Cut backs i noticed on breeze.

seaman11

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Also their choice to pay poverty wages and overwork their employees such that only people from poorer countries are willing to do the work.

You'll probably find that their wages (including tips) aren't at poverty levels in the countries they come from. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

One word: backwash.🤮

This article is not specifically about refilling your drink container from public sources, but the information contained therein is relevant to your question:

https://www.unmc.edu/newsroom/2006/03/28/microbiologist-weighs-in-on-reusing-water-bottles/

Thanks for the link.

1 minute ago, d12j28 said:

You'll probably find that their wages (including tips) aren't at poverty levels in the countries they come from. 

Doesn't change my original point that cruiselines chose a business model that relied on foreign employees who could easily get visas. It worked for a long time, until a global pandemic slowed down the visa pipeline. 

Yeah it sucks, but they don't get any sympathy from me because that's how business works; you make a decision to save money and sometimes it turns around to bite you when that event you thought would never happen actually does happen.  Notwithstanding that they could have brought ships back online at a slower pace so they could properly crew them instead of pushing their employees to the breaking point.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Also their choice to pay poverty wages and overwork their employees such that only people from poorer countries are willing to do the work.

A seaman recruit in the US Navy will earn $1800 a month during their first year of service.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A seaman recruit in the US Navy will earn $1800 a month during their first year of service.

4 minutes ago, Crismess669 said:

That’s even worse than I thought.

And free room and board, meals, medical, dental..........

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

And free room and board, meals, medical, dental..........

The cruise line also offers similar benefits. Free room and board on a Navy ship consists of a bunk and a locker shared with 30 to 100 other folks. It's all relative.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Then enjoy your corn flakes, ramen noodle, and bologna cruise at the lowest price possible.

If it ever gets to that point, which I doubt, then I would likely just stop cruising. The fact is we are all a bunch of armchair quarterbacks with our "well, if they only did this" or "they only did that" analysis using paltry data. I trust the cruise lines (not just Carnival) to make the best business decisions they can make based on the data which they have based on real information in real time and in the real world. I'm sure that if anything were as easy as it's purported to be on this board that it would be done, but of course it's never that easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The cruise line also offers similar benefits. Free room and board on a Navy ship consists of a bunk and a locker shared with 30 to 100 other folks. It's all relative.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just throwing in the other benefits. 

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

Frankly I don't understand how it's seen as unsanitary to fill your own cup at the water station. Do people think possible germs migrate upstream and infect the dispenser?

Agreed - and people also refill the cups that are already provided at the drink stations, so it's no different IMHO.  

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

If it ever gets to that point, which I doubt, then I would likely just stop cruising. The fact is we are all a bunch of armchair quarterbacks with our "well, if they only did this" or "they only did that" analysis using paltry data. I trust the cruise lines (not just Carnival) to make the best business decisions they can make based on the data which they have based on real information in real time and in the real world. I'm sure that if anything were as easy as it's purported to be on this board that it would be done, but of course it's never that easy.

Corn flakes and coffee is already all you can get delivered to your room for free. Well, that and horribly dry danishes and juice from concentrate.

They've cut out baked potatoes in the dining rooms in favor of cheaper sides. Lots of rice on the buffets these days too. And how long has it been since you've been able to get bacon every day on the buffet?

The current striploin is at least a whole cut of beef, but it's certainly not as tender as bologna.

I guess my point is we're not far off and we won't get there overnight but you can definitely see the direction Carnival is trending. It will be death by 1000 cuts and we're about 950 in so far.

• Like 4

Just now, mz-s said:

Corn flakes and coffee is already all you can get delivered to your room for free. Well, that and horribly dry danishes and juice from concentrate.

They've cut out baked potatoes in the dining rooms in favor of cheaper sides. Lots of rice on the buffets these days too. And how long has it been since you've been able to get bacon every day on the buffet?

The current striploin is at least a whole cut of beef, but it's certainly not as tender as bologna.

I guess my point is we're not far off and we won't get there overnight but you can definitely see the direction Carnival is trending. It will be death by 1000 cuts and we're about 950 in so far.

And if it gets to the point where they actually start losing customers they would need to make adjustments to attract new customers. I haven't seen a cutback yet (temporary or permanent) that would cause me to pay more for a cruise with a competitor. Might happen. But probably not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

Frankly I don't understand how it's seen as unsanitary to fill your own cup at the water station. Do people think possible germs migrate upstream and infect the dispenser?

Some touch the tap with cups they drank out of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

And if it gets to the point where they actually start losing customers they would need to make adjustments to attract new customers. I haven't seen a cutback yet (temporary or permanent) that would cause me to pay more for a cruise with a competitor. Might happen. But probably not.

Right now it seems that Carnival's strategy is to replace their seasoned customers that leave with a new less refined clientele. That's why the email I got for my cruise next week reminded me that marijuana is not allowed, teenagers have a 1AM curfew, and fighting will result in being banned from future cruises.

• Like 5