Had to cancel a cruise that starts on Saturday - questions

Homala

We are just devastated, but my husband’s back went out and we are cancelling. All I could see for canceling a HAL cruise is to write, email or fax them - no phone calls. I wrote this morning, hours ago, but haven’t heard anything back yet. I looked online and our reservation still shows. How will I know if it’s been canceled?

Should I call, too, but what number?  

I need to hear from HAL to get in writing what exactly we will get back from them before I can complete my travel insurance claim. (We have HAL platinum and got travel insurance, too.)  

Will HAL automatically refund to our credit card?  I don’t want FCC that could expire before we are ready to use it. 

Do I have to do anything about specialty dining reservations we pre-paid?

Any other tips or suggestions?  

So worried about my husband in so much pain, but frantically trying to cancel flights, hotels, cars, etc.  Feeling overwhelmed. Thank you in advance!

Holly (Homala)

When I have cancelled, I have always called them at the regular reservation number. Remind the agent you have the HAL platinum and you want it refunded to your card.  The 90% of the fare will be refunded rather quickly to the credit card used (at least in normal times it was.). I would not take FCC but rather credit card refund. 

The prepaid dining reservations and any excursions pre-paid should be refunded automatically. 

I would also call when they open to get an agent quickly. I think they open at 6AM Pacific time.

• Like 3

Sorry for the anxiety and stress of a last minute health issue.

As far as cancellation, I’m not sure why you expect to get FCC. HAL will refund port fees and taxes then the rest is up to insurance. 

With two insurance policies, you have to decide how to file. HAL will refund 90%, but you are cancelling for a covered medical reason so the travel policy should cover 100%. I don’t see the need to file with both.

Did you buy the third-party policy through your travel agent or a broker? I’d call for advice on how to handle it, but it seems the travel policy should take care of it all.

• Like 1

I’ve contacted the third party insurance company we used and they want everything canceled first and to see what we get back. Then they cover the rest, according to them. 

On hold with HAL right now. 

• Like 1

Got thru to someone at HAL pretty quickly!  Canceled and confirmed 90% will be refunded direct to my credit card. No idea as to when. But that’s ok. Very nice person at customer service, although difficult to understand. He put up with my tearful voice, so kudos to him. 🙂

They will send an email confirming everything and then I’ll have the paperwork necessary to submit to my third party insurance company for the remaining amount. 

Now I just need my husband to get better, so we can think about what cruise we can take to make up for this lost one. Maybe in the spring. 

thanks again!

• Like 7

So sorry about your husband and having to cancel your cruise.   Glad you’ve got ahold of HAL now and cancelled.  We’ve never had to cancel using the Platinum insurance but from what I’ve read from others the refund to your credit card should be within 7-10 business days.

Years ago we had an Alaska cruise booked and I told my husband not to play hockey that morning…well he did & got hurt.  Thankfully we had time to get him to the chiropractor which helped a lot & we live close to the port so made the cruise.   I was not a happy camper when he came home, lol.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

So sorry about your husband and having to cancel your cruise.   Glad you’ve got ahold of HAL now and cancelled.  We’ve never had to cancel using the Platinum insurance but from what I’ve read from others the refund to your credit card should be within 7-10 business days.

Years ago we had an Alaska cruise booked and I told my husband not to play hockey that morning…well he did & got hurt.  Thankfully we had time to get him to the chiropractor which helped a lot & we live close to the port so made the cruise.   I was not a happy camper when he came home, lol.  

Oh my gosh!  I’m glad he was able to feel well enough to go. I bet your husband doesn’t play hockey so close to cruises now!  

My husband’s doctor told him he shouldn’t travel for at least several weeks. He’s had a herniated disk in the past, so his back is a little fragile to begin with. But he hasn’t been in this much pain in years. 

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Homala.Sorry you had to cancel. Prior to Covid, I had to cancel a cruise and the credit went thru to my card immediately while my agent was on the phone with HAL.

Wow so fast!  No such luck for me. I’m just thrilled to get 90% back in a week or two. Fingers crossed that our other insurance covers the rest, but my husband isn’t holding his breath. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homala said:

Oh my gosh!  I’m glad he was able to feel well enough to go. I bet your husband doesn’t play hockey so close to cruises now!  

My husband’s doctor told him he shouldn’t travel for at least several weeks. He’s had a herniated disk in the past, so his back is a little fragile to begin with. But he hasn’t been in this much pain in years. 

It is impossible to travel anywhere in that much pain. I am sure that the thought of doing anything at all is beyond our husband right now.   I hope he feels better soon.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Homala said:

He was younger then so bounced back thankfully.  But now, he was told no more hockey (not by me, by a doctor).  He’s not happy about being told that & wants a 2nd opinion, sigh. 

I can see why your husband’s doctor told him that.  Sounds very painful what he’s going through.  Hope he can find comfort soon. 

Hope you get your email confirmation soon and the credit back soon as well.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Homala said:

Wow so fast!  No such luck for me. I’m just thrilled to get 90% back in a week or two. Fingers crossed that our other insurance covers the rest, but my husband isn’t holding his breath. 

I expect it will. You are cancelling for a valid reason. You just need to provide the necessary documentation. 

Glad to hear it is going well so far.

• Like 1

Make sure you file your claims w/in the time frames listed on your policy.  They can be quite short and require doctor visits and documentation w/in very specific periods of time.  Do NOT trust what the agent tells you over the phone. Start the claims process for both policies you hold online now.   This way you have documented your claim(s).  They can then pay out as agreed by the policy terms.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Make sure you file your claims w/in the time frames listed on your policy.  They can be quite short and require doctor visits and documentation w/in very specific periods of time.  Do NOT trust what the agent tells you over the phone. Start the claims process for both policies you hold online now.   This way you have documented your claim(s).  They can then pay out as agreed by the policy terms.  

Excellent advice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

Great advice.  Thank you!

I’ve managed to file the claim already and now just wait to hear. And focus on my sweet husband. 

thank you again for the advice. You’re all the best!

• Like 1

Double check whether you need any documentation from a physician.

There is often a requirement like that.  In other words, insurers don't let passengers cancel and "declare themselves sick" so they can get their money back... for obvious reasons.

NOT having a physician's documentation, and possibly a visit --> at the time (virtual may be fine) is a reason I see for complaints about travel insurance not paying.

Don't make that mistake!

See what the insurance policy itself wording requires and and do it that way.

GOOD LUCK to your husband!

GC

• Like 3

Sorry for providing another bit of advice, but I learned this the hard way.  Write your CLAiM NUMBER on top of every piece of paper that you send/fax/scan/email to every insurer.  Papers seem to get separated once they hit the Claim Adjuster’s Desk.  That missing number can delay a claim for months.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Homala said:

We are just devastated, but my husband’s back went out and we are cancelling. All I could see for canceling a HAL cruise is to write, email or fax them - no phone calls. I wrote this morning, hours ago, but haven’t heard anything back yet. I looked online and our reservation still shows. How will I know if it’s been canceled?

Should I call, too, but what number?  

I need to hear from HAL to get in writing what exactly we will get back from them before I can complete my travel insurance claim. (We have HAL platinum and got travel insurance, too.)  

Will HAL automatically refund to our credit card?  I don’t want FCC that could expire before we are ready to use it. 

Do I have to do anything about specialty dining reservations we pre-paid?

Any other tips or suggestions?  

So worried about my husband in so much pain, but frantically trying to cancel flights, hotels, cars, etc.  Feeling overwhelmed. Thank you in advance!

Holly (Homala)

I know 1st hand your troubles. I too had to cancel our trip due to me getting a sciatica attack and a herniated disc at the same time. I couldn't walk without crutches for 8 weeks.  Waiting on our insurance too.

Danny

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Double check whether you need any documentation from a physician.

There is often a requirement like that.  In other words, insurers don't let passengers cancel and "declare themselves sick" so they can get their money back... for obvious reasons.

NOT having a physician's documentation, and possibly a visit --> at the time (virtual may be fine) is a reason I see for complaints about travel insurance not paying.

Don't make that mistake!

See what the insurance policy itself wording requires and and do it that way.

GOOD LUCK to your husband!

GC

Thank you. My husband went to his doctor already, and his doctor advised him not to travel. He wrote it out, so we could submit that to insurance. Fingers crossed we provided what is required. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, propwash said:

I know 1st hand your troubles. I too had to cancel our trip due to me getting a sciatica attack and a herniated disc at the same time. I couldn't walk without crutches for 8 weeks.  Waiting on our insurance too.

Danny

Oh no!  I’m so sorry that you’re going through that. I hope you feel better soon.