Men's Shave @ Spa - Straight Razor or no?

Broons77

So I did a facial/shave on NCL a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I'm not really a spa kind of guy.  The only thing I was disappointed in was that it wasn't a straight razor shave, which I've never had and by all accounts is superior.  We're on Voyager in October, anyone know if the Vitality Spa uses straight razors?  I'll have some time to fill while DW gets a surprise facial/massage.

Incidentally, my facial tech on the NCL cruise told me that because of an 'incident that occurred a few years prior between a couple of ship crew, they no longer kept them on board and used disposables.  I'm unsurprised in this except for the fact that the incident didn't include any drunk pax. 🤪

It’s been a while since I had one RC, but it was not a straight razor. Same on Princess.

I’ve had a straight edge shave before on land.  A rouge wave and straight edge razor at sea seem like a bad combo to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

A rouge wave and straight edge razor at sea seem like a bad combo to me.

Appreciate the insight, suspected that for any number of reasons they would use disposables.

As for the rogue wave scenario, straight razor or no, I have considered this possibility and am booking this for a port day. 🙂 

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Even my barber at home uses a disposable blade in a straight razor handle. 

And that I would consider to be an acceptable straight razor experience.  The shave I got on NCL was with a disposable, multi-blade type razor.  Similar to what you'd buy in the store, but more substantial looking.  

Until 3 years ago I have used the same style straight razor since 1971 (CONVENTIONAL STONE-HONE-STROP) almost exclusively.

Today's barber shops are in some states restricted from using the convectional stone and strop type because of sanitary reasons and use a (feather) or similar disposable wide disposable which by the way are SUPER-EXTREMELY SHARP, and are really dangerous unless you are an experienced cut throat user, LOL..

BTW I have never calculated how much I saved by using the same blade for all those years?

feather.jpg

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Until 3 years ago I have used the same style straight razor since 1971 (CONVENTIONAL STONE-HONE-STROP) almost exclusively.

Today's barber shops are in some states restricted from using the convectional stone and strop type because of sanitary reasons and use a (feather) or similar disposable wide disposable which by the way are SUPER-EXTREMELY SHARP, and are really dangerous unless you are an experienced cut throat user, LOL..

BTW I have never calculated how much I saved by using the same blade for all those years?

feather.jpg

Always wanted to try the straight razor, how long did it take you to become proficient?

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, Airbear232 said:

Always wanted to try the straight razor, how long did it take you to become proficient?

On and off, using a regular double edge razor it wasn't that long.  Just remembering back isn't that easy. LOL.

Learning to sharpen and hone the blade is important as well as learning to make the funny faces needed while stretching you skin tight.

A sharp razor is so sharp it does not cut the hair the hair POPS when touched by the blade.

There is now a lot about it on the internet these days and some good tips.

Patience, patience and a styptic pencil is all you need.

• Thanks 1