Cut backs i noticed on breeze.

seaman11

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

We've actually enjoyed cheeses in the buffet that were an unintended upgrade because the supplier (Sysco) was out of the spec cheese usually ordered. I asked a Sous Chef if the excellent cheese was now standard and he explained the reason it was being served. In this case rather than do without cheddar cheese for that week the Panorama's food manager chose to pay more for a higher quality cheese that was available. 

Thanks for sharing. This is a great example of why I loathe these cutback discussions. Some busybody gets on here to talk about cutbacks because Guy's had different fries at one point. Probably insinuating that it's so the CEO can buy a bigger yacht.

When in reality supply chain issues take all form. Maybe the fresh potatoes were double the cost of frozen that week. Maybe they wasn't going to be enough supply in time. It's the local decisions to still deliver an experience for the customers. Some things could be better. Some could be worse. Life is too short to always find something to complain about. If you believe there is another company that perfectly suits your needs, please go there and let others enjoy the brands they want to.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

Carnival cruise ships aren't immune.  Their competitors have once again managed to avoid such crisis.

Hardly a crisis. You can pay a lot more for a little more bacon on the competitors, if you wish. I appreciate Carnival trying to manage costs in these trying times.

• Thanks 1

Here is my issue that some want to degrade as nothing more than a 'petulant child' whining.  I have been cruising for nearly two decades, multiple trips on many different lines.  My favorite and who got the majority of our business was always Carnival.  I always believed they compared well to their other mainstream competitors while staying just a little more friendly to the budget. I, like many other long term cruisers on here, have spent tens of thousands of dollars with Carnival over the years. 

To see how far they are straying from the product they traditionally offered that I have enjoyed for close to 20 years is disappointing to me.  As a long term customer I think I am well within my right to discuss how I believe the company is degrading the experience.  If you are willing to just blindly take whatever they are gracious enough to offer then good for you but don't expect everyone to have that outlook.  Just as people are free to offer positive feedback when a product is done right, negative feedback is also warranted when product is slipping. 

So....if hearing critiques cause you anxiety just scrolling on by is probably the best option because there is nothing improper about discussing the experience they are offering to their paying customers.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Here is my issue that some want to degrade as nothing more than a 'petulant child' whining.  I have been cruising for nearly two decades, multiple trips on many different lines.  My favorite and who got the majority of our business was always Carnival.  I always believed they compared well to their other mainstream competitors while staying just a little more friendly to the budget. I, like many other long term cruisers on here, have spent tens of thousands of dollars with Carnival over the years. 

To see how far they are straying from the product they traditionally offered that I have enjoyed for close to 20 years is disappointing to me.  As a long term customer I think I am well within my right to discuss how I believe the company is degrading the experience.  If you are willing to just blindly take whatever they are gracious enough to offer then good for you but don't expect everyone to have that outlook.  Just as people are free to offer positive feedback when a product is done right, negative feedback is also warranted when product is slipping. 

So....if hearing critiques cause you anxiety just scrolling on by is probably the best option because there is nothing improper about discussing the experience they are offering to their paying customers.

I think your points are very valid. However I don’t think Carnival is the only brand that has changed over the years as many on here think.  My first RCL and Carnival cruises back in the 80’s were drastically different than both are today.  Many changes are positive and some are disappointing.  But to think Carnival is the only brand that has changed over the years is plain wrong.  And not only cruises have changed.  Almost every business in every industry has had to make cost saving decisions and in many cases has degraded the product.  When that happens we as consumers can find the product or service we prefer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I think your points are very valid. However I don’t think Carnival is the only brand that has changed over the years as many on here think.  My first RCL and Carnival cruises back in the 80’s were drastically different than both are today.  Many changes are positive and some are disappointing.  But to think Carnival is the only brand that has changed over the years is plain wrong.  And not only cruises have changed.  Almost every business in every industry has had to make cost saving decisions and in many cases has degraded the product.  When that happens we as consumers can find the product or service we prefer.  

Nobody is here saying Carnival is alone in diluting their product. But it sort of makes sense that when you're on a Carnival forum, most of the discussion will be about Carnival's product.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

All cruise lines have changed. None are immune from inflation, supply chain issues, etc.

and all lobster on cruise ships is frozen.

5 hours ago, ray98 said:

This is called your opinion. That's it. You do not have data nor anything tangible as to what is an actual cutback. The person next to you might not agree with your statement. The major thing that has changed in 20 years on Carnival and other lines are the clientele, in my opinion, what they expect and most importantly how they act onboard. That is the real change, again in my opinion. I have been sailing for 20 years also, like you so it's only fair that I provide my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

This is called your opinion. That's it. You do not have data nor anything tangible as to what is an actual cutback. The person next to you might not agree with your statement. The major thing that has changed in 20 years on Carnival and other lines are the clientele, in my opinion, what they expect and most importantly how they act onboard. That is the real change, again in my opinion. I have been sailing for 20 years also, like you so it's only fair that I provide my opinion. 

Agree, our opinions.  The clientele thing has happened everywhere - cruises, everywhere.  Society goes though changes and as we age our opinions / beliefs / behaviors change.  Businesses try and keep up to drive profits and will always alienate some but attract others. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ray98 said:

The same thing can be said about major hotel chains, airlines, other cruise lines. People who sailed Carnival before you can reminisce of the things they thought were better in the previous 20 years. I love the airline example the best. People will moan and complain about legroom, "free food", "free baggage", service, etc yet they will consistently pick the cheapest flights. If you truly want all of these other things, they are available. We've just become accustomed to wanting everything to free, at the lowest price. 

We love to cry and scream at the negatives, while ignoring the positives. There are plenty of people who have sailed for the past 20 years who consider the overall product to be just as good if not better. The new ships have literally solved the age-old ask of more included dinner options. Shaq's big chicken is another huge addition. Imagine talking to a new cruiser and saying this all sucks now because back when you sailed tiny ships with no entertainment, you got a chocolate on your pillow and the food was brought to your room for free. 

Price will always win for the masses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just thinks its a little sad people that play devils advocate every time a cutback is noticed and posted. Hotels do it. Airlines do it. I didn't use it. Why do you use it? I like long lines.

The most loyal fans of any cruise line/hotel/airline are the exact reason for the cutbacks. You're not going to leave over this small thing...or that small thing...not now...there will be a new comemorative pin next year and if you leave now you won't get it. Just stay. What if another brand doesn't have a piano bar? 

It's all good. They don't have enough staff to come to your room twice a day or stop melees on deck, but at least PB&J is only $5.  It could have been $7...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I just thinks its a little sad people that play devils advocate every time a cutback is noticed and posted. Hotels do it. Airlines do it. I didn't use it. Why do you use it? I like long lines.

The most loyal fans of any cruise line/hotel/airline are the exact reason for the cutbacks. You're not going to leave over this small thing...or that small thing...not now...there will be a new comemorative pin next year and if you leave now you won't get it. Just stay. What if another brand doesn't have a piano bar? 

It's all good. They don't have enough staff to come to your room twice a day or stop melees on deck, but at least PB&J is only $5.  It could have been $7...

I'm only 195 days away from being Diamond, I'm staying right where I am! And by the way - McDonald's charges for sandwiches too! So the grass isn't always greener!

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'm only 195 days away from being Diamond, I'm staying right where I am! And by the way - McDonald's charges for sandwiches too! So the grass isn't always greener!

I truly wish you could have experienced the Diamond level as it was when first introduced.  These days it's nothing more than a fluke. But yet Mickey D's is better 😉

I think Carnival is perhaps the only cruise line that is still sailing a 31 year old ship (Ecstasy) although I believe it is being retired in October 2022. But sailing the Ecstasy vs the Celebration would give one a wonderful comparison of how cruise ships and cruising has progressed over this period of time.  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:28 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Back to the water refill topic.  I didn’t finish my thought.  Even if you use a large mug with the removable top, after putting ice and water in it, it will splash back up on the spigot and contaminate the spout.  Just use a clean cup and pour from that into your bottle.  You may think you have no cooties to spread, but I beg to differ.

Thank you... you have given me something to think about... I honestly never thought about any splash back from the cup as being contaminated, but you are correct. In my mind, as long as where my mouth touched didn't touch the spigot, everything should be fine, but what you say makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, mz-s said:

You only need to hear 780 more announcements about FUN and you'll be there.  I have faith. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:15 AM, ray98 said:

I've been on 5 cruises since the restart.  My observation on all is Carnival is really trying to fill the ships with red and blue cards.  I really think they are trying to attract customers who have little cruise experience that won't realize what is missing from the traditional offerings. 

To the new cruiser this will be the way cruising always was.  You don't miss twice daily room service if you were never given the choice.  You don't miss a real steak in the MDR if you were only ever offered it at an upcharge.  You don't miss free room service if it was always offered at a cost.  You don't miss the ability to eat a late night meal if it was never open.  The list is endless even if I just go back the 15 or so years I've been cruising.

Lets look at the breakdown for a late June cruise on the Panorama posted by John Heald.

Total Guests 4732
Guests Under 18 974

Blue Card 3168
Red Card 499
Gold Card 884
Platinum Card 174
Diamond Card 7

Agree.  I was exclusively Carnival.  Since the restart I've done 1 Disney, 3 Royal Caribbean, and 2 Carnival.  Taking out Disney, as that's in a different class (though their food buffet was horrid and open only a couple hours) the two worst were Carnival.  Completely different clientele; nothing like the pre-COVID experiences.  I saw mostly Blue and Red cards. The dining room was so loud I could not hear the person sitting across from me.

I like morning room service.  I have to eat immediately after I get up, and having a power bar is not why I go on a cruise.  Going to the buffet and standing in a line of 20, unshowered and in my robe, is not going to happen.  RC gave us hot bacon and scrambled eggs on the gratis breakfast, and milk.  Not so, Carnival.

Coming back exhausted from a day full of excursions, a clean room and bath is lovely.  Not anymore on Carnival.  I could go on.  The one thing that is the same prepandemic is the quality of the crew.  They bent over backwards in the things they could and were so eager to please.

I'm on the cusp of Platinum, where the rest of my family resides.  My next two cruises are going to be on Royal, who did a better job overall.  Their negatives were outweighed by the RyanAir feel of Carnival this year.  I know Carnival won't go broke because we leave, but I am certain my family are not an anomaly.  We would have been happier for a higher cost vs. lower quality.  They will probably pick-up more "Walmart shoppers" and lose the "Target shoppers" (no offense intended, I get my groceries at Walmart--just type of bargain hunters).

But one thing for Carnival to keep in mind, there once was a cruise line focused on being cheap with no frills (Easy Cruise was the name I think), and it went out of business.

Edited by periduncan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, periduncan said:

Agree.  I was exclusively Carnival.  Since the restart I've done 1 Disney, 3 Royal Caribbean, and 2 Carnival.  Taking out Disney, as that's in a different class (though their food buffet was horrid and open only a couple hours) the two worst were Carnival.  Completely different clientele; nothing like the pre-COVID experiences.  I saw mostly Blue and Red cards. The dining room was so loud I could not hear the person sitting across from me.

I like morning room service.  I have to eat immediately after I get up, and having a power bar is not why I go on a cruise.  Going to the buffet and standing in a line of 20, unshowered and in my robe, is not going to happen.  RC gave us hot bacon and scrambled eggs on the gratis breakfast, and milk.  Not so, Carnival.

Coming back exhausted from a day full of excursions, a clean room and bath is lovely.  Not anymore on Carnival.  I could go on.  The one thing that is the same prepandemic is the quality of the crew.  They bent over backwards in the things they could and were so eager to please.

I'm on the cusp of Platinum, where the rest of my family resides.  My next two cruises are going to be on Royal, who did a better job overall.  Their negatives were outweighed by the RyanAir feel of Carnival this year.  I know Carnival won't go broke because we leave, but I am certain my family are not an anomaly.  We would have been happier for a higher cost vs. lower quality.  They will probably pick-up more "Walmart shoppers" and lose the "Target shoppers" (no offense intended, I get my groceries at Walmart--just type of bargain hunters).

But one thing for Carnival to keep in mind, there once was a cruise line focused on being cheap with no frills (Easy Cruise was the name I think), and it went out of business.

Good points all, and well-put.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:01 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Also their choice to pay poverty wages and overwork their employees such that only people from poorer countries are willing to do the work.

Only if they (and Royal, NCL, etc) want to stay in business.

6 hours ago, periduncan said:

I agree with everything you said. For us two things are keeping us with Carnival for the time being. One is we have a full line-up of free cruises through March and the other is the wonderful crew. But I fully understand if you chose other lines.

• Like 2

So I have come to adapt my cruise experience with Carnival and will now pack protein bars for breakfast, zip lock bags for take out from the deli, small tupperware containers for taking my MDR dessert back to my cabin (as I hear they are no longer permitting PAX to take them from the dining room). I have also begun to enjoy the scavenger hunt for passenger loyalty perks and have decided to take a small purse for my phone so I can keep up with the menu and activities on my phone. Now if I can just get the microwave in my carry on....

• Haha 3

On 9/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, sanmarcosman said:

Have you been on a Vista Class ship and may be thinking of the frozen churned gelato served in the lido buffet at lunch each day? 

Gelato 2.jpg

I have on Panorama. They easily could have and should have added that machine to every ship by now. But, they have not.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

This is not a change or a recent cutback, but just pointing out that they can't even call what's in the soft serve machines "ice cream".  The first 3 ingredients are water,  sugar, and oil.

Yea. CORN SYRUP. Like in high fructose corn syrup. That ingredient list demonstrates why we do NOT eat that free for all poison on their ships.