Food Cost and Quality?

mfs2k

49 minutes ago, IZZYDAD said:

I think Celebrity could hire only Michelin stared chef’s and some people would still complain. Some people are only happy when they are complaining.

If the food didn’t meet the quality standards set by them, years ago, it wouldn’t make a difference who cooked it, a Michelin stared chef or a cook from a homeless shelter, people would complain. What about people who wouldn’t complain no matter what?

Food s subjective , just because you enjoy it, believe it or not, that doesn’t mean everybody else does. 

In 2019 we could buy a 1 pound filet mignon for $8.99 a pound, today  (3 yrs later) that same 1 pound filet is $21.99.   

I looked at a 7 N Pacific Coast cruise we took in October 2019 in Aqua with Classic beverage and $300 OBC,  (no wi-fi or tips) cost $3653.  That same itinerary this October, same Aqua cabin with Classic Beverage, tips and wi-fi is $4111.  So the cruise price increased 12.5% in 3 years but that filet has increased almost 250%.  
Most of us wouldn’t be cruising if the price for 7N on a unrevolutionized ship is Aqua was $9100 even if the portions sizes, steak thickness, Albacore tuna and all of the food and drink offerings were identical to 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

In 2019 we could buy a 1 pound filet mignon for $8.99 a pound, today  (3 yrs later) that same 1 pound filet is $21.99.   

I looked at a 7 N Pacific Coast cruise we took in October 2019 in Aqua with Classic beverage and $300 OBC,  (no wi-fi or tips) cost $3653.  That same itinerary this October, same Aqua cabin with Classic Beverage, tips and wi-fi is $4111.  So the cruise price increased 12.5% in 3 years but that filet has increased almost 250%.  
Most of us wouldn’t be cruising if the price for 7N on a unrevolutionized ship is Aqua was $9100 even if the portions sizes, steak thickness, Albacore tuna and all of the food and drink offerings were identical to 2019. 

I get your point but the comparison between the escalation of the cost of filet mignon and the overall cost of a cruise doesn't hold much water.  After all, food is only one part of the cruise line's cost and they purchase it a lot differently than a passenger does at the grocery store.

Pre-pandemic, food costs for RCL as a whole ran 5% - 7% of revenue (X is not broken out).  Trend has been rising slightly but may be due to expansion of higher cost specialty and suite restaurants.

Under the direction of chef Michel Roux (3 Michelin stars) dining in the mdr was an absolute delight.  Unfortunately he left in 2007  and imo things have never been the same.  Menus today are good, just not the refined dining experience Roux offered.   Dishes today are simpler and likely designed to be prepared and served quickly.  As far as deserts, the baked Alaska parade was corny, but guests loved it.  Same with crepes suzettes and cherries jubilee prepared tableside by hw's.   The buffet offered a wider variety of dishes making it less repetitious.  Evening offerings were different from what was served at lunch.   Buffet also featured full sized shrimp at lunch and sushi in the evening.  The Mast grill offered a variety of barbecued items.

12 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Well, take a steak for example. They can’t do much about the length or width because that’s cow dependent. But they reduce the thickness of a steak to make it weigh less and thus reduce the portion size. And there’s a huge difference in taste between a thin, cooked steak and a thick juicy rare steak. Mmmm

That makes sense, it just didn’t occur to me because I don’t generally order steaks out at restaurants. To me, steaks are a very easy thing to make at home well. It is simple food. When I eat out, I want to enjoy things I would never make myself call my things that are fussy or take plenty of technical skill as a chef to do well.

12 hours ago, calicakes said:

We cruised oceania in February. Buffet was good, better than celebrity.

My one Oceania cruise pre Covid had the very best food. Wonderful grilled jumbo shrimp, crab, lobster at the buffet, nightly, ….you do pay for this upgrade in food, with a regular balcony,  vs celebrity or princess. The bar area before dinner was intimate and easy to meet and talk with regular cruisers. That was a big +….no one gambled so never could play blackjack, that would be a problem for me on longer cruises.

Overall, I book Celebrity which is cheaper & we like the larger ship offerings. We can always find food that is suitable. 

23 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

We also spent $130 in the Tuscan Grille and it was not worth $10 more.  Very disappointed and will not sail Celebrity in the forseeable future for that and other reasons.

So interesting. I read such conflicting reviews of Tuscan Grille. Some say outstanding, best meal on cruise. Others like this. It’s just so subjective. I HATE overly cooked mushy pasta. I like it super chewy as it’s served in Italy. Many (if not most) Americans find firm pasta to be weird and not cooked enough. Same with risotto…the Italian way is never mushy or gummy. Every grain of rice should have a barely chewy core. (When I cook, some of my friends do not like this.) Bottom line, not everyone likes the same thing, and it doesn’t make “the thing” inherently bad (or good for that matter.)  I also think reviews online are heavier weighted with bad ones.  Those who enjoy it are on to other fun experiences and less inclined to write about it. 

Edited by letsgogogo

26 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

I like it (pasta) super chewy as it’s served in Italy.

When you order, request your pasta "al dente." (literal translation is "to the tooth")

Just like you order your steak doneness, it's ok to request your pasta doneness. - But...understand it's a little harder for the kitchen and servers to make sure it's still al dente when you eat it.  The pasta continues to cook when it's hot, out of the pot/pan, on the way to your table. 

Edited by mfs2k

First off, I have to say that the past is often looked at with rose colored glasses.  As time goes by, it's fairly easy to forget the so so items and only remember the highlights (or low lights). Thus, any recollection of how much better it was years ago has to be taken with at least a small grain of salt.

That being said, there have been differences and reductions over time.  Even the menu available in the MDR has shrunk in terms of options available.   For example,  it used to be set up as a 4 course meal with a soup/salad; starter; entree; and dessert.  And, I seem to recall more entree options available each night.

There has always been variations in the quality of the protein available.  My wife has had dry and tough steak on prior cruises 5-10 years ago, while other steak or meats have been incredible.  My experience has been that the wait staff are very willing to give their recommendations as to what has looked the best each evening.

Finally, as to portion size, I'm personally happy that Celebrity doesn't overload the plate in the MDR.  I've never left it feeling anything but full and if I can't satisfy myself with one (or possibly 2) appetizers,  the bread basket, an entree and dessert,  then I need to think about how much I am eating. 

One of the biggest complaints I have had with the Specialty dining is the sheer amount of food they give you.  Maybe its because i am paying extra for it,  but it seems that I end up drastically over eating any time I go to Tuscan.  And the same happens when I go to Murano.  

26 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

First off, I have to say that the past is often looked at with rose colored glasses.  As time goes by, it's fairly easy to forget the so so items and only remember the highlights (or low lights). Thus, any recollection of how much better it was years ago has to be taken with at least a small grain of salt.

That being said, there have been differences and reductions over time.  Even the menu available in the MDR has shrunk in terms of options available.   For example,  it used to be set up as a 4 course meal with a soup/salad; starter; entree; and dessert.  And, I seem to recall more entree options available each night.

There has always been variations in the quality of the protein available.  My wife has had dry and tough steak on prior cruises 5-10 years ago, while other steak or meats have been incredible.  My experience has been that the wait staff are very willing to give their recommendations as to what has looked the best each evening.

Finally, as to portion size, I'm personally happy that Celebrity doesn't overload the plate in the MDR.  I've never left it feeling anything but full and if I can't satisfy myself with one (or possibly 2) appetizers,  the bread basket, an entree and dessert,  then I need to think about how much I am eating. 

One of the biggest complaints I have had with the Specialty dining is the sheer amount of food they give you.  Maybe its because i am paying extra for it,  but it seems that I end up drastically over eating any time I go to Tuscan.  And the same happens when I go to Murano.  

Try asking for smaller portions when ordering.

8 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

So interesting. I read such conflicting reviews of Tuscan Grille. Some say outstanding, best meal on cruise. Others like this. It’s just so subjective. I HATE overly cooked mushy pasta. I like it super chewy as it’s served in Italy. Many (if not most) Americans find firm pasta to be weird and not cooked enough. Same with risotto…the Italian way is never mushy or gummy. Every grain of rice should have a barely chewy core. (When I cook, some of my friends do not like this.) Bottom line, not everyone likes the same thing, and it doesn’t make “the thing” inherently bad (or good for that matter.)  I also think reviews online are heavier weighted with bad ones.  Those who enjoy it are on to other fun experiences and less inclined to write about it. 

On Summit we ate the first night at Tuscan Grille and we liked it.  I would not spend $130, however we thought it was definitely better than what they had in the MDR.

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

On Summit we ate the first night at Tuscan Grille and we liked it.  I would not spend $130, however we thought it was definitely better than what they had in the MDR.

Definitely a higher food cost budget in Tuscan which is why there’s a surcharge. 

9 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

Try asking for smaller portions when ordering.

Not easily done when it comes to portions.  The galley has a standard plate for each item, and a waiter putting in that kind of request does slow things down.  I order extra chops on rack of lamb nights, and the result is often another fully plated entree with sides.  Sometimes the galley places a higher value on efficiency than waste management.