Aurora & Fiona - High Seas

CruiseDad-NYC

I noticed on a wave tracker that the Aurora has been passing through bands of Hurricane Fiona and the seas have been over 10M and currently 9M+.  Curious if anyone on board can describe here what it is like and how the ship is handling the storm.  I know ships are built to handle it, but that is pretty rough! 

Thanks and all the best.

• Like 2

Would really like to know about how she and the passengers fared.   On a separate note my favourite free ship tracker Marine traffic only gives me free access to ships in coastal range.  The satellite range seems to cost an additional £150 per month.  So it’s last position of Aurora is 5 days ago.  Can anyone recommend a different cheap or free one?  I also use sailing weather for sea heights, wind speeds etc which is excellent.   

Edited by galeforce9

2 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Would really like to know about how she and the passengers fared.   On a separate note my favourite free ship tracker Marine traffic only gives me free access to ships in coastal range.  The satellite range seems to cost an additional £150 per month.  So it’s last position of Aurora is 5 days ago.  Can anyone recommend a different cheap or free one?  I also use sailing weather for sea heights, wind speeds etc which is excellent.   

According to another well known site which we cannot mention, passengers are reporting that Aurora is now heading to Quebec (having missed first two ports) and will be there two nights as opposed to one which I’m sure will be appreciated.
The seas which have been understandably rough are apparently calmer now.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

According to another well known site which we cannot mention, passengers are reporting that Aurora is now heading to Quebec (having missed first two ports) and will be there two nights as opposed to one which I’m sure will be appreciated.
The seas which have been understandably rough are apparently calmer now.

Yes, very much confirmed in chat on Facebook.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is on holiday in Nova Scotia with his partner, they were in Baddeck on Friday which is at southern end of Cape Breton, he had been posting about his travels on that Site that can’t be mentioned, no posts since Friday. We are hoping they are both OK. 🤞

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

A friend of mine is on holiday in Nova Scotia with his partner, they were in Baddeck on Friday which is at southern end of Cape Breton, he had been posting about his travels on that Site that can’t be mentioned, no posts since Friday. We are hoping they are both OK. 🤞

I suspect that communications are maybe down in that area given the intensity of that storm. Hopefully you will hear from your friends soon.

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I suspect that communications are maybe down in that area given the intensity of that storm. Hopefully you will hear from your friends soon.

Just heard from our friends they are safe and back in Halifax after last part of their holiday was curtailed due to Fiona, was somewhat scary though when it hit, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Just heard from our friends they are safe and back in Halifax after last part of their holiday was curtailed due to Fiona, was somewhat scary though when it hit, 

Looks like that ship docked in St John’s, NL on Saturday and left today. I saw it all lit up, looked like Christmas…lol. There was another ship in to wait out the storm as well, the Ambiance. 

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

If I had to be on a ship in that kind of weather, Aurora would be my choice every time.  She handles big seas really well, unlike the bigger ones.

We were on Independence in a force 10 in the bay of biscay. Which big ships to you mean ?.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If I had to be on a ship in that kind of weather, Aurora would be my choice every time.  She handles big seas really well, unlike the bigger ones.

Jean, Since you state yourself you have only been on one big ships, that's a very bold statement. We have sailed on all P&Os current fleet as well as Grand class and Coral class on Princess and Voyager and Freedom class on RCI and  Millenium and Solstice class on Celebrity, and our experience is that the bigger the ship the smoother they ride the seas.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

yes I have only been on one big one.  Azura.  we had a Force 9 gale in the Med and it was terrible.  I have been on Aurora, Oriana and Adonia in big seas and have to say they were all good.

an actually had a force 12 on Balmoral and she also was fine.  But as I haven't been on any other big ones, I take your point.

Edited by jeanlyon

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

yes I have only been on one big one.  Azura.  we had a Force 9 gale in the Med and it was terrible.  I have been on Aurora, Oriana and Adonia in big seas and have to say they were all good.

I accept that the Grand class ships do not like strong winds and tend to list badly, but despite that they do not wallow anywhere near as much as a smaller ship. It will be interesting to see how Iona performs when we test drive her in 11 days.

• Like 1

I have actually been in a Force 10 in a 38 foot sailing boat and although I didn't enjoy it, the boat performed beautifully.  Now I wouldn't want to be in a motor cruiser in that sort of weather.  It all depends on the way it's designed below water.  When I emigrated to Canada in 1967, we had a Force 12 across the Atlantic.  We were in the 15,000 ton Cunard Sylvania, pretty small but built as an ocean liner.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have actually been in a Force 10 in a 38 foot sailing boat and although I didn't enjoy it, the boat performed beautifully.  Now I wouldn't want to be in a motor cruiser in that sort of weather.  It all depends on the way it's designed below water.  When I emigrated to Canada in 1967, we had a Force 12 across the Atlantic.  We were in the 15,000 ton Cunard Sylvania, pretty small but built as an ocean liner.

However Aurora is a flat bottomed cruise ship, even if her tiered aft deck makes her appear like an ocean liner.  

Edited by terrierjohn

People often make the mistake of just quoting the wind strength. So much depends on direction relative to direction of travel, swell height and so on.   We were in the Medicane off Italy in Oct 2018 when winds were 110mph where we were. 15 people were killed.   Not pleasant on a 30,000 ton ship but by no means the worst we have experienced.  

‘THE SEA WAS A FURY’ 

Italy storm leaves 11 dead as 110mph winds, 30ft waves and flash flooding leave thousands without power and shut tourist sites

Tourists continue to wade through the waters in Venice while some of the country's most famous landmarks have been closed

Edited by galeforce9

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We were on Queen Mary2 in a gale force 12 and we hardly felt the movement  and she is definitely a large ship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I accept that the Grand class ships do not like strong winds and tend to list badly, but despite that they do not wallow anywhere near as much as a smaller ship. It will be interesting to see how Iona performs when we test drive her in 11 days.

I was on Ventura crossing the Bay of Biscay last November during some stormy weather. I was out on the promenade deck when I noticed the ship listing heavily to Port, the captain came on the tannoy system announcing they were having some engine problems so were doing an engine restart, the ship then became stable.

I was again crossing the Bay of Biscay on Iona last February during the weekend following the big storms which shut the railways down. There were no problems with Iona, a lot more stable than Ventura under the same conditions, but it creaked a lot.

3 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I was on Ventura crossing the Bay of Biscay last November during some stormy weather. I was out on the promenade deck when I noticed the ship listing heavily to Port, the captain came on the tannoy system announcing they were having some engine problems so were doing an engine restart, the ship then became stable.

I was again crossing the Bay of Biscay on Iona last February during the weekend following the big storms which shut the railways down. There were no problems with Iona, a lot more stable than Ventura under the same conditions, but it creaked a lot.

Steel ships either creak or crack, I think I prefer a creak or two.

• Like 1