Discovery Princess CA Coastal Excursions - 3/11/23 sailing

TravelGirlinDallas

This is my first Princess cruise. I've been looking at the excursions for this CA coastal sailing next March, and there only about 10 excursions for each port (San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Ensenada). Will they release more as the date gets closer, or is this likely all they will have? Trying to decide when we need to book. 

I wouldn't anticipate at this point they would be adding many more. Most of these ports are very easy to do on your own and a lot of people probably book private excursions or make their own plans for the day, so perhaps they just don't offer as many options on these Coastal cruises as it might be hard to fill them. I would encourage you to take a look at Tripadvisor for each port and you might get some great ideas for more cost effective tours or activities that you can schedule on your own. These are great ports - lots to do that is easily accessible without booking through Princess!

• Like 3

We were also hoping to do a tour of LA after debarkation on the last morning. I've done that before years ago on another line. However, the only excursion available on that morning is a tour of the various beaches, not a tour of the LA sights. I was really hoping they would add another option for that day, at least.

I've contacted various other tour companies found on TripAdvisor and none of them could accommodate our luggage and transportation needs (pickup at port, dropoff at LAX), unless we booked a private guide for $$$.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We were also hoping to do a tour of LA after debarkation on the last morning. I've done that before years ago on another line. However, the only excursion available on that morning is a tour of the various beaches, not a tour of the LA sights. I was really hoping they would add another option for that day, at least.

I've contacted various other tour companies found on TripAdvisor and none of them could accommodate our luggage and transportation needs (pickup at port, dropoff at LAX), unless we booked a private guide for $$$.

Rent a car?

17 minutes ago, NownZen said:

Rent a car?

I've done LA on my own before as well as with an excursion, and having a guide/driver was definitely better. We've seen the sights before, but our son hasn't, so that's why we were interested in doing it again. I was hoping Princess might offer something like that. I guess the chances of them adding more options before we sail seems pretty slim.

46 minutes ago, NownZen said:

Rent a car?

Unless you are familiar with LA and the surrounding cities, driving to see the sights could be a real chore.  Traffic is as bad as they say, and often worse.  Parking is hard to find in the city and expensive.  I would recommend you take a private tour if Princess doesn't offer one.  Tour drivers know the shortcuts.  Getting into LAX is a time-consuming adventure on its own.

• Like 1

I am a (proud) charter member of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  Here is your do it on your own day in Monterey.

Order your tickets online (they are expensive, but well worth the day).

https://www.montereybayaquarium.org

Meals:  Clam chowder at the aquarium or First Awakening https://firstawakenings.net

Walk around the adorable little town of Pacific Grove.

Skip the 17 mile drive.

Lived in and Love Monterey.  It has been off limits to cruise ships for years.  Enjoy your time here.

As for other excursions.  Book ahead of time (before they are sold out or prices go up/closer to cruise).  You can always cancel your reservations.  Do your homework.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Here's a vendor you might want to check out: https://lacitytours.com/layover-tours/

They offer tours with pick up at San Pedro port and drop off at LAX.

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1