Can you drop off carryon in cabin at embarkation on Emerald?

airhose

Sometimes the cabins are ready and sometimes they're not. On my Regal cruise in February, they had the fire doors closed in the corridors to prevent passengers from going to their cabins. They made an announcement around 11:30 that the cabins were ready. I boarded the ship a little before 11.

4 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

A couple weeks ago on Emerald the fire doors were closed to the cabin corridors.  Cabins were ready around noon.  I once had guest services hold my bag, and that was suggested on the Emerald as well but I did not partake since I was staying on the ship.

Guest Services is a good idea.  I am traveling with a medical device in a rolling suitcase so if my room isn't ready, I'll ask them to hold that while I get lunch. 

38 minutes ago, cali-croozer said:

Guest Services is a good idea.  I am traveling with a medical device in a rolling suitcase so if my room isn't ready, I'll ask them to hold that while I get lunch. 

The couple of times our cabin has not been ready at embarkation (pre-covid) we received a note upon boarding that instructed passengers they could leave carry-ons in the Crown Grill (IIRC) if they didn't want to carry them around.  I presume it was a secured but don't know for sure because we just took ours with us to the MDR for lunch (so did many other passengers).

• Thanks 1

I have never heard of Guest Services being available for taking custody of thousands of passengers' carry-on luggage.  What a nightmare that would be!  I always try to avoid Guest Services on Embarkation and Disembarkation Days!

If I board before the cabins are available, either I will go to the Main Dining Room (with my carry-on bags) for lunch or I will find a comfortable place on the Lido Deck (if the weather is gorgeous) to wait until the cabins are available.   I'll buy my drink package and sit and relax.  Once they announce that the cabins are ready, I'll go drop off my carry-on luggage and go (back) to the Lido Deck to continue relaxing.  Or maybe I'll explore the ship if she isn't one I know.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, cheeseclan said:

Not sure that is possible on embarkation day.  I would think they are trying to get people on at that time, not off.  

I am pretty sure that can be done since in-transit passengers (those on the cruise just ended and the upcoming cruise) do it.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I am pretty sure that can be done since in-transit passengers (those on the cruise just ended and the upcoming cruise) do it.

I still do not think it is allowed as the in transit passengers go thru customs and immigration early and then are allowed off.   They are usually out for most of the day.  I just don't see it happening for guests embarking that day.   Most people want to get on and start the vacation.

Airhose, What about just taking your hand carried luggage with you or checking it all in at the pier or having the hotel hold it all for you?

On 9/12/2022 at 5:33 AM, airhose said:

We would like to go off the ship for a couple of hours after our early embarkation.   TIA.

I have never heard of getting off on embarkation day after boarding.  I have heard of people dropping off their luggage at the pier and then checking out the city and then boarding on embarkation day.

8 minutes ago, rsquirrel said:

I have never heard of getting off on embarkation day after boarding.  I have heard of people dropping off their luggage at the pier and then checking out the city and then boarding on embarkation day.

We have done it with no problem.