looking for recommendation for things to do with kids

rotman253

33 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Monkey sloths tours.  Look up Daniels on this board.  The ship may also offer tours.

Also which ship are you on?   If you dock at Mahogany Bay, the beach is right there.  In Coxen Hole, you'll need an excursion.

We're cruising RCL

We have been visiting Roatan for 15 years on cruises and resort vacations.  We know the island well.  Our youngest has been going with us yearly since she was 3 years old.  This is what I'd recommend.  Book Ronystours.com - Freestyle tour.  This will allow you the most flexibility.  You will have a private driver for the day so everything can be at your own pace.  You will get a friendly, reliable driver that speaks good English(very important).  Many of the companies just assign random drivers they've hired - some speak very little English.  We have always felt very safe in Roatan - We trust Rony and his drivers completely.  First, visit Mayan Eden.  We have visited 5 monkey/sloth parks many times in Roatan.  I think this one is best for small children. The monkeys and sloths are not in cages.  They roam freely.  Your guide will give you nuts and the monkeys will come to you if you'd like.  This park is nice for small children because they can walk around and watch the monkeys without being closed in a cage with them.  Another guide will climb a tree(crazy high with no safety rope)and bring down a sloth for you all to hold.  There are large birds you can hold also.  It is also a small zoo with several other animals to see.  You can also walk across a suspended bridge.  I can't imagine children your age not having a great time at Mayan Eden.  You will be able to take amazing pictures.  We like the other parks, as well, but for small children - I'd definitely chose this one.

I'd spend the rest of the day at West Bay Beach.  It is the clearest water - so beautiful!  Depending on your budget, you can get a day pass at a resort and have use of the pool as well.  The beach is the highlight.  To the far left(facing the ocean) is a spectacular reef.  Your children may be too young to snorkel, but they can still see fish.  We were just there 2 months ago with younger children in our group.  You can bring a blow up floats  - they can wear goggles and look at the fish on the reef.  It is very shallow in some places. Lots of beautiful fish.   The beach has soft sand and very small waves. In front of Paradise Beach Hotel is a huge oversized beach chair - cute family photo. 

Two photo ops if you have a private driver.  One at the little gift stand at the top of the hill on the way to West Bay.  There is a beautiful overlook behind the little shop.  Also, on the way back, your driver can pullover and you can get a photo with the Roatan sign and another with the ship in the background.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2022 at 7:51 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We have been visiting Roatan for 15 years on cruises and resort vacations.  We know the island well.  Our youngest has been going with us yearly since she was 3 years old.  This is what I'd recommend.  Book Ronystours.com - Freestyle tour.  This will allow you the most flexibility.  You will have a private driver for the day so everything can be at your own pace.  You will get a friendly, reliable driver that speaks good English(very important).  Many of the companies just assign random drivers they've hired - some speak very little English.  We have always felt very safe in Roatan - We trust Rony and his drivers completely.  First, visit Mayan Eden.  We have visited 5 monkey/sloth parks many times in Roatan.  I think this one is best for small children. The monkeys and sloths are not in cages.  They roam freely.  Your guide will give you nuts and the monkeys will come to you if you'd like.  This park is nice for small children because they can walk around and watch the monkeys without being closed in a cage with them.  Another guide will climb a tree(crazy high with no safety rope)and bring down a sloth for you all to hold.  There are large birds you can hold also.  It is also a small zoo with several other animals to see.  You can also walk across a suspended bridge.  I can't imagine children your age not having a great time at Mayan Eden.  You will be able to take amazing pictures.  We like the other parks, as well, but for small children - I'd definitely chose this one.

I'd spend the rest of the day at West Bay Beach.  It is the clearest water - so beautiful!  Depending on your budget, you can get a day pass at a resort and have use of the pool as well.  The beach is the highlight.  To the far left(facing the ocean) is a spectacular reef.  Your children may be too young to snorkel, but they can still see fish.  We were just there 2 months ago with younger children in our group.  You can bring a blow up floats  - they can wear goggles and look at the fish on the reef.  It is very shallow in some places. Lots of beautiful fish.   The beach has soft sand and very small waves. In front of Paradise Beach Hotel is a huge oversized beach chair - cute family photo. 

Two photo ops if you have a private driver.  One at the little gift stand at the top of the hill on the way to West Bay.  There is a beautiful overlook behind the little shop.  Also, on the way back, your driver can pullover and you can get a photo with the Roatan sign and another with the ship in the background.

What a great answer! Thanks!
Seems like interesting ideas. can I pay with credit cards everywhere or do I need to bring cash?

You will need cash.  Rony will require a deposit or full payment up front.  Don't be hesitant.  He will gladly refund if the ship misses the port for some reason.  He has to do this to protect himself.  When you exit the ship - you will be approached by MANY tour guides and drivers.  In the past, some have gone with them instead of meeting Rony and then he totally looses out for the day.  When you get cash from the bank for Roatan, be sure to get newer bills.  If you give anyone there bills that are torn or written on, the bank will give them a reduced exchange rate.  I'm sure you will have a great day with Rony!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:59 AM, #1TravelMom said:

You will need cash.  Rony will require a deposit or full payment up front.  Don't be hesitant.  He will gladly refund if the ship misses the port for some reason.  He has to do this to protect himself.  When you exit the ship - you will be approached by MANY tour guides and drivers.  In the past, some have gone with them instead of meeting Rony and then he totally looses out for the day.  When you get cash from the bank for Roatan, be sure to get newer bills.  If you give anyone there bills that are torn or written on, the bank will give them a reduced exchange rate.  I'm sure you will have a great day with Rony!

Thanks, I've booked the day with him 🙂

• Like 1

We did Daniel Johnston sloth and monkey tour which we enjoyed; however at Mahogany Bay, the Carnival dock, it was a long walk to the pick up point - not sure for RCI dock which as others have noted is a different location. On the other hand we had a private driver take us and return us which was very safe and convenient and he gave us some local tour info during the 30 minute drive each way.

Edited by KmomChicago

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 6:52 AM, rotman253 said:

Thanks, I've booked the day with him 🙂

Hi, I'm going to cruise on early December and with a just 7 years old boy. I wonder how is your tour with Rony. What did you book with him? Did the kid enjoy that? Any suggestions are appreciated.