Upgrade on Sail Date (Not Bid Related)

blizzard44ca

Tried to search, but everything is coming up with the new bidding system!

If I am interested in paying for an upgrade on sail date (or at least seeing what they are offering) what is the process?  Do I ask at check-in, or at PSD on the ship?

We are leaving next week, and there are still lots of cabins available, so I’m wondering if there might be “deals” available, or if it’s a waste of time (ie. still very expensive).  Looking to go from reg. balcony to a deluxe or mini-suite.  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, skynight said:

You can try once on board by visiting passenger services. 

This.  We’ve been successful in getting upgrades, both free and costing money, going to Guest Services upon boarding.  Doesn’t hurt to ask!  There were numerous people doing the same.  

On our July cruise on the Royal, GS had a sign saying that there were no free upgrades available!  (We weren’t interested as we were with family in connecting balconies)

2 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

Tried to search, but everything is coming up with the new bidding system!

If I am interested in paying for an upgrade on sail date (or at least seeing what they are offering) what is the process?  Do I ask at check-in, or at PSD on the ship?

We are leaving next week, and there are still lots of cabins available, so I’m wondering if there might be “deals” available, or if it’s a waste of time (ie. still very expensive).  Looking to go from reg. balcony to a deluxe or mini-suite.  Thanks!

In the past, they sometimes UG for free or call to offer an upsell or paid UG.

If you have your record marked, no upgrade, then they won’t call.

Since the restart, due to ships not being full, they have done some paid upgrades

at Guest services.  Go as soon as you board and ask, it doesn’t hurt. Then, if they say that they will get back to you, go enjoy lunch and see what happens.  Many have reported decent deals, so I’d go for it.

I would look at what is open and have an idea what cabins that I was interested in before the sailing.

Good luck!

Yes, we got one paid and another at no cost for a Hawaii Cruise and Alaska Cruise this year.  I am hoping that they still allow at Passenger Services.  I am doing a Solo cruise next month and didn't want to pay 200% on the bid, I also have another cruise in November, and it looks like the ship current has around 60% occupancy.

Pre=pandemic there was usually a sign at the Customer Services desk that the ship was sailing full (true or not) and no upgrades were available.

After the restart when ships were sailing at far less than capacity, people were able to get upgrades after asking, sometimes free and sometimes paid.

If they are still allowing embarkation day upgrades due to low passenger count, you may not learn about availability until after you have unpacked in your assigned cabin.

Thanks for the help.  We will be early on board, so cabins likely won’t be ready anyway. I’ll head to PSD right away and ask how much? There are many deluxe balconies still available in our section, so if lucky it might be free. Also will ask about a mini-suite.

Will report back on this thread as to what the result is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blizzard44ca said:

Thanks for the help.  We will be early on board, so cabins likely won’t be ready anyway. I’ll head to PSD right away and ask how much? There are many deluxe balconies still available in our section, so if lucky it might be free. Also will ask about a mini-suite.

Will report back on this thread as to what the result is.

"don't push it" - that's what I was I was told in January on the Regal - got a 'comped' upgrade from a deluxe balcony - to a premium deluxe balcony ( true aft and much larger balcony ) when I inquired at PSD upon boarding.  I knew that cabin was available, at least per the website before boarding. (REGAL was at about 30% capacity for that cruise). When I inquired about a comp upgrade to a full suite - that's when I got the 'don't push it' response.  I could have upgraded for the difference in full suite price and what we had paid for the deluxe balcony.

• Haha 1

Well, reporting back… Have to say it was a bit of a “bust”.

We were in the first hundred to board the ship, and went to the PSD. I asked there about how much it would cost to upgrade, but she just said that they were taking names and cabin numbers, and would call us later.  I confirmed that they would call our original cabin, and she said “yes”.  We put our stuff in the cabin, but didn’t unpack, in the hope that they would contact us.  We repeatedly checked back at the cabin for a phone message, but it never came.  We finally unpacked before dinner, and still haven’t heard anything.

If taking our name and cabin was just to get rid of us, I’d prefer that they just said “no upgrades” at the desk.

Edit to add - the ship is only half full

Edited by blizzard44ca

1 hour ago, blizzard44ca said:

Well, reporting back… Have to say it was a bit of a “bust”.

We were in the first hundred to board the ship, and went to the PSD. I asked there about how much it would cost to upgrade, but she just said that they were taking names and cabin numbers, and would call us later.  I confirmed that they would call our original cabin, and she said “yes”.  We put our stuff in the cabin, but didn’t unpack, in the hope that they would contact us.  We repeatedly checked back at the cabin for a phone message, but it never came.  We finally unpacked before dinner, and still haven’t heard anything.

If taking our name and cabin was just to get rid of us, I’d prefer that they just said “no upgrades” at the desk.

Edit to add - the ship is only half full

Not nice. They could have also just left a message to say…none available. 
What ship?

I could be wrong, but with the new bidding process, I don’t think this way of getting upgraded is as available, as in the past. They have filled all the higher categories through the bidding process and I would guess only much lower categories might be open, such as inside.  The old days of grabbing a great upgrade deal onboard is gone IMHO.