VAT Refund Forms and Customs

Cliff-FLL

Conventional wisdom says that the VAT refund forms are stamped at our last port in Europe, which we've done many times, and then drop the forms in the local mail.  On a few occasions, the Customs officials came on board to verify receipts and stamp the forms.  Yay!  A government system that works!

Now to throw a wrench into the works...

On our TA later this year, our final stop is Arrecife, which is in the Canary Islands, which is part of Spain, which is part of the EU.  We assumed (uh, oh...) that we'd be able to present our receipts there to begin the refund process, but someone mentioned that the Canaries have a special status.  Under this status, they do not deal with taxes and that they won't stamp our forms.  If this is true, we would need to get our forms stamped in Málaga, but we're not sure of their willingness to do so.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Will the authorities in Arrecife stamp the tax refund forms?  If so, did they come on board the ship or do we need to slog our items through the port and/or town?  If not, were there any problems with getting the forms stamped at the penultimate port within Europe?

People have told me over the years that I need help and, in this instance, I agree with them.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

When we were sailing on Riviera last November on a TA, our great refund plan crashed and burned. Barcelona ultimately became our last EU port as Morocco was cancelled as well as the Canary Islands due to volcanic eruptions. Bottom line, we blew off any chance of getting the VAT refund. 
Moral of the story, build a plan with multiple options.

Mauibabes

We've talked about hitting up Customs in Alicante and, if that doesn't work, trying again the next day in Málaga.  If neither will cooperate, we'll still give  Arrecife a shot and hope for the best.  If they're going to offer a refund, they shouldn't make it difficult!  (Of course, for all I know at this point, the folks in Arrecife may just smile and stamp the forms.)

BTW, lived in Sacramento in the mid/late-80s in South Natomas, when they were just starting to build in the area.  Back then, there were rice paddies on the west side of I-5 that, when they started burning the fields, choked out thousands of people!  Hope it's better now.

Yes Cliff, there are still lots of rice fields all over the area but no longer is there burning of the chaff. South NATO as has changed a lot along with a North Natomas area. That was the home area for the Sacramento Kings for over 20 years before they ultimately moved downtown off I-5 and the Capital Mall area.

Hope your plans work and you get your VAT. 
Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

When we were sailing on Riviera last November on a TA, our great refund plan crashed and burned. Barcelona ultimately became our last EU port as Morocco was cancelled as well as the Canary Islands due to volcanic eruptions. Bottom line, we blew off any chance of getting the VAT refund. 
Moral of the story, build a plan with multiple options.

Mauibabes

When we were in Norway  we could mail our receipts in after we got home  also in the UK

Can you not do this  for the EU?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

When we were in Norway  we could mail our receipts in after we got home  also in the UK

Can you not do this  for the EU?

In France you scan you VAT papers and they credit your credit card—the credit show up within a day.

• Thanks 1

The receipts can be submitted by mail from anywhere.  It's just faster getting the refund if you mail them from within the EU.  We've also used the automated kiosks at airports, which are great when they work right.  Regardless of which method we use, however, we must have the Customs Office stamp the rebate forms prior to any processing.  By requiring this, they know that the goods are actually leaving the EU and are eligible for the VAT refund.  Larger airports & sea ports that cater to international travel (outside of the EU) will normally have a Customs Office or facility that can verify that you are leaving the EU and you have the goods in your possession. 

The reason for my question is twofold: 1) Arrecife is not a major port and may not have full-time staff; and, 2) there is a question about whether they have special status and don't/can't provide the necessary stamps and verification.

If anyone has had to deal with this in Arrecife, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks!