Hong Kong

ronrick1943

I’m all in a dither as I’m in the process of arranging an epic SE Asia tour with a night in Phuket, 2 nights elephant hills, 2 nights Siem reap to see Angkor Wat, flight to danang , Hoi an and Hue and fly to join the Spirit in Hong Kong on the 19th and travel down to Singapore. I’ve just discovered that I could face 5 years in jail for taking my vape into Thailand, Cambodia, HK or Singapore so the trip has no option but to be off. What a shame that the governments of these Countries would rather watch people die from smoking rather than loose their sweeteners from the big tobacco companies. 

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m all in a dither as I’m in the process of arranging an epic SE Asia tour with a night in Phuket, 2 nights elephant hills, 2 nights Siem reap to see Angkor Wat, flight to danang , Hoi an and Hue and fly to join the Spirit in Hong Kong on the 19th and travel down to Singapore. I’ve just discovered that I could face 5 years in jail for taking my vape into Thailand, Cambodia, HK or Singapore so the trip has no option but to be off. What a shame that the governments of these Countries would rather watch people die from smoking rather than loose their sweeteners from the big tobacco companies. 

Oh my days. That's terrible! Fancy admitting you partake in such a terrible habit!

I jest. lol.....

I'm amazed at this or why they would feel the need to ban and melt out such punishment. We all know how drug smuggling is dealt with in SE Asia (particularly Singapore) but I genuinely am shocked.

I suspect there must be quite a haul of people being caught out. I found a thread on trip advisor on the subject where someone caught was fined $500 on the spot at the airport. The rest of the thread was made up by people saying he got away lightly and you should respect the law of the land. Fair point...to a degree... But this is hardly like taking alcohol into a Muslim country where you know it might be an issue to do so.

Now I get researching. I always check ahead for countries that may be sensitive about bringing in my drone, so I get the need to check. But I genuinely am very surprised to read this. I've something booked for Bali to Bangkok in 2024.... I will check research everything in advance. Hope toothpaste and underwear will be ok! As you say, the health aspect is BS when they allow smoking, so I suspect the tobacco lobby is the sole reason this rule exists as you suspect.

Crazy reason to have to cancel, but on the flip side, well done on researching. I wouldn't in a million years have seen this as a problem, apart from maybe airlines worrying e cigarettes might explode but not a country wide ban. But then after the past 2 1/2 years nothing shocks me too much now 

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Oh my days. That's terrible! Fancy admitting you partake in such a terrible habit!

I jest. lol.....

I'm amazed at this or why they would feel the need to ban and melt out such punishment. We all know how drug smuggling is dealt with in SE Asia (particularly Singapore) but I genuinely am shocked.

I suspect there must be quite a haul of people being caught out. I found a thread on trip advisor on the subject where someone caught was fined $500 on the spot at the airport. The rest of the thread was made up by people saying he got away lightly and you should respect the law of the land. Fair point...to a degree... But this is hardly like taking alcohol into a Muslim country where you know it might be an issue to do so.

Now I get researching. I always check ahead for countries that may be sensitive about bringing in my drone, so I get the need to check. But I genuinely am very surprised to read this. I've something booked for Bali to Bangkok in 2024.... I will check research everything in advance. Hope toothpaste and underwear will be ok! As you say, the health aspect is BS when they allow smoking, so I suspect the tobacco lobby is the sole reason this rule exists as you suspect.

Crazy reason to have to cancel, but on the flip side, well done on researching. I wouldn't in a million years have seen this as a problem, apart from maybe airlines worrying e cigarettes might explode but not a country wide ban. But then after the past 2 1/2 years nothing shocks me too much now 

I Was truly taken aback and came across it purely by accident. It’s one of the very few things I have to thank YouTube algorithms for. It picked up that I’d been researching Thailand and that I’d been looking for a new vape and suggested a video from someone that had been arrested!

Wow that is crazy.  We are going to Singapore after our cruise this February.  DW smokes but also likes to vape.  I read you can't even carry a vape when transiting at changi airport.  They probably do it because they can't tell what is in the oil.

6 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Wow that is crazy.  We are going to Singapore after our cruise this February.  DW smokes but also likes to vape.  I read you can't even carry a vape when transiting at changi airport.  They probably do it because they can't tell what is in the oil.

I Think they do it because they are in the pockets of the tobacco companies myself. 

23 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Was truly taken aback and came across it purely by accident. It’s one of the very few things I have to thank YouTube algorithms for. It picked up that I’d been researching Thailand and that I’d been looking for a new vape and suggested a video from someone that had been arrested!

I guess the moral is, never be surprised by anything in the world now and your findings show how important it is to research.

I do agree with your thoughts on who is influencing this madness. I'm still nodding my head in disbelief that it's real!