Remember when we used to send lots of postcards when we cruised?

MMDown Under

Remember when we used to send lots of postcards when we cruised?  The cruise line would give you some postcards of the ship, plus stationery and a pen in a compendium.  You used to put written postcards in a box for the ship to send on our behalf. 

Well today I posted a light 9g card to USA - cost $3.50, if you please.  If you sent 10 that would have been $35!

I asked the man at the post office for stamps please, but he still gave me a while postage sticker.  I said I asked for stamps please.  Children want to see letter came from Australia.  He didn't blush when he said he didn't have any $3.50 stamps.  I replied I would get them in the city.  Then he reluctantly pealed off the sticker, gave me my money back and got me to sign a refund docket.  When he saw I had put I wanted stamps under reason for refund, he decided to ask someone out the back. He came to the front desk and showed him where the stamps were in the drawer, so he put $3.50 stamp on letter and stamped it and I gave him money again for stamp and he gave me change.  Now you know why stamps cost $3.50.

• Haha 2

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Remember when we used to send lots of postcards when we cruised?  The cruise line would give you some postcards of the ship, plus stationery and a pen in a compendium.  You used to put written postcards in a box for the ship to send on our behalf. 

Well today I posted a light 9g card to USA - cost $3.50, if you please.  If you sent 10 that would have been $35!

I asked the man at the post office for stamps please, but he still gave me a white postage sticker.  I said I asked for stamps please.  Children want to see letter came from Australia.  He didn't blush when he said he didn't have any $3.50 stamps.  I replied I would get them in the city.  Then he reluctantly pealed off the sticker, gave me my money back and got me to sign a refund docket.  When he saw I had put I wanted stamps under reason for refund, he decided to ask someone out the back. He came to the front desk and showed him where the stamps were in the drawer, so he put $3.50 stamp on letter and stamped it and I gave him money again for stamp and he gave me change.  Now you know why stamps cost $3.50.

• 1 month later...

Oh yes! We did the 2011 WC and posted to our, at the time. 5 grandchildren from every port. Though the postcards were usually from the previous port. Over half of the cards never arrived! Saddened to know I spent a lot of time writing on each one, racking my brain to think of something different to mention on each card. Humph! wouldn't again. I doubt we can buy them now. 

• 11 months later...

I often buy postcards while on vacation (including when I am on a cruise ship) and mail them to family, friends, and strangers.  If I am on a cruise, I wait until I get home to mail them.  

With the strangers that I mail them too, I know a few teachers from online that uses postcards in the classroom who uses postcards to help teach history, geography, est.  I am also into a hobby called Postcrossing, an online project for people to exchange postcards with other members globally. 

I have never sent postcards during a cruise or other vacation, but I used to go looking for postcards with pictures of old ships while in ports. (I am a ship geek.)  I have a nice collection now.  I never had an interest in shopping for jewelry, liquor, shot glasses, magnets, etc., so the old postcards were a neat goal.

• 1 month later...