Live-NCL Breakaway 10/30-11/06/2022-New England/Canada-Club Balcony Suite

graphicguy

34 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

For those of you who had scheduled a proctored COVID test through OnPoint-testing.com, it looks like they've closed up shop.  

Man, that is annoying.  I know I saw initial reports of them going belly up back in Sept. on the RCL forums that left people hanging but then 2 weeks ago I saw people who said they successfully used them for my Prima Bermuda cruise so I thought they were back in business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

NCL used to have the best Concierges at sea.  It sounds like they lost some over the shutdown.  I never had a concierge turn down any reasonable request...and most times, they did what seemed impossible.

We had some wonderful concierges in the past. Virginia, who we had back in 2016 during our first time in the Haven, was a standout.

I asked the Concierge this most recent time around for a few minor things:

First, the aforementioned restaurant voucher swap. Request denied. 

Second, if we could book an excursion for Miami (our cruise was re-routed there). We were going to just book it on our stateroom TV, but I went to the Concierge, thinking I could ask about our Latitudes discount, and also, because we had access to a Concierge, so why not just talk to him? He said that the excursion was sold out, but would put us on the wait-list, and to look out for the tickets in our stateroom. I figured he'd work his magic, but alas, no excursion tickets ever showed up at our stateroom—but I was charged for 1 person. Thankfully the charge was against non-refundable OBC, which I was having trouble burning anyway since the shops were closed. But still...wasn't exactly helpful, and he never followed up with us either. 

Third, I asked him if he had any recommendations for a family-friendly thing to do in Nassau. He didn't have any recommendations, just handed me a list of excursions that I could have just seen on my TV. 

To put it mildly, I wasn't impressed.

16 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

Funny...I wanted to try swapping it out for Ocean Blue when I was on the Getaway back in September, but I didn't want to wait in line at the restaurant only to be denied by the Maitre'd.

I asked the Haven concierge whether I could swap my Le Bistro cert for another restaurant, and he flatly answered "No."

Maybe I should have tried at the restaurant.

@dcipjr You make a very good point here. It is very important that we create realistic expectations for those that ask questions.  If we say something is so, then a guest is told "NO", that guest is disappointed on their cruise. I know this because a long time ago, I said something was so and it ended up not being.  I want to give an example.

On my last trip on the NCL Joy, in a Club Balcony Suite, as a solo guest; I had a week long pass for the Vibe Beach Club.  One day, when it was a port day and I had the Vibe to myself, the Vibe Manager asked me if I wanted a "Haven Burger and Fries".  I never asked for this but he knew me from my writings on Cruise Critic mostly about the Haven.  I said YES and can you get me one of those Almond Croissants if it is not to much trouble. This was a crew member being nice, it was not something that will ever happen to me again.  I was appreciative for the burger and croissant which made my day.  

Sometime, crew members do things that are special.  You never know when it will happen.  When it happens to me, I usually keep it to myself.  But in this case, I wanted to make an example. Back to your situation about using the French place for another restaurant.  If we can all agree on one thing. NCL is not as consistent as we think when they say "No".  You just have to find the right angle which sometimes their own employees don't know.  My example is having Four Adults in my Suite on the Joy.  All four had the Premium Beverage Program.  I wanted the Premium Plus Beverage Program for only my wife and I.  That is usually impossible but I got it done by using FCC pre-cruise.  I have no clue how I found that out but it worked.  OR, did someone make an exception.  Welcome to the world of NCL. 

My only advice is look for another angle.  In your case go directly to the restaurant before they open as you stated. When someone says "NO" to me it means they "Just don't KNOW enough" to say yes yet. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My only advice is look for another angle.  In your case go directly to the restaurant before they open as you stated. When someone says "NO" to me it means they "Just don't KNOW enough" to say yes yet. 

I'll definitely try that next time around.

I just assumed the Haven Concierge would know for sure, or maybe be able to pull some strings to make it happen—me being under the impression that string-pulling is what the concierge was there for! 😆

It just didn't work out. 

Now, I should also mention that by the time we were looking to cash in that Le Bistro voucher, we had already put on a couple of cruise pounds, so maybe he did me a favor...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Man, that is annoying.  I know I saw initial reports of them going belly up back in Sept. on the RCL forums that left people hanging but then 2 weeks ago I saw people who said they successfully used them for my Prima Bermuda cruise so I thought they were back in business.

Yeah...I thought since they had physical locations people could go to be tested (in addition to the proctoring service), they were solid.  I'm sure demand is dropping precipitously for the proctored tests.  But, at least honor those who pre-paid for the service.  Now, there's no way to engage or interact with them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

We had some wonderful concierges in the past. Virginia, who we had back in 2016 during our first time in the Haven, was a standout.

I asked the Concierge this most recent time around for a few minor things:

First, the aforementioned restaurant voucher swap. Request denied. 

Second, if we could book an excursion for Miami (our cruise was re-routed there). We were going to just book it on our stateroom TV, but I went to the Concierge, thinking I could ask about our Latitudes discount, and also, because we had access to a Concierge, so why not just talk to him? He said that the excursion was sold out, but would put us on the wait-list, and to look out for the tickets in our stateroom. I figured he'd work his magic, but alas, no excursion tickets ever showed up at our stateroom—but I was charged for 1 person. Thankfully the charge was against non-refundable OBC, which I was having trouble burning anyway since the shops were closed. But still...wasn't exactly helpful, and he never followed up with us either. 

Third, I asked him if he had any recommendations for a family-friendly thing to do in Nassau. He didn't have any recommendations, just handed me a list of excursions that I could have just seen on my TV. 

To put it mildly, I wasn't impressed.

Adrian and Virginia were two of the best.  Anoop was another fave.  Last I heard, they had all moved on to different careers.

Sorry to hear about your last Concierge.  S/he sounds like there's been a drop off in the quality of their Concierges.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dcipjr said:

I'll check too, since I'll be on the same cruise, and we have a 5 year old.

But...

We were on the Getaway back in September, and the area that would have been the kids' ropes course (there was a climbing area and a slide) appeared to have been deleted along with the mini golf course. I think this happened when the funnel area was re-done.

Not sure if the Breakaway underwent the same refurb and lost those areas as well.

Thank you for offering to look as well! It's still listed on the official Breakaway page related to the ropes course so I'd hope it's still there. 

• Like 1

So, just doing an inventory of the paperwork I bring with me for a cruise.  May be redundant for some.  But, also good to use it as a check list.

-Cruise eTicket-I keep a copy on my iPhone as well as a physical copy in my cruise manila folder I keep in my back pack, which is with me, always

-Passport-also in my back pack.  Make a color copy of my passport page showing my pic in case I lose my physical passport.  It's not a replacement for my passport, but certainly worthwhile to have if I'm stuck in a country where I lose my passport

-My airline ticket information-have it on my iPhone and a physical copy in case my iPhone is stolen/lost

-CASH-I used to go back and forth on this one.  At one time, I carried minimal cash.  Then, I was pick pocketed in Paris, where my credit cards were with my wallet.  Now, I carry some cash (actually, more than I probably should) in a secret compartment that's with me at all times...just because.  CASH can get you out of some predicaments the credit cards can't

-Passport card-I know, it's redundant if you carry a passport.  However, a passport card fits in my wallet, which fits in my pocket, which I carry with me all the time

-COVID Vaccine card-less of a requirement recently, but if I'm not traveling in the U.S., Id rather have it and not need to show it, than to not have it and need to show it.

- I have a "mag safe" wallet connected to my iPhone.  When on excursions in a foreign country, that wallet has my passport card, my AMEX card, and my Cabin Key Card.  Wallet gets stolen, I can still get to and back on the ship with those 3 cards.  iPhone gets stolen, I have my regular ID in my wallet and an "emergency" VISA card as back up

-Copy of travel insurance coverage.  I've never needed to use travel insurance.  But, if I did......

-AMEX Platinum Card-"Don't leave home without it".  I charge my cruise with this card. It offers some travel insurance benefits.  It has a travel concierge I can use/call if something goes sideways (like I get stuck in a foreign country and the ship leaves).  And, if worse comes to worse, it will allow me to have access to some large amounts of money that could get my derrière out of trouble (not that I plan to be in trouble)

-Printed copies of my  flight information-I have this on my iPhone, too.  That way, someone who needs to get me on a flight, if I'm unable to do so myself, will know where/when to get me there

-Printed copies of my airport to pier and pier to airport transport reservations-also on my iPhone

-Copy of all Latitude "perks"-use this all the time as when you have to get billing info corrected, and discounts applied, it very helpful to have something to show Customer Service.  Don't assume they know what you are entitled to

-Copy of TA's billing showing fares and perks for the cruise-see above in case there are discrepancies.  Sometimes Customer Service on board the ship has to contact the TA to get everything in synch

For me, redundancy is the rule of the day. I don't always need to do all the above.  But, when I do need something, I have it, or know where I have access.  I might lose my wallet or my iPhone, but in my cabin, in my backpack, will be all necessary information that will cover any medical emergency and/or prove my identity and citizenship.  Plus, it has not been unusual for me to be in a foreign place where cash is more revered than any credit card.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, just doing an inventory of the paperwork I bring with me for a cruise.  May be redundant for some.  But, also good to use it as a check list.

-Cruise eTicket-I keep a copy on my iPhone as well as a physical copy in my cruise manila folder I keep in my back pack, which is with me, always

-Passport-also in my back pack.  Make a color copy of my passport page showing my pic in case I lose my physical passport.  It's not a replacement for my passport, but certainly worthwhile to have if I'm stuck in a country where I lose my passport

-My airline ticket information-have it on my iPhone and a physical copy in case my iPhone is stolen/lost

-CASH-I used to go back and forth on this one.  At one time, I carried minimal cash.  Then, I was pick pocketed in Paris, where my credit cards were with my wallet.  Now, I carry some cash (actually, more than I probably should) in a secret compartment that's with me at all times...just because.  CASH can get you out of some predicaments the credit cards can't

-Passport card-I know, it's redundant if you carry a passport.  However, a passport card fits in my wallet, which fits in my pocket, which I carry with me all the time

-COVID Vaccine card-less of a requirement recently, but if I'm not traveling in the U.S., Id rather have it and not need to show it, than to not have it and need to show it.

- I have a "mag safe" wallet connected to my iPhone.  When on excursions in a foreign country, that wallet has my passport card, my AMEX card, and my Cabin Key Card.  Wallet gets stolen, I can still get to and back on the ship with those 3 cards.  iPhone gets stolen, I have my regular ID in my wallet and an "emergency" VISA card as back up

-Copy of travel insurance coverage.  I've never needed to use travel insurance.  But, if I did......

-AMEX Platinum Card-"Don't leave home without it".  I charge my cruise with this card. It offers some travel insurance benefits.  It has a travel concierge I can use/call if something goes sideways (like I get stuck in a foreign country and the ship leaves).  And, if worse comes to worse, it will allow me to have access to some large amounts of money that could get my derrière out of trouble (not that I plan to be in trouble)

-Printed copies of my  flight information-I have this on my iPhone, too.  That way, someone who needs to get me on a flight, if I'm unable to do so myself, will know where/when to get me there

-Printed copies of my airport to pier and pier to airport transport reservations-also on my iPhone

-Copy of all Latitude "perks"-use this all the time as when you have to get billing info corrected, and discounts applied, it very helpful to have something to show Customer Service.  Don't assume they know what you are entitled to

-Copy of TA's billing showing fares and perks for the cruise-see above in case there are discrepancies.  Sometimes Customer Service on board the ship has to contact the TA to get everything in synch

For me, redundancy is the rule of the day. I don't always need to do all the above.  But, when I do need something, I have it, or know where I have access.  I might lose my wallet or my iPhone, but in my cabin, in my backpack, will be all necessary information that will cover any medical emergency and/or prove my identity and citizenship.  Plus, it has not been unusual for me to be in a foreign place where cash is more revered than any credit card.

I agree with your redundancy philosophy, especially for those of us who travel solo and only have ourselves to rely on in a jam. I also have important phone numbers written down in case I lose my phone. And cash is still king to me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Excellent and I do mean Excellent list. Thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I agree with your redundancy philosophy, especially for those of us who travel solo and only have ourselves to rely on in a jam. I also have important phone numbers written down in case I lose my phone. And cash is still king to me.

Good point....especially for solo travelers.

My son is listed as my emergency contact in both my iPhone and my wallet.  Moreover, just got a new Apple Watch.  Supposedly, if I have an accident, it will notify my emergency contact and emergency help.  Fortunately, I have not had a chance to see how it works.

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Good point....especially for solo travelers.

My son is listed as my emergency contact in both my iPhone and my wallet.  Moreover, just got a new Apple Watch.  Supposedly, if I have an accident, it will notify my emergency contact and emergency help.  Fortunately, I have not had a chance to see how it works.

Apparently, Apple's crash detection feature is also triggered during roller coaster rides. 😂 Let's hope we are never in a situation to test this feature as intended.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Apparently, Apple's crash detection feature is also triggered during roller coaster rides. 😂 Let's hope we are never in a situation to test this feature as intended.

Well…far be it from me to not test this theory.  Was out raking leaves last night and decided to throw myself in the pile I had made.  Neighbors must think I’ve finally succumbed to the mental deterioration they’ve suspected I’ve been going through for some time.

Sure enough, my Apple Watch chimed in that I had a suspected fall and would call emergency services unless I let the watch know I was “OK” (touch the watch).  For that, at least, it worked.  Roller Coaster?  I can see that triggering the watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is talked about at length in another thread, but just a point of information.  If you have an AMEX Platinum card, in addition to the OBC and other perks they offer for booking a cruise using their card, they also offer to reimburse you for the airport CLEAR pre-check fees.

It’s combinable with the fee for TSA-Precheck.

To me, it always seemed both TSA-Precheck and CLEAR were redundant.  But, CLEAR lines at the airport were always way shorter and included proof of COVID Vaccination.  The latter isn’t so relevant unless you’re sailing to/from some of the countries that still require proof, but still convenient.

Your PSA for the day! 😉

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 11:52 AM, alanstarr said:

And if you're too full after dinner, they'll wrap it up so you can have it later in the cabin! 

This is what I do also but my last 2 cruises, they actually delivered it to my cabin.  I didn't ask them to do that but they insisted.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…far be it from me to not test this theory.  Was out raking leaves last night and decided to throw myself in the pile I had made.  Neighbors must think I’ve finally succumbed to the mental deterioration they’ve suspected I’ve been going through for some time.

Sure enough, my Apple Watch chimed in that I had a suspected fall and would call emergency services unless I let the watch know I was “OK” (touch the watch).  For that, at least, it worked.  Roller Coaster?  I can see that triggering the watch.

This could be interesting when sailing in rough seas paired with an unlimited adult beverage package.

• Haha 2

OK….week from check in and sailing.  Time to do a way too early check of weather predictions.  Actually, it’s looking pretty good from NYC to ME to Halifax.  It’s predicted to be relatively sunny (with some possible showers a few days) and highs in the high 50ºs to low 60ºs.

Will check again probably Thursday or Friday, but looking good as of right now.

• Like 2

Just off the Breakaway.  I had checked the weather every day prior to the cruise.  It was supposed to be cold and rainy pretty much every day.  Instead we had beautiful weather .  So, don't stress too much over the weather forecasts.

For the shows, they were on completely different days that the previous weeks', so whatever pre-planning you do may not work out.  We were okay as we eat early and there were 9:30 shows which worked for us.

On the subject of Concierges.  On the larger ships there are usually several people working at the Concierge desk.  The main Concierge was wonderful!  We had a few small requests and billing issues and poof, everything was straightened out.  Some of the other staff seemed to have issues and struggled to work on even minor questions or requests.  I just always tried to wait for the head Concierge.

Wishing you a great cruise.  Love your check list!  I'm also an obsessive over planner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OK….week from check in and sailing.  Time to do a way too early check of weather predictions.  Actually, it’s looking pretty good from NYC to ME to Halifax.  It’s predicted to be relatively sunny (with some possible showers a few days) and highs in the high 50ºs to low 60ºs.

Will check again probably Thursday or Friday, but looking good as of right now.

Glad to hear the weather is looking good! If Central NY is any indication, you might not have the best leaf peeping. We hit peak about a week ago and the trees are looking pretty grey. I'm wondering/hoping the Atlantic has kept it a wee bit warmer on the coast for you. When those blueberry bushes turn red, the landscape is lit! 

Have a phenomenal trip and thanks for taking us along for the ride! 

On 10/18/2022 at 3:05 PM, graphicguy said:

For those of you who had scheduled a proctored COVID test through OnPoint-testing.com, it looks like they've closed up shop.  I had used them for 3 of my last cruises and found them reliable and affordable.  Plus, they also seem to have physical testing facilities.

Mildly irritated as I had pinged their support email requesting a refund because my cruise no longer requires a proctored test result.  They had to know this was coming.  It's been nearly 2 years since the cruise start up and, although NCL has been diligent in their testing requirements, their efforts have paid off.  And, (fingers crossed) epidemic COVID outbreaks on ships is a thing of the past.

So, sent one email to them stating cruise testing is no longer needed and to send a refund (which they said they refused to do) and 3 other emails to their support people over the last 2 weeks that I received response.  Tried clicking on the link for testing....and was rerouted to what is obviously a dead link.

It was only $14 I'm out.  But still, that's not the way to do business.  Don't skip town with other peoples' money.  That's just wrong, regardless of the amount.

I'm sure it doesn't get much traction, but I have contested with my credit card and sent this to my Attorney General's Office, for no other reason they can be listed as a fraudulent company.

I used them on my last cruise based on your recommendation.  Easy peasy to register and set an appointment.  Test date was 08/31. Nobody joined my link.  Waited 15 minutes then contacted them using chat feature.  They said someone would call me within 30 minutes.  Lots of back and forth, but I did end up getting tested 2 hours later.  I wonder if that was the beginning of the end.  Funny thing was I had actually contemplated purchasing their "monthly" service.

Thanks for reporting your experience.

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Just off the Breakaway.  I had checked the weather every day prior to the cruise.  It was supposed to be cold and rainy pretty much every day.  Instead we had beautiful weather .  So, don't stress too much over the weather forecasts.

For the shows, they were on completely different days that the previous weeks', so whatever pre-planning you do may not work out.  We were okay as we eat early and there were 9:30 shows which worked for us.

On the subject of Concierges.  On the larger ships there are usually several people working at the Concierge desk.  The main Concierge was wonderful!  We had a few small requests and billing issues and poof, everything was straightened out.  Some of the other staff seemed to have issues and struggled to work on even minor questions or requests.  I just always tried to wait for the head Concierge.

Wishing you a great cruise.  Love your check list!  I'm also an obsessive over planner.

Thank you!  Were you staying in the Haven and used those concierges?  Or, did you use other concierges.  I’ve never been able to find them if I wasn’t staying in the Haven.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Glad to hear the weather is looking good! If Central NY is any indication, you might not have the best leaf peeping. We hit peak about a week ago and the trees are looking pretty grey. I'm wondering/hoping the Atlantic has kept it a wee bit warmer on the coast for you. When those blueberry bushes turn red, the landscape is lit! 

Have a phenomenal trip and thanks for taking us along for the ride! 

Thank you!  I figured I was probably a week or two late for the colorful foliage.  But, the deal was too good to pass up.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

I used them on my last cruise based on your recommendation.  Easy peasy to register and set an appointment.  Test date was 08/31. Nobody joined my link.  Waited 15 minutes then contacted them using chat feature.  They said someone would call me within 30 minutes.  Lots of back and forth, but I did end up getting tested 2 hours later.  I wonder if that was the beginning of the end.  Funny thing was I had actually contemplated purchasing their "monthly" service.

Thanks for reporting your experience.

My sincerest apologies.  If I had known On-Point was so janky that they would just close up shop without telling anyone, I would never have recommended them.  Previously, they worked out great.

I thought since they also had physical testing offices they did more than just testing monitoring.  Apparently now.

Again, apologies.

I’d say we’re at peak color now here in Philly, and we’re well south of where we’re headed, so I’m not expecting much foliage.

However…the Phillies are in the World Series so I’m hoping for a lot of red!

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 5