnolia Menu Drink, and thus they may hold it back and have it while other bars don't.  Same for Alchemy and Fortune Teller.  The latter may have a different brand of something else like Buffalo Trace Whiskey when Brass Magnolia doesn't.  As I typically get somewhat known by bar staff, I have had Bartenders who would go find what I wanted.  Not always, but ...

As to Hendricks, it and Sapphire are typically available at all bars unless you get to the end of the week with a ship of heavy Gin drinkers (not a frequent occurrence as Vodka now seems preferred for Martinis).  Heck, on a couple of cruises, I've been know to drink them out of Limes, let alone Plymouth or a couple of other Gin brands!  Although never Hendricks., as cucumber flavor is not a favorite of mine.

Isn't it a hard life when this becomes a topic of the day!

I've had a bartender fetch something for me, but it was a unique circumstance. He was amazing, it was at Alchemy, it wasn't super busy, and i didn't ask for it at all, he was just feeling creative and helpful. 

You'll find what you're looking for, just gotta find the right bar. I'm a bourbon guy myself, and like @Joebucksalluded to, finding out that Pig & Anchor has Blanton's was a game changer. That said, if I'm enjoying the vibe or company elsewhere, I have zero problem getting a Maker's or Buffalo Trace at one of the other bars. 

As others have noted, going out to fetch specific liquor most likely won't happen on Carnival. Celebrity is a bit of a different animal when it come to cocktails, I've had similar experiences as you when asking for a specific whiskey for an Old Fashioned. The bartender would call and a few minutes later a bottle was delivered. 

I will say as a mezcal fan, the New Moon really surprised me at Fortune Teller. I thought that was going to be a gimmick place after seeing all the vlogs with the Crystal Ball, but they have some really great bartenders and drinks there. Though they are heavy on cognac drinks both there and Brass Magnolia. Truth be told, Alchemy was my least favorite bar on that particular ship. She's a really fun ship though, all the included food certainly makes for a fun cruise.