Set Sail! Where are you at? ;)

PinkSandGirl

Hi!  Where are you when the ship is about to Set Sail?   

I am up on a top deck with a cocktail in hand.  It's where I was on my first cruise and tradition for us is to be outside on a top deck with a cocktail in hand.  

I love that feeling of excitement when you hear the horn and you look, trying to tell if the ship is moving.   When it looks like the land and buildings are moving, you know we have Set Sail!  😉

I look at everything as we Sailaway, take pictures and smile.  😉   Yay, all of the planning and now it's here to enjoy.  (I do enjoy the planning though) 

It never gets old! 🥳🎉🚢

Sometimes we often think what we do is what others do as well but I have read over the years that others have their own tradition or special place they like to be. 

Where do you like to be?  Do you have a tradition?  

🍹

• Like 3

I love watching line handling, pilot boats, tugboats, and all that goes into going in and out of a port and I love doing time lapses of the process and taking photos. So I always find somewhere outside to watch. Sometimes our balcony is a good location. Other times I find public deck space.  The last two cruises I was on (not Celebrity) had open public space above the bridge with amazing views. Sometimes the Sunset Bar is a great place. Or even any covered promenade areas that some ships still have. 

And no, it never gets old. Counting the days to the next sail away…..

• Like 5

Always outside, usually an upper deck.  THE BEST ever embarkation sail away was on Constellation leaving Venice . . . A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  Second best embarkation sail away will be repeated a month from today.  Upper deck as we sail under the bridge leaving Bayonne and The New York Harbor area😊778FA268-924A-4303-92A4-E1E4060166DD.thumb.jpeg.8ccadbcc39a38c0e4c9e3bb6f123c7ec.jpeg

• Like 4

When on the Ruby Princess (yes, the plague ship...lol...) I go to the open area over the bridge. It is an amazing view, one never to be forgotten! 

I'll be searching for my favorite place on the Equinox in January... 

• Like 1

It all depends.  My wife refuses to fly so we are restricted to sailing out of USA ports that we can drive to.   

If we are having great time somewhere that is where we are.   Sometimes the Martini Bar, the retreat lounge, on our balcony, Cellar Masters and etc 

We have sailed many times and sail away doesn’t mean that much.  If we miss it we may watch the sail away at the next port.  

We looking at doing a long cross county trip to Seattle to take a Alaska cruise and do a drive thru and also a  8 day rail trip in Alaska.  Then we would do a sail away some where on the top deck 

We have done a few on the heli pad and no longer waste our time.   It is not the best viewing area.  The top decks are much better 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Do ships always dock on the starboard (right) side?

Will Beyond dock on the Magic carpet side closest to the pier?  My cabin is on the port (left) side. 

I don't have experience with the Edge class specifically but generally speaking ships can and do dock on both sides.  It depends on the layout of the specific port, what berth they are assigned, the way the wind is blowing, the ease of getting in and out, the recommendation or decision of the local pilot, and probably other factors I'm not aware of.

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I don't have experience with the Edge class specifically but generally speaking ships can and do dock on both sides.  It depends on the layout of the specific port, what berth they are assigned, the way the wind is blowing, the ease of getting in and out, the recommendation or decision of the local pilot, and probably other factors I'm not aware of.

So I guess one can't choose a cabin based on which side you think the ship will dock on. 

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

So I guess one can't choose a cabin based on which side you think the ship will dock on. 

I personally don't try to guess.  I figure I can always go up on deck if I'm not on the right side.  If you know your ports and you know someone who is familiar with those specific ports, you might be able to get some insight but even within the same port and ship, there is no guarantee they will always park the same way.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lizinindy said:

I'm at home but it is my mission in life to abolish the unnecessary "at."

"where are you?"

It's so simple and perfect

Who needs that extra A and T, right?

(good grief, I need a cruise to relax and get over myself! Bahahaha)🤣

I use both.   For this, I went with the extra A and T. 📝

Anywhere a squirrel can go is a preposition and perhaps there is a squirrel who wants to take a cruise.  😉

🍹

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  Where are you when the ship is about to Set Sail?   

I am up on a top deck with a cocktail in hand.  It's where I was on my first cruise and tradition for us is to be outside on a top deck with a cocktail in hand.  

I love that feeling of excitement when you hear the horn and you look, trying to tell if the ship is moving.   When it looks like the land and buildings are moving, you know we have Set Sail!  😉

I look at everything as we Sailaway, take pictures and smile.  😉   Yay, all of the planning and now it's here to enjoy.  (I do enjoy the planning though) 

It never gets old! 🥳🎉🚢

Sometimes we often think what we do is what others do as well but I have read over the years that others have their own tradition or special place they like to be. 

Where do you like to be?  Do you have a tradition?  

🍹

On my balcony, sitting in the hot tub with an ice cold extra large iced coffee in hand. 

• Like 1

For our initial departure we like to be on a top deck, with the crowds of others who are excited about starting the voyage.

For arriving and departing regular ports we tend to just view from our balcony or wherever we may be in the ship if doing an activity.  However, on Apex (and I assume all E-class ships) we found a "secret" spot we found we loved - on deck five just outside of the theater there is a walkway outside.  We go as forward as we can.  We really like this spot because we are low enough that we can watch what the crew is doing on the dock, see what is happening above us on the wings of the bridge, and even see where the pilot boat guy (I am sure there is a proper name for this person?) comes and goes.  Best of all, other than occasional crew members there is almost never anyone there so we can watch in peace.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Do ships always dock on the starboard (right) side?

Will Beyond dock on the Magic carpet side closest to the pier?  My cabin is on the port (left) side. 

I have been on ships out of the same port and they dock on different sides, for whatever reason.  

My last 3 Celebrity cruises, I was Starboard on 2 and then Port side on the most recent.  When going out of Fort Lauderdale, I like when we are facing out to the water.  There is that little strip of land with houses and we usually face that way (when starboard).  The last time, we were on the Port Side and I thought we would face inland at Port Everglades,  but we faced the water.   Each port we went to, we faced inland.  So, who knows???  

I do like to face inland though, to watch the ship being loaded.  Hehe. 

The Beyond.  ???   Not sure.  We shall see...not much longer to go. 😉

I'm starboard. 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I have been on ships out of the same port and they dock on different sides, for whatever reason. 

Someone told me the Coast Guard sometimes requests the docking position so that the life boats can be deployed for testing purposes. Port one time and starboard the next. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

My last 3 Celebrity cruises, I was Starboard on 2 and then Port side on the most recent.  When going out of Fort Lauderdale, I like when we are facing out to the water.  There is that little strip of land with houses and we usually face that way (when starboard).  The last time, we were on the Port Side and I thought we would face inland at Port Everglades,  but we faced the water.   Each port we went to, we faced inland.  So, who knows???  

I do like to face inland though, to watch the ship being loaded.  Hehe. 

The Beyond.  ???   Not sure.  We shall see...not much longer to go. 😉

I'm starboard. 

🍹

I’m port this cruise. We’ll compare notes. 

• Like 1