Afternoon Tea

DrSea

Hi,

I have an upcoming PCL cruise next year and plan on attending the afternoon tea (not the royal afternoon tea).

Some questions:

1. Is there a dress code? I don't recall there being one

2. What teas are included? Green tea? I don't recall there being any floral teas included w/o an upcharge, but I could be wrong. I don't drink caffeine, so green tea is the limit before I start getting headaches. 

3. Does it happen daily?

4. Is there live music? 

5. What pastries are they serving now?

6. Can you get coffee? Some of my guests like to mix coffee and tea. 

7. Can you order ice cream during afternoon tea? Prior to the shutdown, a waiter would have to go somewhere to get it. But they were able to bring some with my cakes and etc. 

8. Any tips or things that are not well known?

Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Hi,

I have an upcoming PCL cruise next year and plan on attending the afternoon tea (not the royal afternoon tea).

Some questions:

1. Is there a dress code? I don't recall there being one  Same as for breakfast or lunch in a dining room. No swimming trunks. Must wear shoes.

2. What teas are included? Green tea? I don't recall there being any floral teas included w/o an upcharge, but I could be wrong. I don't drink caffeine, so green tea is the limit before I start getting headaches. 

3. Does it happen daily?  It used to be every day except embarkation day.  Now it is only on sea days, but there have been reports that on port days the food part is available in the buffet area.

4. Is there live music?  Probably just recorded music these days.

5. What pastries are they serving now?

6. Can you get coffee? Some of my guests like to mix coffee and tea. Yes, but it may take a while for them to get it.

7. Can you order ice cream during afternoon tea? Prior to the shutdown, a waiter would have to go somewhere to get it. But they were able to bring some with my cakes and etc. 

Thanks. 

Answers to some of your questions in red above

• Like 1

We just came from Island Princess a cou[e of weeks ago.

There were pots of tea and pots of coffee, no choice of specialty teas.

Serving scones with preserves and whipped cream, cookies, squares, little sandwiches.

Happened on sea days only

No live music

No ice cream

enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will try to answer some of your questions within your quote.  I see that some have already responded before I could finish.  Oh, well.

31 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Hi,

Some questions:

1. Is there a dress code? I don't recall there being one. Reasonable dress code (no swimwear, tank tops, etc).  Let's try to keep this a little classy.

2. What teas are included? Green tea? I don't recall there being any floral teas included w/o an upcharge, but I could be wrong. I don't drink caffeine, so green tea is the limit before I start getting headaches. You can ask for decaf tea, lemon, camomile, or anything they would normally serve in the MDR.

3. Does it happen daily?  Happens on sea days

4. Is there live music?  There used to be a harpist, a quartet, a guitarist, pianist....but haven't heard recently.

5. What pastries are they serving now?  Scones, cookies, cakes, sandwiches, tartlets.  Items you might see in the IC

6. Can you get coffee? Some of my guests like to mix coffee and tea.  Yes, you can get coffee/decaf/hot water (bring your own tea bag from buffet.

7. Can you order ice cream during afternoon tea? Prior to the shutdown, a waiter would have to go somewhere to get it. But they were able to bring some with my cakes and etc.  Have never requested ice cream.  Would think not.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seachelt said:

We just came from Island Princess a cou[e of weeks ago.

There were pots of tea and pots of coffee, no choice of specialty teas.

Serving scones with preserves and whipped cream, cookies, squares, little sandwiches.

Happened on sea days only

No live music

No ice cream

enjoy!

Currently on the Sky and every day has had a Afternoon Tea session at 3pm in the Estrella. 

• Like 2

On my cruise on the Caribbean Princess last month, afternoon tea was not offered when the ship was in some ports. It was in others. I did not see a pattern. We made it to five ports. They did not have afternoon tea when we were in Halifax and Sydney. We did have it in Nanortalik, Qaqortoq, and St. John's. It was offered every sea day.

I only made it once. The waiter immediately poured me a cup of tea before I could stop him. I asked for a pot of chamomile. He took away the poured cup and brought me a clean one and a pot of chamomile tea. There are also other options for people who can't have caffeine. Just ask.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

On my cruise on the Caribbean Princess last month, afternoon tea was not offered when the ship was in some ports. It was in others. I did not see a pattern. We made it to five ports. They did not have afternoon tea when we were in Halifax and Sydney. We did have it in Nanortalik, Qaqortoq, and St. John's. It was offered every sea day.

I only made it once. The waiter immediately poured me a cup of tea before I could stop him. I asked for a pot of chamomile. He took away the poured cup and brought me a clean one and a pot of chamomile tea. There are also other options for people who can't have caffeine. Just ask.

Thanks. Yea I can't sleep when I drink caffeine 

Does anyone here have any info on the Royal Afternoon Tea.  Are any ships doing that? Is that the one where they set up a special area with tablecloths.  Maybe a live musician for that one?   There is so much going on that I haven't really had the time to make that a priority.  I like to be outdoors on warm weather sailing.  But that always seemed to be a more special experience.

• Like 1

I have not done the Royal Tea, but maybe I'll try it with all the FCC I have to use up.  My last Princess cruise was on the Majestic where regular tea service was offered.  I missed a day but was happy to find out they had taken the tea items to the buffet for late afternoon snacks.

• Like 1

I don't care for big pots of pre-brewed tea that have been "stewing" for who knows how long. I turn my cup upside down to prevent frisky waiters from pouring before I can request the tea that I prefer OR I'll ask for a pot of hot water and bring a tea bag from the buffet or a specialty tea bag from the IC bar.

DH doesn't drink tea at all. He requests coffee.

Never a problem.

Never thought to ask for ice cream at afternoon tea. Way too much so close to dinner.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I have not done the Royal Tea, but maybe I'll try it with all the FCC I have to use up.  My last Princess cruise was on the Majestic where regular tea service was offered.  I missed a day but was happy to find out they had taken the tea items to the buffet for late afternoon snacks.

They usually have scones available in the buffet for an afternoon snack. I had one last month in the buffet after getting back to the ship from port one day. But it doesn't feel as classy as being served tea in the dining room.

• Like 2