Private Company for transfer from Southampton cruise terminal to Heathrow

jhenry1

West Quay cars of Southampton charge £130 for a private car but the best value would be the bus (national express) at £17pp.

https://westquaycars.com/southampton-to-heathrow/

Anyone can drive right up to the cruise terminal in Southampton, I dropped my friends of there a few weeks ago right at the entrance.

To advise on whether you need a private transfer rather than ship's transfer bus or National Express coach we need to know your flight time (and LHR terminal if timing is tight).

Also might depend on whether you're willing / able to disembark unassisted (haul your your bags from your cabin) in order to be off the ship early.

And the number in your party also comes into it when figuring best value

Come back with that detail and we'll do our best to advise

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, jhenry1 said:

Ship arrives at 6:00 am and our flight leaves Heathrow at 1:40 p.m.

We will not be able to walk  off with our Luggage but don’t believe we would need to with a 1:40 departure.

Unassisted disembarkation will be from about 7am, then the first tranche of regular assisted disembarkation 7.30.

Cheapest option is by National Express, though you'll need an early disembarkation slot. You can be given an early slot by asking at Guest Relations & citing your onward transportation. An 8am (at the latest) slot should do the trick for you to catch the 9.00 am National Express coach. A taxi from your cruise terminal to Southampton National Express coach station will cost £10 or less, and take 10 mins or less. Current fares are showing about £21 per person, journey time 2 hours  gets you to Heathrow at 11 am or earlier depending on your terminal.  You're strongly advised to pre-book as coaches to LHR at that time of day do book out.

Next NE coach is at 11 am, arrives LHR 12.55 - that's way  too tight.

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

Cruise lines normally offer their own sponsored transfer coaches from the ship to LHR  (or  LGW)

The first usually depart from the quayside around 8am, each coach is allocated to a single airport terminal and there are usually several coaches for each terminal, except the last one of the day which leaves after 9am with stragglers for all LHR terminals.

Cruise lines have tended to advise passengers not to use their transfers to LHR for flights which leave before 12.30 or 1.00 pm, so no problem for you.

Transfer charges vary wildly, from about $65 pp with Princess to over $100 for RCI or Cunard.

If your cruise line charges at the higher end, consider a private transfer - especially with the $ riding high against the £.

A private transfer should cost in the region of £120 to £140 - seek quotes from https://westquaycars.com/ or https://www.aquacars.co.uk/ or https://www.blackberrycars.com/ 

Train travel to Heathrow from Southampton is complicated and expensive, not worthy of consideration.

JB 🙂

18 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

Ship arrives at 6:00 am and our flight leaves Heathrow at 1:40 p.m.

If using a car service, aim for a pick up from the cruise terminal no later than 08:30

A local car company will be able to find out which berth you are arriving at, but the Southampton port website will give the information nearer to your cruise date 

Thank everyone will check with the companies that Mr Bull provided. 
I do appreciate all the advice. Usually we use Regent air so have not ever had to do this but I have credit I have to use or will lose it.

This is definitely not my cup of tea.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

What would be earliest acceptable Heathrow departure? EZ Air says a leave at 1:00 for return flight. We have an option at 12:20 - too early? Princess arrives at Southampton at 6:00am

Expect unassisted disembarkation (haul your own bags from your cabin) to start at about 7am, and the first tranche of regular disembarkation at 7.30.

With unassisted disembarkation and a booked transfer car waiting for you at 7.15 you'll be fine for 1pm, probably 12.20 too though I'd play safe and book the 1pm flight -  unless its a saturday or sunday, when traffic is a dream. 

Princess normally recommend not taking their transfer bus for a flight before 1pm

JB 🙂

13 hours ago, John Bull said:

Expect unassisted disembarkation (haul your own bags from your cabin) to start at about 7am, and the first tranche of regular disembarkation at 7.30.

With unassisted disembarkation and a booked transfer car waiting for you at 7.15 you'll be fine for 1pm, probably 12.20 too though I'd play safe and book the 1pm flight -  unless its a saturday or sunday, when traffic is a dream. 

Princess normally recommend not taking their transfer bus for a flight before 1pm

JB 🙂

Thanks it is a Sunday, we are using Miles and the next option at 2:50pm needs extra miles to be purchased, $1200. Hotel overnight and fly home Monday would be much cheaper and less stress.