Items cut from sea day brunch

Drew B 58

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The Spirit class (or at least some ships) used to have a small buffet with rotating Chinese (maybe pan-Asian) food that was actually pretty good. But I believe it got replaced with a paid venue (likely Seafood Shack or sushi) when Carnival started pushing these harder.

One of the buffet counters on the Pride is pan Asian. It's OK and sometimes not,lol.

51 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Am I the only one who's never not seen a line at the Mongolian Wok? It's almost always a zoo.

Personally, I'd prefer a premade, almost like mall Chinese where you can just get it an go. 

The line on the Liberty was always insane. I’m gonna run to the line on the Dream and hope people are just wanting burgers in 16 days. 

Yeah I was on Freedom last year, the cruise was maybe 60-70% capacity - which is almost spooky empty. Never had to wait for an elevator, comedy club always had room to spread out. But there was always a line at Mongolian Wok...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crismess669 said:

Agreed! We skipped desserts a few nights which is very unusual for me. Dessert is my favorite meal. Also, apparently the cake buffet is only open at lunch. Why? I’m far more likely to crave cake late at night then at noon.

I've had the cakes on the Horizon in 2018 & 2019 and the Mardi Gras in 2022.  They look great, but most of them don't taste too good.  The gelato is much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d12j28 said:

I have never seen them offer only 1 choice for dessert in the MDR.  

One choice that changes daily.  There is a sugar free option and the always available ice cream and WCMC.

All of their competitors offer multiple options that change daily and also multiple options that are steady each day.  

You're the kind of cruiser that the bean counters wants.  You really don't realize what has been taken away and if you don't cruise on other lines you don't know about other options out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

On my July Glory cruise they offer at 4 dessert items.

One is sugar free, one is warm chocolate melting cake, one changes daily and then there are ice cream  choices or the cheese plate.

Just spent 14 days on the Mardi Gras, so if your July cruise on the Glory had four different dessert choices that changed every day, why would the newest ship in the fleet only have one?

17 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I've had the cakes on the Horizon in 2018 & 2019 and the Mardi Gras in 2022.  They look great, but most of them don't taste too good.  The gelato is much better.

Are you by chance from the UK? I've found that there may be cultural differences in food tastes. I've seen many Brits quite critical of the taste of Cakes baked on Carnival. I'm pretty discerning and while I make no pretentions that their cakes are going to win on a Great British Bake-off episode I think they're pretty tasty. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Am I the only one who's never not seen a line at the Mongolian Wok? It's almost always a zoo.

Personally, I'd prefer a premade, almost like mall Chinese where you can just get it an go. 

On the Vista Class and Excel Class ships it is now ordered on paper and brought to you in a sit down format, unlike the older smaller ships in the fleet that may still have it as a stand at station in the buffet area.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thunderingherd11 said:

Looks good to me.  I don't complain about what is not there.  restaurants change menu items all the time.  Its called changing if Olive Garden does it, but its cutbacks if a cruiseline does it.  

It's cutbacks if something is taken away and not replaced by something comparable. Similar to the change with the downgrade of the steak/eggs from filet to strip loin.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Are you by chance from the UK? I've found that there may be cultural differences in food tastes. I've seen many Brits quite critical of the taste of Cakes baked on Carnival. I'm pretty discerning and while I make no pretentions that their cakes are going to win on a Great British Bake-off episode I think they're pretty tasty. 

No, born outside of Philly in NJ and my DH was born in Philly.  Thought the cakes were better when we first had them back in 2018 on the Horizon and the taste had gone down when I tried them again during our multiple cruises on the MG this year.  The gelato though was pretty good.  But of course food is always subjective.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At least I don't pull muscles patting myself on the back.

Carnival caters to mass market cruisers, not individuals and will never please everyone. Some have knee jerk reactions that all changes are cutbacks. Change is the only constant. Embrace it or be run over by it, you can't stop it. Period. Cost containment is here to stay.

Not patting myself on the back at all, so I have no idea where you inferred that from.

Fully aware of whom Carnival caters to and also fully aware that there have been many small changes over the past 10 years or so that has downgraded the Carnival experience in many ways.  Luckily there have been positive changes such as the implementation of the Havana area on the Vista Class and the raising of the bar attempting to keep up with their competitors with the Excel Class.

The individual cruiser can decide with their wallet as to which line gives them the most value.  Some will keep all of their eggs in one basket while others will choose to spread their vacation dollars amongst different cruise lines since variety is truly the spice of life.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

One is sugar free, one is warm chocolate melting cake, one changes daily and then there are ice cream  choices or the cheese plate.

Just spent 14 days on the Mardi Gras, so if your July cruise on the Glory had four different dessert choices that changed every day, why would the newest ship in the fleet only have one?

Don't they also offer a fruit plate?

29 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The individual cruiser can decide with their wallet as to which line gives them the most value.  Some will keep all of their eggs in one basket while others will choose to spread their vacation dollars amongst different cruise lines since variety is truly the spice of life.  

Some of us know the grass isn't greener over there.

The individual spending more on another line is always an option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Some of us know the grass isn't greener over there.

The individual spending more on another line is always an option.

Where the grass is greener can be debated and of course long time CC readers know your loyalties are squarely in the Carnival Corporation.  Spending more than you do on Carnival to broaden your options with their entry level competitors is always an option.  And it goes without saying about spending more on an upgraded line such as Princess if you stay within the Corporation or Celebrity if you wish to have a more adult vacation.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Both make changes that drive higher profits.  That’s what businesses do. 

What is missed is corporations are trying to manage costs in this time of high inflation and supply chain issues. Trying to stay in business is what businesses do. For that, the Carnival product needs to remain affordable 

• Like 1