Time to buy new luggage

Mary229

3 hours ago, Fulltimecruzer said:

Retired Marines and work 100% outside of the US for my job. Have taken this into combat zones, Africa, EU, Middle East you name it. Best luggage I ever have had. 

GIGO

I think he would like that perhaps a bit downsized.  I will research those.  Thanks 

On 9/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, janetz said:

Travel Pro soft sided spinners

We have had ours for 5+ years

They hold up wonderfully

I bundle pack. Many videos online 

9D940EF4-C367-4666-AD12-76BDB3F10F3C.png

Can confirm - this bag is amazing.  Mine has lasted 8+ years and, other than the need for an occasional hit of WD40 on the wheels, is still practically perfect.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:52 PM, Mary229 said:

DH’s luggage has finally reached the end of the road.  It will now be relegated to blanket storage.  I will be purchasing a set of two, I think, a carryon and a 26 to 28 inch.   So let’s hear your criteria and suggestions, I have an open mind but a tight wallet.  I don’t want cheap but a good value and at my age I don’t need lifetime guarantees .  Thanks for your opinions.  

Why three bags?  Seems like overkill, especially on a tight budget.  I'd rather have two GOOD bags than three cheap ones. 

If you don't care about the bags matching, try Marshall's.  You'll like the prices. 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:02 PM, slidergirl said:

Spinner bags were the worst - they were difficult to roll down all the carpeted hallways and I'd end up tilting them like 2-wheelers.  

I see several people here dislike spinners, but I like them.  We have only one four-wheeled spinner, but it's my favorite.  I like that you can roll it "flat" in an easy-roll spot, or you can tilt it and treat it like a two-wheeler.  The extra hardware probably does eat up a bit of your storage -- that's a fair argument. 

On 9/10/2022 at 2:09 AM, cruiseaholic78 said:

Just one advice after traveling in this summer, don’t buy black/grey/dark blue.  The baggage carousels are full of dark colored cases many of them without any significant markings. 

I was going to bring this up!  In this house we own ZERO black /gray /blue suitcases.  We have four suitcases:  olive drab, purple, rust, and red.  

It's still smart to add a small something personal -- like a large, standout luggage tag.  Even though colored luggage is unusual, someone else somewhere owns the same thing.  

On 9/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, slidergirl said:

Duffels with wheels - you have to be careful how you pack.  They have a tendency to not stand upright when you let go.  if you load it with your heavy things at the wheel-end, it has a better chance of standing.

I do love a good duffel on wheels.  For our last-week cruise I'd planned to pack up two rolling carry-ons, but when I got up in to the attic and saw that large rolling duffel (originally purchased for one of our children to take to summer camp), I decided we'd take one large bag between the two of us.  Worked out well.  

Yes, a rolling duffel doesn't stand up well on its end ... but ours (it's a Samsonite and at least 15 years old) has two handles -- one round, easy to grab handle that's just right for me (I'm only 4'11") and a pull-out handle hidden behind a zippered pocket.  When pulling over uneven terrain, you can use both handles /two hands.  

Last thought for the OP:  If I were buying for a kid, I'd consider LL Bean -- a medium rolling duffel and a matching carry-on duffel.  They hold a ton and are well made, and when the kid goes away to college they can fold flat and store under a bed or in the back of a closet.  They come in a variety of nice colors, and they can be monogrammed.  LL Bean often has excellent sales around Black Friday. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Why three bags?  Seems like overkill, especially on a tight budget.  I'd rather have two GOOD bags than three cheap ones. 

2. 2 for him and my one.  I am not on a tight budge, I simply see no reason to buy expensive luggage

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

On 9/15/2022 at 1:08 PM, pythia said:

Can confirm - this bag is amazing.  Mine has lasted 8+ years and, other than the need for an occasional hit of WD40 on the wheels, is still practically perfect.

We have these bags too.  I didn't realize how good they were until I read this thread! Haha.  Seriously, we like them a lot.  Oiling the wheels seems like a good idea.  

22 hours ago, Mary229 said:

2. 2 for him and my one.  I am not on a tight budge, I simply see no reason to buy expensive luggage

Oh, my -- I read wrong.  Somehow I read this as buying luggage for your daughter.  

You did say "tight wallet", but -- yeah -- that doesn't always mean tight budget. 

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

Oh, my -- I read wrong.  Somehow I read this as buying luggage for your daughter.  

You did say "tight wallet", but -- yeah -- that doesn't always mean tight budget. 

No problem.  His came off the conveyor thankfully in one piece.  It is now storing blankets in the guest room.  The 2nd piece is optional.  

I did idle the time at the airport carefully inspecting the luggage on the conveyor.  The Ogio mentioned above looks great but it is bigger than we want and and a bit pricey.  I did not see a TravelPro insignia but that could easily be missed.