Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 37

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 12 and Sunday, September 18.

Last week before the Equinox! Pre-equinox photos are in vogue this week!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

A few years ago, the PAW photo featured an icy closeup of one of these truly excellent margaritas from our favorite Mexican restaurant. The price was fair, and they were the best house margaritas ever. They still are, but with new pricing. The restaurant survived the lock-down by doing take-out but the cost of doing business these days has forced them to raise prices by 50%+. At least the workers are making twice what they were. Sadly, that “living wage” is being eroded by prices being raised to provide that wage and with inflation, they will soon be back where they were on the economic scale. Too bad Economics 101 or even basic math isn’t a requirement to be an elected official or an activist.

Cold Gold

940250524_2022-37ColdGold.thumb.jpg.92fba4ab8961371befab51097a0fe144.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On the last two days of this weekly thread, I was on vacation up at Disney World - Saturday Sep 17th was spent at Magic Kingdom, and Sunday Sep 18th at Epcot...

Those who aren't Disney photographers and dark ride enthusiasts won't understand the significance, but this is a holy grail shot for dark ride shooters.  In the Haunted Mansion ride, you come down backwards from a hill and the ride car spins around to forward - right at the corner when it spins is this animatronic grave digger and his dog - and you've got about 5 seconds to get a shot - in horribly dark light.  What's more, I was shooting a manual focus Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 lens, ISO 12,800, handheld at 1/4 second shutter and F1.4...not bad!:
original.jpg

It was a rainy day - showers came in and out - which helped thin the massive crowds a bit:

original.jpg

The overcast light was interesting as the evening approached - this scene is of Frontierland, looking across the river at Splash Mountain:

original.jpg

Dark came by 7pm - a little earlier than normal - you can just see the rolling front of clouds rising above the buildings on Main Street, as a huge storm approached:

original.jpg

At Epcot the following day, it stayed mostly rain free until much later in the evening.  Though that's not always a good thing, as it meant temps of 97 degrees with humidity around 80%!

Taiko drummers at the Japan Pavilion pagoda:

original.jpg

It was the Food & Wine festival, so admittedly I was doing a lot more eating and drinking than photography...the light was nice passing through Morocco so I decided to take a shot while walking with my tangerine daquiri:

original.jpg

And to end the day, this is the view from my huge balcony of my villa at the Boardwalk Resort, looking over the resort lagoon at Beach Club Resort across the way. and the approaching clouds of a distant storm:

original.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...