Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

I understand that you're not talking 'required', but 'what's the norm'.  My husband feels comfortable almost anywhere in a polo or dress shirt tucked in with a belt and decent slacks.  As long as one doesn't look like having just rolled out of bed, neatness rules over 'dressed up'  while travelling for all but a few, almost anywhere. 

• Like 4

Just got off Regatta on Friday (our ninth O cruise). Jacket absolutely not required or necessary for men. Saw a handful of men with a jacket no tie in the specialty restaurants and main dining room at night. Very relaxed dress code all around.  Makes for a very easy comfortable cruise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

but there is no specific dress code.

There is a dress code. This allows o to enforce certain standards:

The Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to the country club casual dress code. (Think elegant casual, although some passengers choose to get dressier.) Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Toscana 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sullivans10 said:

We have cruised often, but not yet on Oceania. Please tell me if most men wear a sport coat to dinner. My husband doesn't  want to bring one if not needed! 

Some  men do wear  a jacket  or even suits  but NOT REQUIRED 

Enjoy

9 hours ago, LadyCruisers said:

Just got off Regatta on Friday (our ninth O cruise). Jacket absolutely not required or necessary for men. Saw a handful of men with a jacket no tie in the specialty restaurants and main dining room at night. Very relaxed dress code all around.  Makes for a very easy comfortable cruise. 

A large part of the relaxed attitude is the maturity and courtesy broadly practiced by Oceania cruisers - don't wear your dreary play clothes (jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc.) when interacting with people to whom you are willing to show a modicum of respect.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sullivans10 said:

We have cruised often, but not yet on Oceania. Please tell me if most men wear a sport coat to dinner. My husband doesn't  want to bring one if not needed! 

After experimenting with various types of evening wear on various lines from back in the days when the maitre 'd was the clothes police, I finally settled on a cruise packing list that meets my needs and keeps me looking sharp for any evening on any cruise ship.

Since I often combine land travel with a cruise on one end, I pack light with mix-n-match items.  For the dress up nights, and in fact most nights since I carry a limited wardrobe, I don a pair of black jeans/slacks, a colored T-shirt, a black sport coat, and a pocket square that matches the T-shirt.

My sport coat weighs 20 ounces, so it's not a weight factor for packing.  I do, however, have an aversion for tying a rag around my neck after having to do so for years while working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

After experimenting with various types of evening wear on various lines from back in the days when the maitre 'd was the clothes police, I finally settled on a cruise packing list that meets my needs and keeps me looking sharp for any evening on any cruise ship.

Since I often combine land travel with a cruise on one end, I pack light with mix-n-match items.  For the dress up nights, and in fact most nights since I carry a limited wardrobe, I don a pair of black jeans/slacks, a colored T-shirt, a black sport coat, and a pocket square that matches the T-shirt.

My sport coat weighs 20 ounces, so it's not a weight factor for packing.  I do, however, have an aversion for tying a rag around my neck after having to do so for years while working.

THIS is the epitome my thoughts ... wear whatever works for you and  just 'look sharp'

On Riviera in June (Mediterranean), some wore jackets, some did not.  I did bring one and wore about 4 nights out of 10, including the wine dinner in La Reserve and then a Moet & Chandon champagne tasting. It was never required but felt good to go a little further on some nights. Other nights I was perfectly fine with nice slacks and a button-down/polo with collar.

• Like 6

On 9/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, jsn55 said:

I understand that you're not talking 'required', but 'what's the norm'.  My husband feels comfortable almost anywhere in a polo or dress shirt tucked in with a belt and decent slacks.  As long as one doesn't look like having just rolled out of bed, neatness rules over 'dressed up'  while travelling for all but a few, almost anywhere. 

From my experience on many Oceania cruises, he will be fine with that attire.  He doesn't need a sport coat or a suit.

A few years ago we dined with another couple early on a cruise.  He was wearing a suit and tie.  He noticed that many other gentlemen were far more casual.  So he asked about it, and I told him not to worry.

The next night we saw him in one of the specialty restaurants and he was FAR more casual.

The fact is that MOST gents on Oceania cruises are casual.  When a man wants to wear a sports coat he is free to do so. If he wants to "dress up", he can.  But as long as he doesn't show up for dinner in jeans with holes in them he will be fine. (The same goes for women,)

Mura

• Like 4

Per Frank Del Rio, you will not find a tie rack in the staterooms onboard Oceania. He wants to encourage you to leave your tie at home.

If somebody wants to play dress up, then that's alright, too; however, Dockers and polo are all that is really required.

Edited by BBQ Lover
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, zalusky said:

How about shoes?  During the day we probably wear a lot of tennis shoes.  Do people pack multiple pairs of shoes?

we pack a pr of dress shoes  (mine are smaller of course)

a pr of walking shoes we wear  & I slip in a pr of sandals like Tevas  for warm weather cruises

I have not managed to do just carry on yet  so we still take a 26" case each 🙂

33 minutes ago, zalusky said:

How about shoes?  During the day we probably wear a lot of tennis shoes.  Do people pack multiple pairs of shoes?

If you've ever spent 3 days or more wearing the same shoes, you'd know that yes, people pack multiple pairs of shoes.  I only tried it ONCE.  When traveling, you probably walk 4x as much as you do at home, and your feet require plenty of TLC.  This is why I read those reports of "I travelled for 3 weeks carrying only a 1-gallon zip-lock bag.  Into it I pack 53 things." with a large dose of skepticism. 

Edited by jsn55
thought
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Doubt if we could manage with a carry on. It would just about cater for my wife make-up paraphernalia! For a long trip often take 3 cases but no carry-on prefering small back packs. 

How are smart dark blue/black jeans? 

I no longer own a suit. Will buy one for the next funeral I attend. Wore a suit to eat dinner in the mess in the army and for work in the last century. Have a blazers & linen jackets and a tuxedo for more formal cruise lines. 

Edited by hawkesbaynz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

My husband wears Rockport shoes in the dining areas. However, he injured his big toe on one of the cabin doors and bled out like nothing. He could not wear shoes due to his bandage injured toe and he was allowed in Toscana with sandals.

I am sure that was a special circumstance  😉