Check In 2.00 pm

MAGSMFC

I have just done our check in four our cruise on the Onward in October and note the earliest time is 2.00 pm.  I was wondering if we will be able to check in before that time as it my birthday that day and want to ensure that we get a reservation in Aqualina that evening and enjoy some cocktails beforehand and hope we don’t have to wait too long for our luggage to arrive.  We are in a club continent suite.

Many thanks.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to board before 2 as that is the current protocol.  In some countries to tie in with this the immigration officers do not arrive until just before 2 so regardless of reason its a no.  In terms of luggage, its an absolute lottery again depends on the port people and also they do not start the delivery in the ship until a certain point in time.  First night reservations in a speciality are very rarely a problem - you should go straight to the reservation desk (currently they are operating them on Deck 9 windows as Deck 5 is being used for muster and other activities .  I would make my own rather than wait to meet your butler.  If however there are no spaces (highly unlikely as I say) ask your butler to see what arrangements can be made - one option they could offer will be seating you in Prime C but serving you the Aqualina menu

• Like 2

If you’re in a suite, I wouldn’t think it would be any problem at all. We are not suite passengers, and we often book into one of the speciality restaurants on the first night, because most other people prefer to go another night. And if you smile sweetly and tell them that it’s your birthday, I’m sure they will be helpful! Good luck.

• Like 3

It is all Port dependent but recently we were able to get the  paperwork completed shoreside just after 1.30pm in Athens for a 2pm checkin. They called us through just before 2pm. We were at muster station meeting onboard  with bubbles in hand at 2.05pm for the 10 minute briefing.

Headed to the room, dropped hand luggage, sorted the speciality restaurant bookings and were having lunch in Windows by 2.45. 
Would agree with @uktog that Speciality restaurants on first night tend to have plenty of availability.

We will test Athens on Saturday but last time we sat and sat and sat.  Eventually immigration arrived about 1410 having been "booked" for 1400.  Ryzard went mad when after setting up all their computers..... they went for a "cigarette" break.  Eventually boarding started about 1445.  Hoping for better but prepared for the same or worse!

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

We will test Athens on Saturday but last time we sat and sat and sat.  Eventually immigration arrived about 1410 having been "booked" for 1400.  Ryzard went mad when after setting up all their computers..... they went for a "cigarette" break.  Eventually boarding started about 1445.  Hoping for better but prepared for the same or worse!

Oh No…Its certainly a lottery for sure! We will doing Athens embarkation again in  3 weeks, perhaps we’ve  had our lucky moment ! OP could take  heart that if things are delayed getting on board, then its the same for everyone.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.  

We have been on other cruises lines and have boarded at 11.30 am from the same port so wonder if this is just particular to Azamara.

We will book the restaurant as soon as we get on board.

Many thanks

25 minutes ago, MAGSMFC said:

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.  

We have been on other cruises lines and have boarded at 11.30 am from the same port so wonder if this is just particular to Azamara.

We will book the restaurant as soon as we get on board.

Many thanks

Before COVID you could do that on Azamara, but now the ship has to have a deep clean.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Assuming that you booked w a TA maybe they can get your reservation for you.  After all.  They have more clout than you have.

DON

TAs cannot get restaurant reservations on Azamara. It’s not about clout it’s about the systems they apply 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when those booked B2B could get a specialty dinner the first night.  If there were too many the other nights were available.  The reason for the first night was because it had fewer reservations and they wanted the boarding passengers in the MDR to have more room!  The feature has long expired but I suspect the first night is still the least book time.

Good Luck!