Oslo to Bergen Train

Tom2

We have had 3 Viking Cruises cancelled on us during the pandemic and figure the 4th time is the charm and have just booked the British Isles Explorer. If we take the Oslo extension and train to Bergen what time will we arrive Bergen to board the ship? I know it is a 7 hour train ride.

Thank you in advance.

We will do this next week, prior to our trade routes cruise.  There are 3 trains daily :

I googled it- most likely the 8:25 or 10:25 train.  I could not find the train time on any of my paperwork.   Time is not really an issue for us- ship doesn't leave port until the next day.

6 hr 45 min
6:25 AM - 1:10 PM
  • rail2.png
6:25 AM from Oslo Central Station
  1. 6:25 AMOslo Central Station
    (Platform 3)
    (Oslo, Norway)
    rail2.png
    41 towards Bergen
    1:10 PMBergen Station
    (Bergen, Norway)

8:25 AM - 3:05 PM
  • rail2.png
8:25 AM from Oslo Central Station
  1. 8:25 AMOslo Central Station
    (Platform 3)
    (Oslo, Norway)

10:25 AM - 5:10 PM
  • rail2.png
10:25 AM from Oslo Central Station
  1. 10:25 AMOslo Central Station
    (Platform 3)
    (Oslo, Norway)

• Like 1

We did this excursion with Viking on August 30, last month, and were on the 10:25 train.  We were probably on the ship by 5:30ish. It was before 6 pm.  We had 3 groups spread across 3 train cars, so we had to walk off the train to the buses, for a quick ride to the port in Bergen.  It was faster than we expected.

I was expecting to take the earlier train but the train time wasn’t provided until we Checked into the hotel in Oslo,  I must have made that assumption from reading something here on CC. Perhaps Viking books the train time based upon train capacity at the time they finalize the pre trips.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whitbob said:

We did this excursion with Viking on August 30, last month, and were on the 10:25 train.  We were probably on the ship by 5:30ish. It was before 6 pm.  We had 3 groups spread across 3 train cars, so we had to walk off the train to the buses, for a quick ride to the port in Bergen.  It was faster than we expected.

I was expecting to take the earlier train but the train time wasn’t provided until we Checked into the hotel in Oslo,  I must have made that assumption from reading something here on CC. Perhaps Viking books the train time based upon train capacity at the time they finalize the pre trips.

This was my experience as well

Thank you everyone for your replies. We have been to Oslo before and were doing the extension for the train ride, but don’t want to get to the ship that late so decided to go with the 2 nights in Bergen extension.  

7 minutes ago, purpleally said:

We are doing two nights in Oslo and taking the train on our own. Our only debate if we should do Norway in a nutshell.  We will be in Bergen two nights before sailing 

I’m wondering the same thing except in reverse. Hope someone who has done NiN and just the train let’s us know their thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m wondering the same thing except in reverse. Hope someone who has done NiN and just the train let’s us know their thoughts. 

Clay, not an answer to your precise question, but a few thoughts. We have not been on a NiN tour, or the train from Myrdal to Oslo, but in looking at NiN, we have some experience with parts of it ...

The Flåmsbana scenic railway is a treat - a great experience and fabulous scenery. 

Any scenic cruise on the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord is well worth it - amazing falls at Gudvangen and staggering scenery in those two arms of the Songefjord.

The bus trip between Gudvangen and Voss is excellent - you'll be going uphill to Stalheim if you start your tour in Bergen, but I suspect they'll stop to let you look back at your climb up one of the steepest and twistiest roads you'll ever encounter. (Makes Lombard Street look like a kiddie ride). 

Don't miss the Voss - Flåm - Mrydal segment (it looks like you can bypass it and do a train only version, but you won't be disappointed with the addition).

I'll defer to others on the Myrdal to Oslo rail trip - it's been well documented here. We hope to experience that one following our 2023 NYC to Bergen trip. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
Typo

we've done it both ways ... train all the way and via FLAM and nutshell

the train straight thru is a long ride .... a long day

when we did via FLAM we broke it up with a night in FLAM along the way which we enjoyed. The place is very different when the cruise ship(s) leave .......

either way dragging bags complicates things a wee bit but there are places to put them so long as the trains aren't too full .. with nutshell the ferry and the bus has plenty of luggage storage.

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Clay, not an answer to your precise question, but a few thoughts. We have not been on a NiN tour, or the train from Myrdal to Oslo, but in looking at NiN, we have some experience with parts of it ...

The Flåmsbana scenic railway is a treat - a great experience and fabulous scenery. 

Any scenic cruise on the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord is well worth it - amazing falls at Gudvangen and staggering scenery in those two arms of the Songefjord.

The bus trip between Gudvangen and Voss is excellent - you'll be going uphill to Stalheim if you start your tour in Bergen, but I suspect they'll stop to let you look back at your climb up one of the steepest and twistiest roads you'll ever encounter. (Makes Lombard Street look like a kiddie ride). 

Don't miss the Voss - Flåm - Mrydal segment (it looks like you can bypass it and do a train only version, but you won't be disappointed with the addition).

I'll defer to others on the Myrdal to Oslo rail trip - it's been well documented here. We hope to experience that one following our 2023 NYC to Bergen trip. 🍺🥌

23 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

we've done it both ways ... train all the way and via FLAM and nutshell

the train straight thru is a long ride .... a long day

when we did via FLAM we broke it up with a night in FLAM along the way which we enjoyed. The place is very different when the cruise ship(s) leave .......

either way dragging bags complicates things a wee bit but there are places to put them so long as the trains aren't too full .. with nutshell the ferry and the bus has plenty of luggage storage.

Thanks to you both!  I suspect we will end up do NIAN since who knows when we might get back again. #SoManyPlacesSoLittleTime

We are on the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages next April, flying home to the UK from Oslo the day after we leave the ship in Bergen.

We are dithering between taking the train and hiring a car.

We are not light packers and will have 2 large wheeled check-in sized bags and 2 wheeled cabin bags. 

Has anyone any experience of hiring a car in Bergen and dropping it off the same day at Oslo airport?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks to you both!  I suspect we will end up do NIAN since who knows when we might get back again. #SoManyPlacesSoLittleTime

Do it! I have done it many times , both ways, including spending a few days in Stalheim. No matter how you do it, it is unforgettable…in any kind of weather. Don’t miss it. If you are doing it on your own, book ahead, especially in summer.  A good TA (who knows Scandinavia !) can be a big help.

• Thanks 1