Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

Maybe  they should  say "Country Club Casual Plus"

anything that looks better than the photo above  has got to be  better

I agree  the Maitre'd  needs to step it up a notch  & re direct  those that  dress down  to go to the Terrace  or change

• Like 1

Just ( thankfully) off the Marina.

Clothing report.

2 La Reserve Dinners: All the men wore sports jackets. Women very nicely dress, some with bling.

Specialties and MDR: Mostly everyone nicely and appropriately dressed. Maitre d turned away those with shorts or inappropriately dressed very early on, and the word seemed to get out. One gentleman at our table wore a shirt that might have been acceptable if freshly cleaned and pressed, but after obvious multiple days of wear, not so much. Only bizarre events surrounds not men wearing baseball hats, but women! Men would be asked to remove theirs, but some women would wear them ! 😳

Captains Reception in Horizons: most people nicely dressed, others couldn’t get into the Terrace dressed as they were. 

• Like 1

Also looking forward to full post-cruise report on Marina from pinotlover beyond disappointments about missed ports, and to reports from PhD-iva on her upcoming TA. We are on Marina May-June and trying to adjust expectations in light of current realities. Last on Marina in 2013, when she and we were ten years younger. TIA

10 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

True. I just found it odd that I got comments from older women like, 'that's not very country club casual,' or 'so much for country club casual, I guess!' And yes, those were the exact comments. So bizarre. We'll see if i get any comments when i wear the exact same outfit on my transatlantic in a few weeks. 🤷‍♀️🤣

😆

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe  they should  say "Country Club Casual Plus"

anything that looks better than the photo above  has got to be  better

I agree  the Maitre'd  needs to step it up a notch  & re direct  those that  dress down  to go to the Terrace  or change

agreed.

Yikes! I wear very expensive “flip flop” type sandals with orthotics everywhere. Am I going to offend someone by wearing them with a dress?  My husband hates wearing a jacket and basically lives in jeans and sneakers, he’s going to be annoyed at having to (a) bring a sport coat and (b) people judging him for wearing the same pair of khaki pants every night.  Wondering if we’ve made a mistake with O.

8 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Yikes! I wear very expensive “flip flop” type sandals with orthotics everywhere. Am I going to offend someone by wearing them with a dress?  My husband hates wearing a jacket and basically lives in jeans and sneakers, he’s going to be annoyed at having to (a) bring a sport coat and (b) people judging him for wearing the same pair of khaki pants every night.  Wondering if we’ve made a mistake with O.

Don’t know about "expensive flip flops," but your husband does not need a jacket. However, jeans and sneakers in the MDR or in the specialties would not conform to the dress code, if it's enforced.  You shouldn't be surprised by that, as it's pretty well stated on the O site, and in the numerous threads on CC.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

No jacket required 

depends on the sneakers

DH has  walking shoes that look like a sneaker type shoe  but they are black so might not stand out  like a pr of high tops would  😉

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

No jacket required 

depends on the sneakers

DH has  walking shoes that look like a sneaker type shoe  but they are black so might not stand out  like a pr of high tops would  😉

My guy’s are regular white new balance!  He lives in them (should’ve bought their stock decades ago)lol.

17 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

The sandal thing is more about beach/athletic sandals (plastic flipflops, Tevas/Chacos/etc.).

If your husband wears chinos and a polo shirt, he'll be fine. If he'll wear a button down shirt, great! My husband has a foot issue so he wears his black leather New Balance shoes...technically sneakers but look like an oxford except for the sole.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
LHT28 beat me to the black shoes!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Don’t know about "expensive flip flops," but your husband does not need a jacket. However, jeans and sneakers in the MDR or in the specialties would not conform to the dress code, if it's enforced.  You shouldn't be surprised by that, as it's pretty well stated on the O site, and in the numerous threads on CC.

“Expensive” for me, they’re over $100 and don’t look like shower shoes from the dorms lol, have an orthotic type platform and are embellished so they look nice.  I can’t really do heels.

Just now, Sujormik said:

“Expensive” for me, they’re over $100 and don’t look like shower shoes from the dorms lol, have an orthotic type platform and are embellished so they look nice.  I can’t really do heels.

No one expects heels. If the sandals have bling, that makes them dressy...woohoo!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

My guy’s are regular white new balance!  He lives in them (should’ve bought their stock decades ago)lol.

Get him a pair of these and he'll be happy as a clam

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/928v3/MW928V3-19761.html?dwvar_MW928V3-19761_style=MW928BK3

My husbands chinos are just the right length to cover the NB logo on the side.

2 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Get him a pair of these and he'll be happy as a clam

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/928v3/MW928V3-19761.html?dwvar_MW928V3-19761_style=MW928BK3

My husbands chinos are just the right length to cover the NB logo on the side.

I think a lot of older men wear those type of shoes   they have  support  for our old feet  😉

DH  are similar  but different  make

He also takes  Birkenstock dress shoe  if  space in the suitcase permits 😉

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think a lot of older men wear those type of shoes   they have  support  for our old feet  😉

Had no idea there was a Birk dress shoe😳.  His feet are awful (shh but it’s true) so I may just have him bring his dress shoes and deal with it.  If he doesn’t need a jacket we will be golden!

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

He's been an old man since his mid-20s...slipped disks, gout...eesh, not good for an active guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Had no idea there was a Birk dress shoe😳.  His feet are awful (shh but it’s true) so I may just have him bring his dress shoes and deal with it.  If he doesn’t need a jacket we will be golden!

not sure if they still have the leather dress shoes  these he has had for years  but still in good shape   ..he does not wear them a lot LOL

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

They sound like they are good to go.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:54 PM, Twiga said:

Here's a photo from Red Ginger on the Sirena in January 2023.  This woman is on her way out of the dining room after dinner.  The Maitre D obviously had no problem with her appearance.  (That's him on the left.)

We like to stick to the rules and hope that O enforces those rules - However I certainly wont be waisting my valuable cruise time looking down my nose and judging others as you never know the circumstances. Maybe her luggage went missing. I don't think she deserves to be photographed and placed on social media like this -  I find this equally distasteful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Sport coat is not required, though many bring one. Wearing the same khakis every night is pretty gross unless they are washed.One person's expensive flip flop is another's pool wear. A pair of flip flops with a Louis Vuitton label on them does not make them appropriate.You've read the dress code. It's simple enough. If you can't/wont  comply then please choose another line.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Yikes! I wear very expensive “flip flop” type sandals with orthotics everywhere. Am I going to offend someone by wearing them with a dress?  

My feet swell when I travel which makes my shoe selection for dinner very limited. It’s been a long-standing problem for me to find the right shoes when I go to dinner. I save my flip flops for the beach and pool. I recently found the perfect sandal for me. The brand is Dolce Vita. They are super comfortable and dressier than flip flops.  Most importantly I can still put them on when my feet are swollen. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

My feet swell when I travel which makes my shoe selection for dinner very limited. It’s been a long-standing problem for me to find the right shoes when I go to dinner. I save my flip flops for the beach and pool. I recently found the perfect sandal for me. The brand is Dolce Vita. They are super comfortable and dressier than flip flops.  Most importantly I can still put them on when my feet are swollen. 

My waistline swells when I’m on a cruise. 

• Haha 8