Creditable Cruise Insurance

Lyndihop

Can anyone suggest (not Holland) a company that would have cruise cancellation insurance along with good medical insurance if needed? Cancel for any reason. 

Prefer companies that you’ve had recently used.  

Holland only covers $10k for medical, which in this day isn’t nearly enough. 

I would suggest you ask this pose this question to a professional travel insurance broker (who represents many companies).   One well known broker (often featured here on CC) is the tripinsurancestore.com  (ask for Steve).

We do completely agree with you that $10,000 or even $20,000 of medical is wholly inadequate for those who have no other coverage when outside the country.  Folks also need to consider that medical and related evacuation expenses are essentially unlimited and can bankrupt folks.  Cancellation insurance simply keeps you from losing what you were going to spend anyway, so it is not nearly as important in terms of long-term financial security.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyndihop said:

In reviewing these policies. 
It appears that you are responsible for paying the charges

Then you have to send in to get reimbursement. 
One almost needs an attorney to review the policies 🥵

That is the way all the travel insurance does it. I am not aware that any travel related business is going to give you a service and bill your insurance later.

1 hour ago, Lyndihop said:

In reviewing these policies. 
It appears that you are responsible for paying the charges

Then you have to send in to get reimbursement. 
One almost needs an attorney to review the policies 🥵

That is the usual process.  Our FedBlue covers us for medical around the world but we still have to send in the HAL list of charges to BCBS, who promptly reimburses us for what we had paid to HAL.  No big deal and, no, it does not require an attorney.

As far as HAL's cancellation policy is concerned, it is excellent protection against an unexpected cancellation, but it is not a general travel insurance policy.  You are expecting of it more than what is represented.  The good thing about it is, which I don't think are included in a third party CFAR policy, is that it can be purchased right up to the time of final payment and you can cancel up to the time of boarding.  I'm not sure of the latter but someone can correct me.  

You do need a medical policy if your private medical insurance doesn't cover you outside the U.S., but do compare the costs of CFAR insurance with HAL's.  

14 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

That is the usual process.  Our FedBlue covers us for medical around the world but we still have to send in the HAL list of charges to BCBS, who promptly reimburses us for what we had paid to HAL.  No big deal and, no, it does not require an attorney.

As far as HAL's cancellation policy is concerned, it is excellent protection against an unexpected cancellation, but it is not a general travel insurance policy.  You are expecting of it more than what is represented.  The good thing about it is, which I don't think are included in a third party CFAR policy, is that it can be purchased right up to the time of final payment and you can cancel up to the time of boarding.  I'm not sure of the latter but someone can correct me.  

You do need a medical policy if your private medical insurance doesn't cover you outside the U.S., but do compare the costs of CFAR insurance with HAL's.  

The cancellation provision is a unique feature of HAL’s insurance. All cancellations are treated the same - no reason required, no worry about pre-existing conditions, no claim forms to submit. Everyone with the Platinum Plan gets 90% back in cash; the Standard Plan pays 80%. It acts as the CFAR provision in third-party insurance, which returns only 75% for an additional premium. That part is fairly attractive, but - as you pointed out - the coverage for other travel risks and medical in the Platinum Plan is minimal. The Standard Plan has none - cancellation only.

I have talked to Steve at Trip Insurance Store .com many times and he is great. He knows his insurance products and has saved me money several times. Real good guy. And I have dealt with many folks at his brokerage and all have been knowledgeable and helpful. I just tell them what coverage I need and they find me a policy.