MSC VIRTUOSA UK DONT TOUCH

Msc are crap

I like many other people booked a cruise sailing from Southampton on 5th November 2022 on MSC Preziosa. I then read on website Cruise Industry News That MSC had changed ships and now we were sailing on the MSC Virtuosa,  a bigger and newer ship. All good except MSC also decided to change the dates so the ship sails on the 4th a day earlier but still return on the 12th.This means I have got to pay out over £200 in rebooking hotel,  flights and car parking fees which MSC say I have to try to claim off my insurance They have only just confirmed to travel agents the changes still nothing to customers and its less than 7 weeks to go till the departure date.They also seems to think people can change  their travel arrangements  that close to Christmas. MSC attitude is basically tough you are getting an extra day on board and tough that it's costing you extra.

5 minutes ago, Msc are crap said:

I like many other people booked a cruise sailing from Southampton on 5th November 2022 on MSC Preziosa. I then read on website Cruise Industry News That MSC had changed ships and now we were sailing on the MSC Virtuosa,  a bigger and newer ship. All good except MSC also decided to change the dates so the ship sails on the 4th a day earlier but still return on the 12th.This means I have got to pay out over £200 in rebooking hotel,  flights and car parking fees which MSC say I have to try to claim off my insurance They have only just confirmed to travel agents the changes still nothing to customers and its less than 7 weeks to go till the departure date.They also seems to think people can change  their travel arrangements  that close to Christmas. MSC attitude is basically tough you are getting an extra day on board and tough that it's costing you extra.

That's about right. They don't care.

I have a sailing coming up that they added 3 days prior.  Then just a week ago they added another day at the end.

No compensation for two changes.

I will deal with that once onboard. I always have raised issues that don't really get solved but they offer you many things. They will even screw over their own crew.

• Like 1

You have my every sympathy that your (and others) plans have been disrupted by the change of ships in the UK from Preziosa to Virtuosa.   Nor can I deny that MSC's UK customer services and website can be frustrating and confusing.

However, I do think your capital letter title about not touching MSC Virtuosa is not the ship's fault, nor is the experience on her indicative of the customer service you have received shore side.   I can assure she's a beautiful ship inside and out.

I do hope you get a satisfactory conclusion.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Msc are crap said:

......They also seems to think people can change  their travel arrangements  that close to Christmas. MSC attitude is basically tough you are getting an extra day on board and tough that it's costing you extra.

The T&Cs/small print is your friend, although few read them prior to booking! Presumably your flights are self booked, so there is always a risk doing so .Refundable Hotel bookings are always the best option, It's definitely a plus getting the extra day on board, and Christmas Eve is some 50 days after boarding date and 42 days after disembarking! 😉 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hamrag said:

The T&Cs/small print is your friend, although few read them prior to booking! 

😉

They don't follow the T&C or don't care.

I read them and I had counsel confirm I read them correctly,only to be told they are going to ignore them 

I really don't subscribe to the compensation culture that many seem to.  Ship happens.  And it happens on all modes of travel and all cruise lines.

So, the OP has 7 weeks notice that they are getting an extra night on a newer ship.  The change in date may mean they incur some additional charges.   This is what travel insurance is for.  I don't believe there is any reason for the cruise line to  help them rearrange their travel arrangements or to pay any costs incurred, unless those arrangements are all part of a package holiday sold by the cruise line.  If it is not a package, the OP chose to make independent arrangements to join the cruise and thus accepted the risk involved with that.  No doubt, they also mitigated that risk by purchasing travel insurance... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

The change in date may mean they incur some additional charges.   This is what travel insurance is for.  I don't believe there is any reason for the cruise line to  help them rearrange their travel arrangements or to pay any costs incurred, unless those arrangements are all part of a package holiday sold by the cruise line.  If it is not a package, the OP chose to make independent arrangements to join the cruise and thus accepted the risk involved with that.  No doubt, they also mitigated that risk by purchasing travel insurance... 

Travel insurance won't pay.  I was in a similar situation on another sailing. Spent $400 in change fee's then they added another day and I had to change airfare again and a new hotel stay losing my prepaid hotel.

Claim denied! Trip did no start yet. Plain and simple. I was able to amend my travel dates.  It would have been another issue if there was a cessation of services, but there was not. Trip is still happening.

11 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Travel insurance won't pay. 

That still doesn't make it the cruise line's problem.  It means you need better travel insurance and / or that you need to book refundable / variable air tickets and hotels.  I've no idea how these things work in the US, but in the UK decent travel insurance will cover events like this and it's simple (although it might cost a bit more) to book flexible flight tickets and accommodation which allows dates and arrangements to be changed right up to the day of travel (or very close).  

It's a shame if individuals find themselves financially disadvantaged by their own failure to allow for contingencies in their independent travel arrangements and / or to cover themselves against the associated risks, but they made those decisions so they need to be prepared for the consequences.

• Like 3

That isn't the fault of MSC. With your own travel and hotel arrangement it is really your problem. 
The terms of MSC are so, that they can change itinerary and ship as they want. You booked a ship trip but the can change dates, ports and ships as they like. All other cruise lines have the same terms and conditions in this case.

And a travel insurance will not pay events like this.

2 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

That isn't the fault of MSC. With your own travel and hotel arrangement it is really your problem. 

It is as simple as this. If someone books the cheapest option for flights, hotels and even parking long in advance without any options for changing, then he has to take the risks.

And the Virtuosa is a wonderful ship I am delighted to touch a second time this year in a few weeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

That still doesn't make it the cruise line's problem.  It means you need better travel insurance and / or that you need to book refundable / variable air tickets and hotels.  I've no idea how these things work in the US, but in the UK decent travel insurance will cover events like this and it's simple (although it might cost a bit more) to book flexible flight tickets and accommodation which allows dates and arrangements to be changed right up to the day of travel (or very close).  

It's a shame if individuals find themselves financially disadvantaged by their own failure to allow for contingencies in their independent travel arrangements and / or to cover themselves against the associated risks, but they made those decisions so they need to be prepared for the consequences.

I personally did book flexible flights but I still incurred a change fee on Lufthansa.

My travel insurance for this trip costed over $1800.

It's one of the best out there.

Most prefer to book flights themselves because they find it allows them more choice/it's cheaper. Situations like this are here to remind us that the “cheap” fare comes with a price — you're on your own in cases like this. Basically I don't see how MSC could be blamed, they offered you support with booking your flights.

For those you can afford, traveling with miles is probably the safest bet. 

On 9/22/2022 at 12:27 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

They don't follow the T&C or don't care.

I read them and I had counsel confirm I read them correctly,only to be told they are going to ignore them 

Yet you sail them again. And again. And again. And again. At some point I have to think you really aren’t all that bothered by the issues you seem to have on every sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2022 at 8:19 AM, cruising.mark.uk said:

Exactly.  Non-refundable/prepaid hotels and rental cars are cheaper for a reason. You’re gambling that your plans won’t change, and they gamble that some people will forfeit, which is pure profit. Personally, I’ll pay the $10 more for the flexibility. Airfare may be a different story. I don’t fly unless it’s absolutely unavoidable, so I’m not up up on current policies in that regard. 

9 minutes ago, racephoto said:

Yet you sail them again. And again. And again. And again. At some point I have to think you really aren’t all that bothered by the issues you seem to have on every sailing. 

While I certainly wouldn't say that mscdivina2016 has not crossed the obsession line, there are certainly companies that provides me with products and services that I like, even though some part of the experience is not at the level I would expect. I believe it's somehow “sane” that we keep a clear eyes on things and are able to help them raise the bar, by pointing out the areas that needs improvements.

For example, I do love Disney but their park reservation system sucks. I love Apple but dealing with them is a hassle as everything has to be done on the phone. I love Uber Eats even though 90% of my orders are incomplete/not delivered where I intended. I love Air France though their business domestic products completely sucks. I love Accor but their customer service… well… there is none.

I can go on and go on (even though I'm not registering on fan forums for each of these brands to complain every day of my issues so maybe I've not yet reached “divina” obsession.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racephoto said:

Famous quote from MOL: "If I would get only 1 € for everyone who says "I will never fly with Ryanair again" and then flies with us again, I would be the richest man in human history" 😄 

Over the years I also many times said "Not acceptable, next time I cruise with another line". And when I search for the cruise then MSC comes around with this: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iwtobek said:

While I certainly wouldn't say that mscdivina2016 has not crossed the obsession line, there are certainly companies that provides me with products and services that I like, even though some part of the experience is not at the level I would expect. I believe it's somehow “sane” that we keep a clear eyes on things and are able to help them raise the bar, by pointing out the areas that needs improvements.

For example, I do love Disney but their park reservation system sucks. I love Apple but dealing with them is a hassle as everything has to be done on the phone. I love Uber Eats even though 90% of my orders are incomplete/not delivered where I intended. I love Air France though their business domestic products completely sucks. I love Accor but their customer service… well… there is none.

I can go on and go on (even though I'm not registering on fan forums for each of these brands to complain every day of my issues so maybe I've not yet reached “divina” obsession.)

That is a pretty good example.

My obsession has become a game now. 

But keep something in mind. I am not walking away empty handed on every single one of these cruises. There is a huge file and each escalation is in it. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, I know everyone has different expectations from their vacation time.  Mine is to have a fantastic holiday.  Gauging success on how big a file of complaints one can build up with the provider seems like a slightly strange metric by which to measure the enjoyment accrued from expensive leisure time.  It brings to mind the definition of insanity attributed to Einstein: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

But, each to their own...

Just now, cruising.mark.uk said:

Hmmm, I know everyone has different expectations from their vacation time.  Mine is to have a fantastic holiday.  Gauging success on how big a file of complaints one can build up with the provider seems like a slightly strange metric by which to measure the enjoyment accrued from expensive leisure time.  It brings to mind the definition of insanity attributed to Einstein: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

But, each to their own...

We travel 200+ days a year so travel to us is just what we do every day.

I am not trying to build a file, it just happened over total stupidity and I am not some lemming that is going to let it go.

I cannot believe it is still going on. I will probably end up taking it to court and will be banned.

•Booked cruise paid in full.

•MSC accidentally cancels cruise,refunds it and admits it in writing back to me it was their mistake.

•I need to pay again but extra $1000 now to put reservation back but will immediately be adjusted once new booking number is generated.

Still have not gotten the $1000 back and it was since 2020.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

I personally did book flexible flights but I still incurred a change fee on Lufthansa.

My travel insurance for this trip costed over $1800.

It's one of the best out there.

Wow!!! $1800 that is insane! My mind is blown.

My travel insurance for my last cruise for myself and my entire family cost £48.

Yes you read that right £48!

That included, £5,000 each cancellation cover (which was enough), £8,000,000 medical cover each, cruise missed port cover, repatriation, £4000 technology cover, £20,000 cover for my watch, £15,000 for my wife's ring. COVID cover, days lost to illness cover I can't remember exactly what the luggage cover was but it was in the region of £1000 per lost case.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, Msc are crap said:

Hey - you and MSCdivina can form a new forum together.

He can give you lots of advice (keep in mind that MSC may threaten to arrest you at some point).

24 minutes ago, 77red96 said:

My travel insurance for my last cruise for myself and my entire family cost £48.

Yes you read that right £48!

That included, £5,000 each cancellation cover (which was enough), £8,000,000 medical cover each, cruise missed port cover, repatriation, £4000 technology cover, £20,000 cover for my watch, £15,000 for my wife's ring. COVID cover, days lost to illness cover I can't remember exactly what the luggage cover was but it was in the region of £1000 per lost case.

But what did your trip cost?

I have a Safari in Africa with emergency medical evac.

Business class air the whole trip.

18 night cruise in Yacht club.

About $35,000 trip cost.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, racephoto said:

Any one else starting to think we may have "Bermuda Bound" in a new persona?

Smellgate anyone?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 77red96 said:

Depending on what you want to ensure, where, how long, if you have precondition diseases, price can skyrocket easily.

I'm glad MSC provides a cheap insurance for Med cruise. The alternatives can be around 10x more expensive.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Business class air the whole trip.

Interesting this changes your insurance costs. Flying in J also, don't remember being asked (only the insured amount — or is that what you were trying to say?)