Live Review NCL Getaway 9 Night 9/29/2022

wolft927

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

wolft927 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Well Wife and I are 13 days out from our 9 night Cruise on the Getaway from Port Canaveral. Wife says I get ready way to far in advance, maybe she is right lol. We will be leaving on 9/28/22 (day after my birthday) from Charlotte NC driving to Port Canaveral and Staying the night pre-cruise. We have booked The Country Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral which included all parking for the duration of the cruise. Cost was $240.00. 

This will be our first time on the Getaway but have sailed the Breakaway several times. We will be staying in a Haven Courtyard Suite on deck 16 ( won my last 2 bids on the breakaway to Haven, but Getaway was almost sold out so outright booked it)  We have stayed in the 2 bedroom before and the forward facing Haven Suite and loved them both and sure we will love this one! We have done the Western several times in a row, simply because we were going out of New Orleans (Used to live in Memphis) so the Eastern is a nice switch.

Day Land Tours And Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Booked
Thu Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral) --- 6:00 PM 0
Fri Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 7:30 AM 4:00 PM 1
Sat At Sea --- --- 0
Sun St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 12:00 PM 8:00 PM 1
Mon St. John's, Antigua 8:00 AM 8:00 PM 0
Tue Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 8:00 PM 0
Wed San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 AM 3:00 PM 0
Thu Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic 7:00 AM 3:00 PM 0
Fri At Sea --- --- 0
Sat Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral) (Flight Departure) 7:00 AM --- 0

My wife and I love to get dressed up at night, so I have picked up all my Suites and Wife's  dresses from the cleaners and they are ready to be out in the garment bag (Wife is saying its to early to pack lol) We will be using our Specialty Dining at Cagney's and The Italian spot, and also eating the amazing food in The Haven Restaurant.   

I have read so many live reviews and it has helped us out so many times, that it's time we return the favor. 

• Like 5

I thought I liked you...then you mentioned suits! Haha, nah...I won't judge you too much for dressing up. It's human nature, I have to a little tiny bit. Yep, I'm that slob in the same shorts and t-shirt as yesterday in the Haven Restaurant. 🙂 

But for real...I will enjoy following along and I truly do hope you have a most wonderful time on what I'll always consider my home ship! I'm especially interested in the excursions (DIY or NCL) that you do, especially in Puerto Plata, San Juan, and St. Thomas. We have a cruise booked that's going to those ports in April/May on the Escape. We've been talking about shifting our cruise to another ship that goes to the Western Caribbean. Maybe you'll change our minds! 

Don't be too surprised if a lot of the Haven staff are new crew to the Getaway as many of those that were with us in April and September are going on their much deserved holiday in the next week or so. 

I'm with your wife. I pack late the day before which is also our travel day. But, that's because I generally have too much going on to even think about packing. 

Enjoy every single moment of your cruise mister! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I thought I liked you...then you mentioned suits! Haha, nah...I won't judge you too much for dressing up. It's human nature, I have to a little tiny bit. Yep, I'm that slob in the same shorts and t-shirt as yesterday in the Haven Restaurant. 🙂 

But for real...I will enjoy following along and I truly do hope you have a most wonderful time on what I'll always consider my home ship! I'm especially interested in the excursions (DIY or NCL) that you do, especially in Puerto Plata, San Juan, and St. Thomas. We have a cruise booked that's going to those ports in April/May on the Escape. We've been talking about shifting our cruise to another ship that goes to the Western Caribbean. Maybe you'll change our minds! 

Don't be too surprised if a lot of the Haven staff are new crew to the Getaway as many of those that were with us in April and September are going on their much deserved holiday in the next week or so. 

I'm with your wife. I pack late the day before which is also our travel day. But, that's because I generally have too much going on to even think about packing. 

Enjoy every single moment of your cruise mister! 

I appreciate the kind words. I know most don't like to get dressed up, my wife and I do for some reason lol....As far as Excursions, we are still on the fence as I have sailed to all these ports many many times. 

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Well Wife and I are 13 days out from our 9 night Cruise on the Getaway from Port Canaveral. Wife says I get ready way to far in advance, maybe she is right lol. We will be leaving on 9/28/22 (day after my birthday) from Charlotte NC driving to Port Canaveral and Staying the night pre-cruise. We have booked The Country Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral which included all parking for the duration of the cruise. Cost was $240.00. 

This will be our first time on the Getaway but have sailed the Breakaway several times. We will be staying in a Haven Courtyard Suite on deck 16 ( won my last 2 bids on the breakaway to Haven, but Getaway was almost sold out so outright booked it)  We have stayed in the 2 bedroom before and the forward facing Haven Suite and loved them both and sure we will love this one! We have done the Western several times in a row, simply because we were going out of New Orleans (Used to live in Memphis) so the Eastern is a nice switch.

Sat At Sea --- --- 0
Fri At Sea --- --- 0

My wife and I love to get dressed up at night, so I have picked up all my Suites and Wife's  dresses from the cleaners and they are ready to be out in the garment bag (Wife is saying its to early to pack lol) We will be using our Specialty Dining at Cagney's and The Italian spot, and also eating the amazing food in The Haven Restaurant.   

I have read so many live reviews and it has helped us out so many times, that it's time we return the favor. 

Nice! Me and my wife are on the same cruise and floor in the haven (2 bedroom) Don’t over look Moderno. IMHO it’s the best specialty restaurant on the ship if you get the right things. This will be our 4th time on the getaway. Looking FWD to your review!

4 minutes ago, CruiseAF said:

Nice! Me and my wife are on the same cruise and floor in the haven (2 bedroom) Don’t over look Moderno. IMHO it’s the best specialty restaurant on the ship if you get the right things. This will be our 4th time on the getaway. Looking FWD to your review!

Awesome, I had the 2 bedroom in march on the Breakaway! Loved it! I think we switch out Cagney's for Moderno, since we have not tried it yet. Can't wait for drinks in the Haven Bar!

We're just a couple of weeks off the Getaway (also out of Port Canaveral) and we do miss her so much.  

Your itinerary is almost the same as ours was, with the addition of Antigua and St. Maarten (since you're on a 9-day), so you will hopefully enjoy it.

So happy that you're booked into La Cucina ... we are huge fans of it and have had some of our most favorite meals there.  We usually have the shrimp ravioli in lobster sauce as a starter, and it's consistently outstanding.  Also, while this might not be your cup of tea since you'll be in an Italian restaurant, it's worthy of a mention that their beef tenderloin is delectable and has been cooked to perfection every time we go.

Enjoy your cruise and we'll certainly look forward to following along.

Awesome, I had the 2 bedroom in march on the Breakaway! Loved it! I think we switch out Cagney's for Moderno, since we have not tried it yet. Can't wait for drinks in the Haven Bar!

Indeed! You get much more choices of meats. Try with the pichania. It is absolutely delicious, if you like it a certain temperature. (We like it more well done) just let the host know. They bend over backwards for Haveners. 

I'm not sure why, but We have tried Le bistro 3 times on different ships and never had a good meal there so in recent cruises I’ve stayed away. Too me it’s the Olive Garden of French restaurants. Not quite up to the standards of genuine French cooking. 

We love the haven restaurant but the menu gets old after the 4th night. We like a little more variety. (As you do as well) see you soon! 

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Well Wife and I are 13 days out from our 9 night Cruise on the Getaway from Port Canaveral.

Sat At Sea --- --- 0
Fri At Sea --- --- 0

Nice itinerary!  I hope you have great weather and a wonderful cruise!

So, We are down to 10 days out now...and trying to compose my excitement. Everything that my wife and I ordered for the cruise has arrived and now its about time to break out the suitcases and start to pack. Watching Hurricane Fiona carefully, praying for the people that are going to be affected. Last full week of work for me, as we will be leaving Wednesday the 28th driving to Port Canaveral. 

So hear is a question for fun, The day before you leave to head to either the ship or the port for a 1 night stayover before your cruise, what do you do the night before?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So, We are down to 10 days out now...and trying to compose my excitement. Everything that my wife and I ordered for the cruise has arrived and now its about time to break out the suitcases and start to pack. Watching Hurricane Fiona carefully, praying for the people that are going to be affected. Last full week of work for me, as we will be leaving Wednesday the 28th driving to Port Canaveral. 

So hear is a question for fun, The day before you leave to head to either the ship or the port for a 1 night stayover before your cruise, what do you do the night before?

I echo your thoughts around those in the path of Hurricane Fiona. I'm also grateful that my work allows me to support the professionals who travel to areas where disasters have hit. I know PR is in somewhat bad shape, hoping Bermuda doesn't have quite the full on hit that PR received.

As for us, we typically drive to NYC, get a hotel, and have a yummy meal, then wander around the city. I absolutely love the lights and sights of Manhattan in the dark. What do you do good sir?

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I echo your thoughts around those in the path of Hurricane Fiona. I'm also grateful that my work allows me to support the professionals who travel to areas where disasters have hit. I know PR is in somewhat bad shape, hoping Bermuda doesn't have quite the full on hit that PR received.

As for us, we typically drive to NYC, get a hotel, and have a yummy meal, then wander around the city. I absolutely love the lights and sights of Manhattan in the dark. What do you do good sir?

So, The night before traveling my wife and I will get all packed up ready to go! bags staged at door so its wake up shower and on the road. When we get to the port we try and get there early enough to watch the outgoing ships leave, enjoying a bite and some drinks at one of the restaurants along the marina in port Canaveral. Unfortunately this cruise, no ships leaving on the 28th. 

Oh and i also check to make sure I have all my documents about 1k times lol

Greetings

i have problems getting to post on this, but made it today. 

Helen and I , my wife of 50 years in August are in the Haven. The Haven is a surprise for her!

I like a shirt and sport jacket for dressing up, but expect to be in shorts, t shirt and sandals most of the time. We are really looking forward to the cruise.

We are in Hampton Inn and Suites, 27-28 Sep. I thought we would be landing in Olando in the afternoon of the 27, but we are landing at 6:45 AM. The good part is we got a direct flight from Seattle to Orlando. We are from Victoria BC Canada.  I have asked for early check in, fingers crossed. LOL

Anyone having trouble printing their Boarding Passes and Luggage Tags. I have contacted NCL support, but no help. I wound up cut and paste the Luggage Tags and cut and photo copy the Boarding Passes. 

Really getting excited and yes i have my packing lists completed and started packing.

Bill 

On 9/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Yep, I'm that slob in the same shorts and t-shirt as yesterday in the Haven Restaurant. 🙂 

Are they really the "same" shorts and t-shirt, or are you just one of those folks who finds shorts/pants/shirts that are comfortable and then just buys another dozen (or more? LOL) of the same thing to avoid more shopping/disappointment in the future?  I've "heard" that some analytical types will do such a thing.  🤣

• Haha 1

So waking up this morning 9 days out, loooking at what hurricane Fiona has done to Puerto Rico and puerto Plato. Have a feeling we will be having an itinerary change as I don’t believe those ports may not be ready to receive ships. Pray for the folks there! 

21 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So waking up this morning 9 days out, loooking at what hurricane Fiona has done to Puerto Rico and puerto Plato. Have a feeling we will be having an itinerary change as I don’t believe those ports may not be ready to receive ships. Pray for the folks there! 

Truly sad to see the hurricane damages!

Hopefully, you have a great cruise wherever your travels take you.

Not quite Maria, but it's certainly going to take some time for both islands to recover. Sorry it impacted your cruise, but you certainly have the right attitude about it. Thinking of those who were in the path and knowing you'll still have a wonderful cruise wherever Norwegian takes you. I'm still excited to follow your journey!

So, We are now 6 days out, and looks there my be possibility of some port changes for this cruise. Looks as if Puerto Rico will not be ready for Cruise Ships by the time we are scheduled to arrive and also looks like Puerto Plata may have pier damage that may effect an arrival as well. We will wait and see.

So officially broke out the luggage and have all my clothes laid out ready for packing. My wife has laid out her dresses and also her 8 bikinis (yes I said 8 lol). I contacted Country inn and suites in port Canaveral to schedule our shuttle to the Ship (Included with the park and cruise rate)  i

So does anyone else when you get this close to your Cruise find it almost impossible to work in the office without always being on CruisCritic or even simply watching videos or looking at pictures of your ship? I swear I am almost checked out of work about 2 weeks out lol. But I do have to get some work done. 

I am so excited to do this live review and pictures will begin the morning of our Drive to Port Canaveral with, some more information on the route, Hotel, places we will eat and drink the night prior. I can't wait to bring everyone along on our Journey!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

So, We are now 6 days out, and looks there my be possibility of some port changes for this cruise. Looks as if Puerto Rico will not be ready for Cruise Ships by the time we are scheduled to arrive and also looks like Puerto Plata may have pier damage that may effect an arrival as well. We will wait and see.

So officially broke out the luggage and have all my clothes laid out ready for packing. My wife has laid out her dresses and also her 8 bikinis (yes I said 8 lol). I contacted Country inn and suites in port Canaveral to schedule our shuttle to the Ship (Included with the park and cruise rate)  i

So does anyone else when you get this close to your Cruise find it almost impossible to work in the office without always being on CruisCritic or even simply watching videos or looking at pictures of your ship? I swear I am almost checked out of work about 2 weeks out lol. But I do have to get some work done. 

I am so excited to do this live review and pictures will begin the morning of our Drive to Port Canaveral with, some more information on the route, Hotel, places we will eat and drink the night prior. I can't wait to bring everyone along on our Journey!

Hi

Looking forward to the cruise. We leave for Cape Canaveral in 4 days time, first leg Vancouver Seattle, then Seattle to Orlando.

There are a number of alternate ports to Puerto Rico. Any thoughts?

Almost all packed.

8 Bikinis!!

Our boarding time is 1:00 pm

See you at Inn and Suites. 

Bill

21 minutes ago, Equine555 said:

Hi

Looking forward to the cruise. We leave for Cape Canaveral in 4 days time, first leg Vancouver Seattle, then Seattle to Orlando.

There are a number of alternate ports to Puerto Rico. Any thoughts?

Almost all packed.

8 Bikinis!!

Our boarding time is 1:00 pm

See you at Inn and Suites. 

Bill

Well, if we couldn’t go to Puerto Rico the port before that is St Maarten! How about an overnight there? We have a boarding time of 11:30am! See you at the country Inn and suites 

Well good news is all ports in San Juan are back open as of today and Cruises will be returning starting Saturday the 24th. I got this information from the San Juan tourism website. So glad we will be able to go to Puerto Rico and support local businesses 

• Like 1

Well 5 days out and woke up to what i did not want to happen. Tropical Storm 9 as of this morning is scheduled to make landfall in Florida on Wednesday the day my wife and arrive for our pre-cruise stay. I know it is to early to tell but hope that it stays west. 

Pretty confidant that the Getaway will be able to arrive and depart Safely on Thursday the 29th, but may need to adjust out precruise stay. Anyone else thinking about adjusting there stays the night before? 

• Like 1