Semi-Live Joy 7 nights NY-Canada New England 9.16.2022 - we are back

mking8288

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why all the testing?  Do you test all the time?  Covid happens (a LOT).  Nobody cares any more.

Not the OP, but we were on the Oasis in early Sept, and we also tested right when we got home and again a few days later. A LOT of people from our cruise group on FB tested positive after, one was hospitalized.  Both my mother and my wife’s mother are recovering from cancer, where covid could be fatal, so we wanted to make sure we weren’t positive to not spread it.   Even if you don’t personally know anyone in that situation, testing after the cruise and staying home if you are positive can still make a difference.  We will do the same after our Joy trip coming up. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, psac said:

Not the OP, but we were on the Oasis in early Sept, and we also tested right when we got home and again a few days later. A LOT of people from our cruise group on FB tested positive after, one was hospitalized.  Both my mother and my wife’s mother are recovering from cancer, where covid could be fatal, so we wanted to make sure we weren’t positive to not spread it.   Even if you don’t personally know anyone in that situation, testing after the cruise and staying home if you are positive can still make a difference.  We will do the same after our Joy trip coming up. 

Just put chiefMateJerk on ignore.

Most of his posts are negative and add nothing to the conversation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, psac said:

Both my mother and my wife’s mother are recovering from cancer, where covid could be fatal, so we wanted to make sure we weren’t positive to not spread it.

That certainly makes a lot of sense if you're planning to visit both mother and MIL within days after a cruise, but why only test after a cruise?  The world is full of people testing positive for Covid who have never been on a ship in their lives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That certainly makes a lot of sense if you're planning to visit both mother and MIL within days after a cruise, but why only test after a cruise?  The world is full of people testing positive for Covid who have never been on a ship in their lives.

Yes, but there’s a big difference between my normal everyday interactions and being stuffed in a boat with 3-5000 of my close friends, being in crowded elevators (at work maybe 1 extra person on the elevator at most), going to shows (haven’t done except when on a ship since covid), and eating indoors in crowded rooms with lots of people almost every meal for the week instead of once a week, give or take. It’s just different, much more spreading opportunities. Testing afterwards is just a smart and considerate thing to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psac said:

Testing afterwards is just a smart and considerate thing to do.

I'll rephrase this for you:

Testing afterwards is what I have chosen to do after a cruise, so that I know my COVID status. This way I can go about my daily life knowing whether I have COVID, or not (less any of those pesky false positive/negative results). 

See, that sounds better. No judgment, no drama, just facts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Testing afterwards is what I have chosen to do after a cruise, so that I know my COVID status. This way I can go about my daily life knowing whether I have COVID, or not (less any of those pesky false positive/negative results). 

I’m vaccinated and boosted but got Covid early June and was really sick. Husband never got it but I slept in spare room. As a retired (40 years) RN I’m perhaps “pro science “ but this isn’t anything to take lightly and working on cancer units for majority of those years any reasonable precaution makes sense . We’re taking our masks and will wear when appropriate to reduce the risk.  Looking forward to our Breakaway cruise on 10/23

• Like 2

Back on topic with some post-cruise reflections, trying to minimize off-topic distractions in replies.

We had an extended family dinner with one of the nieces that came back from her Alaska cruise on RCI and suffice to say, one of the out-of-town guests surely appreciated that we are in the clear as she is in remission currently & just completed chemo ...

It also reminded me that we didn't see any QR codes for dining onboard the Joy last month, nothing to scan and back to printed, reusable paper menu.  This AYCE place in Queens now ask folks to scan & read their online menu, except I nicely informed the server that their webpage link was loading badly & ultra slow ... oops 😬  Not all "customers" are geeks that walk around with a large smartphone or iphone that zoom easily to read the menu.   

Back to our BA balcony with the bedside USB ports that can charge devices as one dare & wish to (the ports were somewhat loose already & likely will fail sooner than the ship's next scheduled dry dock)

There've two 110 volts power outlet and one 220 volts outlet at the desk/counter - and with a simple 2 prong outlet adapter plug, gave us 3 sets of power outlets to use and recharge our tech toys at sea.  Having a 10 ft USB extension surely made life easier, as we also used it daily while hanging out in the Fwd Observation Lounge ... many others began to discover the hideaway by the end of the cruise week 😆 

Still, the hi-output (10,000 mah) rechargeable power "brick" by Anker was indispensable once we leave the ship to go ashore. 

PXL_20221001_221238554.jpg

PXL_20220921_024446738.jpg

PXL_20220922_044044853.jpg

PXL_20220922_201814190.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Getting on the Joy Monday morning and I have a question. Was on breakaway three weeks ago and the shops were all closed for renovations. They had almost no liquor, only one brand of cigarettes, and no NCL merch other than kids swim shirts. Where the shops open on your sailing?

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you friend.  You said that better than I could.  It's great to cut through the self-righteous crap and get back to facts. 😎

Just wanted to point out that after returning from this cruise and both me and my husband testing positive for covid, I started to feel better right away and was cleared to go back to work in a hospital after 5 days.  I took 3 at home tests and they all. Still said positive.  On the other hand my husband is still feeling poorly and still testing positive.  I wanted to take him to the ER but he refused.  Doctors can be stubborn in that way.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ColbyCarrington said:

Getting on the Joy Monday morning and I have a question. Was on breakaway three weeks ago and the shops were all closed for renovations. They had almost no liquor, only one brand of cigarettes, and no NCL merch other than kids swim shirts. Where the shops open on your sailing?

Yes, they were.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...