Ian - Atlantic - Sep 24

PelicanBill

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Well Looks like IAN will close Port Canaveral, just hoping maybe only a one day delay. Since the Getaway is heading from New York with no passengers, I wonder if they will send the Getaway to Miami instead of Port Canaveral? Just wish NCL would let me know before I start driving down tomorrow morning lol

Getaway is still in New York. Bet she stays there or doesn’t go far.  I am now guessing first cruise from Port Canaveral could be canceled due to overall impact to central Florida.

• Like 1

From Port Everglades official website (www.porteverglades.net):

Hurricane Ian

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has notified Port Everglades that Port Condition YANKEE will be set for 8PM today, Tuesday, September 27, 2022. Sustained tropical storm force winds are expected to arrive in South Florida within 24 hours. Port Everglades is currently open for landside and waterside operations. However, vessel traffic may be restricted during periods of high winds and rain. Cruise passengers are recommended to contact their cruise line directly for any updates or itinerary changes.

Added:

I checked the Ships Schedule and there are no multi-day cruise ships in port until October 1 (Allure of the Seas, Celebrity Infinity)

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They do now.  TS watch was added with the 11 AM update.  

Yes, All the feeder rain bands are reaching that far east.  But they'll head north as well.

latest I saw eye of Ian is projected to be just south of JAX on Friday morning.  heading north.  But who know what will happen once it hits land and no hills in its path.

Edited by crewsweeper

On 9/26/2022 at 11:38 AM, zdad59 said:

We sail this week.   sat Oct 1 on Celebrity Infinity.     I’m not so concerned about the sailing.    They’ll go where the weather isn’t.    

MY CONCERN IS GETTING THERE AND THE FLIGHT FROM BALTIMORE.   We’re scheduled to fly Friday at 630am.  Gets us to FLL at 9am.   In theory, Ian has made landfall and is is exiting Florida into southern Georgia.  IN THEORY.   Should we leave Thursday instead?     Don’t want to wait until Saturday. 

Anyone with commercial pilot experience have thoughts ???

We were supposed to be on the Celebrity Infinity on Oct 1st as well, flying out from Montreal. We could not get our ducks in a row to confirm...and now, I'm glad that worked out for us. Wishing you well out of Baltimore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

They  were by fort Laudable, a little west of there 

From the Sun-Sentinel at 10:04 pm:

Ian spawned at least two tornadoes in Broward County on Tuesday night, the National Weather Service said. The tornadoes followed similar paths over Weston, Sunrise, Davie and Cooper City, the weather service said.

Parts of Palm Beach and Broward were under several tornado warnings throughout Tuesday night, and all of South Florida is under a tornado watch through at least 5 a.m. Wednesday.

Landfall.

Storm Surge will be 12-18’ around Port Charlotte.   As noted above (thank you) wind at center is nearly Cat 5. 

Significant impact coming to the east coast  too, from Port Canaveral up to South Carolina. I believe I see evacuations ordered around Jacksonville.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale remain safe and with low impact other the tornadoes that happened.

It’s going to be over Florida through Friday- 3 days. That’s what makes the potential so bad.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

We're on Hilton Head Island just off the coast of South Carolina now.  Looks like Friday and Saturday will be 'inside' days.  No beach walking I guess.

You can expect storm surge of 3-5 feet there! Stay safe!