Semi live Mediterranean Odyssey Sept 16-28

Doortravel

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Doortravel was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Embarkation Chioggia, we had to leave early Friday evening Port chased us out due to storm.

We docked in Ravenna Friday evening, Hurricane force winds broke dock lines Viking Sea

drifted in to rock Saturday morning. Friday in Venice lost, now Split is lost as ship needs divers

to inspect ships hull for damage. Crew hasn't told us what to expect Sunday at this point other

than we won't be sailing to Split tonite as planned. They are hoping to secure nighttime divers to

inspect ship. At this time we still have three tug boat keep ship against dock. At one point we had

6 tugs, 4 pushing ship toward dock and 2 on stern.  

35 minutes ago, Doortravel said:

Embarkation Chioggia, we had to leave early Friday evening Port chased us out due to storm.

We docked in Ravenna Friday evening, Hurricane force winds broke dock lines Viking Sea

drifted in to rock Saturday morning. Friday in Venice lost, now Split is lost as ship needs divers

to inspect ships hull for damage. Crew hasn't told us what to expect Sunday at this point other

than we won't be sailing to Split tonite as planned. They are hoping to secure nighttime divers to

inspect ship. At this time we still have three tug boat keep ship against dock. At one point we had

Marine Traffic shows you as just underway at this time, heading for Dubrovnik. Hopefully that means no ship damage! Best of luck for the remainder of your cruise.

EDIT: Appears you may simply be switching sides at the pier. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Update.

1 hour ago, Doortravel said:

I pray that you are all safe. Did you feel the crash into the rocks during the storm? So frightening.

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

Did you feel the crash into the rocks during the storm?

Having experienced a similar incident many years ago, where the ship was almost blown off the dock due to a freak storm, it is a very intense, dangerous and traumatic situation. This is especially true for the ship's crew working the mooring decks, and for anyone on the gangway at the time it separated, or in the vicinity of the lines as they parted.

Personally, I am hoping that none of the ship's crew or pax were injured or killed by the lines, or gangway. As the lines start parting, the crew man the mooring decks and struggle valiantly to send additional lines ashore, while the existing lines part and recoil towards the mooring decks. These lines recoil with a significant force that few survive, if hit. Drifting onto the rocks is the least of the worries in this type of incident.

Based on what the officers, crew and pax experienced, I'll suggest requesting the gory details are unnecessary and un-called for.

BTW - the OP indicated the ship drifted onto the rocks, not "Crash into the rocks". Similar to the Viking Sky incident, it is best to await the official report prior to making unsubstantiated comments, which only spread rumours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

As we are going to Milan and the Italian Lakes next week, I have been keeping an eye on the weather (a bit removed from the coast, but still…).  This weekend there are severe wind alerts.  Midweek, there a few nice days, then next weekend, unending rain for ten days.  So the region is definitely undergoing some unexpected weather.  

No crash, the damage or issue seems to be mooring lines that got into

propellers. Currently waiting on parts. 

We felt lots of bumping maybe the tugs.

Still in Ravenna, they are optimistic that we will sail to Dubrovnik later today

Sunday. But we've past the planned 1pm departure.

No mention of comps just that missed excursion will be refunded in full.

They did provide shuttles to Ravenna today so we could stretch our legs

a bit more.

The provided service hasn't met what we experienced  on our 2019 B-A

Rhine trip.

D2C197F2-2154-4F9B-BCC3-D5CD1C87838B.jpeg

132CD185-EDD5-4629-9FE8-F45193B402F1.jpeg

8C0223EC-68A4-43B8-AAEC-3ECD11CBFAEB.jpeg

2ED1F5AB-3483-4032-82BA-358F5132BB08.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Doortravel said:

No crash, the damage or issue seems to be mooring lines that got into

propellers. Currently waiting on parts. 

We felt lots of bumping maybe the tugs.

Still in Ravenna, they are optimistic that we will sail to Dubrovnik later today

Sunday. But we've past the planned 1pm departure.

No mention of comps just that missed excursion will be refunded in full.

They did provide shuttles to Ravenna today so we could stretch our legs

a bit more.

The provided service hasn't met what we experienced  on our 2019 B-A

Rhine trip.

Hopefully you will be able to resume your cruise soon and that Viking will make certain that everything is safe before proceeding. Best news is that no one was injured. I'm concerned about your statement that: "The provided service hasn't met what we experienced  on our 2019 B-A Rhine trip." Several of the written reports about this incident state that there are 800-870 passengers but only 200 crew. I hope that is not correct. That is far below the passenger/crew ratio that Viking advertises and if true, may be the reason you are not experiencing the level of service that you expected.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would please let us know the passenger and crew #'s on your voyage. Guest services can give you that information. 

And before any "Viking Cheerleader" chimes in, we have a right to expect staffing levels to be what is advertised and if a line can't do that for what ever reason, including Covid, they need to limit the number of passengers on the ship. 

Edited by keokukjoe
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Several of the written reports about this incident state that there are 800-870 passengers but only 200 crew. I hope that is not correct.

Could you direct us to the written reports you refer to? I was only able to find the two below - no mention of crew numbers. Good news that there were no injuries. 🍺🥌

https://www.cruisemapper.com/accidents/Viking-Sea-1032

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2022/39565/viking-cruise-ship-broke-moorings-870-passengers-b/

4 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

It occurred to me that maybe 200 was a typo, since the usual crew is about 1200.  There are always more crew members that pax.  Only way to know for sure is for someone on that cruise to ask and report back.

Typically there are 465 crew members on a Viking Ocean ship. With less than 900 possible passengers... we would all love to see a crew of 1200! 😛

9 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

It occurred to me that maybe 200 was a typo, since the usual crew is about 1200.  There are always more crew members that pax.  Only way to know for sure is for someone on that cruise to ask and report back.

Agree that 200 is probably a typo but I think you might mean 1200 total pax & crew. But see, now I’m contributing to the rumors 😄. Who has the stats?

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Thank you for providing the references in response to my question.

I do suspect an error on the part of the Italian media. If Sea even is permitted by regulation to sail with only 200 crew (almost a 60% decrease to normal), that would be glaringly obvious to all pax - and these boards would be alive with comments on the effect of the shortage. I look forward to some further clarification.

That aside, the incident was certainly serious, and happily appears to have been well handled by the crew and port, without any injuries. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Agree that 200 is probably a typo but I think you might mean 1200 total pax & crew

Yes, gee, I’d better have another cup of coffee.  With 1200 crew, that would be a mega-ship!  Sorry, I’ll sit this one out now and wait for the real numbers.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Yet again, another example of poor fact checking by the media. Perhaps you need to wait for the Interim Report, or at least a post from someone onboard the ship advising how many crew, before making the comments in post #11.

While I don't know the minimum crew that Viking requires, I have completed the crew determination exercise for a number of ships and submitted the requests to Flag State. I can assure you that to complete the required emergency responses concurrently, I cannot envisage how they could achieve certification with only 200 crew.

The Master must, at all times, ensure sufficient crew are available to respond to any emergency, both at sea and in port. Alongside, fewer tasks are required, as pax would be sent ashore rather than using the survival craft. The minimum crew when the ship is alongside is dictated by On-Board Manning, which is probably about 30 - 40% of the total crew. With some crew ashore, they may have only had 200 crew aboard, at the time the vessel parted the lines, but the total crew was definitely higher than that number.

The media reports also glossed over the requirements for returning to operations. Yes, the local Harbourmaster will conduct an investigation, but they are not the determining factor of when the ship can sail. The Master must file a Report of Shipping Accident/Casualty and advise Class, which I believe is LR. The Class Surveyors will be present for the diver's inspection and if the ship has sustained any damage, but is operational, the Surveyor will provide the Master with a "Condition of Class", outlining any restricted operation and limits to make good repairs, to return the vessel to Class. The local authorities can clear the ship, but the Master cannot sail until Class confirms the vessel is in Class, or has a Condition of Class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Could you direct us to the written reports you refer to? I was only able to find the two below - no mention of crew numbers. Good news that there were no injuries. 🍺🥌

https://www.cruisemapper.com/accidents/Viking-Sea-1032

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2022/39565/viking-cruise-ship-broke-moorings-870-passengers-b/

Rob,

Not many reports on the usual marine news websites this morning. This is the only one I saw.

http://www.maritimebulletin.net/2022/09/17/viking-cruise-ship-broke-off-moorings-with-870-passengers-on-board-video/

Massmonde Marine and gCaptain may have some reports tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday Morning,

Enroute to Corfu, at 9:40 am less than halfway to Corfu from Ravenna.

Our big observation is that the Caption indicated we could have sailed 

without inspection but place blame with local port authority that inspection 

was mandatory prior to leaving Ravenna. It's a good thing they forced inspection since propulsion system had jambs from rope. Sailing with only

one engine as one side is still not operational. Full repairs are expected in

Corfu.

As for Crew numbers, I have notice much more crew cross over with

same crew at different locations in different roles. Just this morning the waitress at Mamsen's was explaining to the cook what bread selections

in the display were. 

With only a few people in Explorer's lounge last evening as we departed 

Ravenna it took well over 20 minutes to get drinks while seated at bar

with 5 other people. Bartender was too busy using the iPad at station.6F3C8086-70C0-47C1-9EFB-944D505B8715.thumb.jpeg.8d325cc1267aea0b0d20bd6b911b1e2a.jpeg

Update of the day

After engine overheating overnight the ship.has to slowdown, not expected to get to Corfu until 5:30 PM Tuesday. Missing our Corfu excursions, frustrations are building now as we’ve been basically stuck on ship since embarkation Friday morning. 
Being a once in a life time trip for many they may not be able use vouchers to recoup their lose, since output of more cash is needed.

😢

• Like 1