Watch your bar tab on NCL

doctoranna

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you're new to NCL - don't trust NCL...ever.

Like most of you, I've sailed NCL....a lot.  Yeah, once in a while an error happens.  As a percent of all the swipes and drinks I've had, a very tiny percentage.  Factor-in a busy bar or restaurant and the crazy hours these employees work, errors are bound to happen.  Like anywhere, routinely check your bill.

As an aside, in addition to signage, bartenders and servers have been consistently vocal about taxes being charged in port.

• Like 1

I was going to post to say that in all my NCL cruises I haven’t yet had an incorrect charge.

However, this morning when checking my account I found that I had been charged for the bottle of Champagne we had with our meal yesterday, which should have been covered by the premium plus package.

Guest services are sorting it out. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

ask five different NCL employees a question, get eight different answers.

IMG_0164.jpg.55a45a4e99606668e827447ea4b3d30c.jpeg

This signage clearly refers to the states of the USA. When we're in Europe I'll watch for signs at the port.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, LGinPA said:

Thank you. 

I would think that if we're at port and we eat in a complimentary dining room and gets drinks within the limit of our drink plan, since we won't be purchasing anything, I can't see why we'd be taxed.  But I can understand that if we made an actual purchase that taxes may need to be paid to the port/county/jurisdiction we're in. 

As others have posted, tax is collected when necessary on transactions - even if the purchase was pre-paid through the beverage package.  I think the merchant needs to collect taxes on the value of the goods "sold"/served while in the port.  

I've only had one NCL cruise, but this was our experience with drinks while still in FL waters.  I don't think anything was charged at the Western Caribbean ports.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:59 PM, UKstages said:

no, it makes no sense at all, as i clearly stated above:

"i also showed them my receipt for $0 (and contained no $6.00 charge)."

it was indeed a mistake and they reversed the charge. however, it is possible that they may have upcharged me for somebody else's crab cake after the fact, as, again, there was no $6 charge on the bill. the bill was for zero dollars.

Well, now I know to hang on to my receipts, so thank you for that tip! Sorry you had to deal with it, though. Even though it's "only" $6, as I like to say, "If I gave you $6 right now for no reason, you'd be happy, right?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm in a port.  I use my specialty dining credit to eat at Cagney's and I use my free beverage package to have a drink.  Why do they tax the drink but not the food?

Well we are talking about the government and taxes...   🙂 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm in a port.  I use my specialty dining credit to eat at Cagney's and I use my free beverage package to have a drink.  Why do they tax the drink but not the food?

I know some jurisdictions have different tax regulations for alcohol than food (or other sales).

NCL is becoming the Used Car lot of Cruising.  "You want Scotch guarding on your floormats, right".  No? Hey Tony, TONY!! Take the Fnnn scotch guard off the floormats, the cheapskate doesn't want to protect the velour interior.

Yo Like 

Owning this beautiful 1979 Pinto is like "Free".

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

NCL is becoming the Used Car lot of Cruising. 

NCL is enforcing the taxation and liquor laws of the jurisdiction where the ship is floating.  Do others absorb those costs?  Some might, but in this case NCL is just passing that along to the consumer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

every drink served with the regular drink package will have an additional tax? 

i haven't sailed the POA, but my understanding from those that have is that, yes, you will pay tax on the retail price of each drink while in port throughout hawaii.