The Porch/Seafood Tower Questions

CNSfromHI

During our Silhouette cruise earlier this month, my wife and I twice made reservations for The Porch on different days. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our rez both times (don't ask), so we never experienced this place or, specifically, its "Seafood Tower."

My bride loves seafood, as do I, but she constantly focused on this tower thing for some reason, which was an additional cost per person on top of the basic cost. ($17 per person, I think.)

Anyway, we have another cruise scheduled for March 2023 and I know she will make experiencing this tower happen. So, what is this tower thing? Is it worth the additional expense? It's not about the cost; it's mainly that the shrimp platters/cocktails we ordered were, um... "small" 🙂

Firsthand descriptions and/or photos will be appreciated! 🦞🐟🦐 I hope the Seafood Tower, and this venue, are awesome!

Thank you,

cjr

Are these made to order, or are they only available in the evening?
We ate in the Porch at lunch time and I can’t remember seeing one on the menu.

As to the price we paid $35 p.p for a 4 course meal.001E67FF-EA59-4553-9642-D99289BB921C.thumb.jpeg.c2dbc956f9e349ab8af488ae5d501fd0.jpeg

9F87817E-903C-44CB-AC7B-8F210E7B8AA9.thumb.jpeg.87e5df80304adb054d692d284d6c49ac.jpeg

80AADCE7-CB51-4EA0-81D8-D9C8D2A3A361.thumb.jpeg.c95e10092955d5b674f5816656400c5b.jpeg

FD5621DB-1FB1-46CA-A757-91E1BC885E97.thumb.jpeg.998e51eac433735d250d092d2e0f7f4d.jpeg

We had so much OBC from a price reduction, that we were just pleased to get rid of some of it. My husband took some persuading before our first visit, but was quite happy to go back a second time..

I don’t normally like cold soup, but it was so hot  in the Mediterranean in August, that I tried it. It was full of chicken.

I found it preferable to the salad leaves.

06C88445-15C9-4379-930E-BAD26C74BC2E.thumb.jpeg.3c4ece56e7b08655b576b8fd4539600e.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Thanks 1

I had it for lunch on the Silhouette and loved it. I travel solo frequently and asked the waiter if I could just get the tower as I really wanted to try it but it'd be way too much food for one person. So I paid only for the tower and no cover charge for The Porch. They even brought bread. I tipped well. YMMV as this was in February 2021 with limited capacity. The sangria is good, too! I think I substituted one of the types of seafood for more of the others. 

IMG_3635.jpeg

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

Edited by sbcs5390
  • Thanks 2

On 9/26/2022 at 12:46 PM, CNSfromHI said:

During our Silhouette cruise earlier this month, my wife and I twice made reservations for The Porch on different days. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our rez both times (don't ask), so we never experienced this place or, specifically, its "Seafood Tower."

My bride loves seafood, as do I, but she constantly focused on this tower thing for some reason, which was an additional cost per person on top of the basic cost. ($17 per person, I think.)

Anyway, we have another cruise scheduled for March 2023 and I know she will make experiencing this tower happen. So, what is this tower thing? Is it worth the additional expense? It's not about the cost; it's mainly that the shrimp platters/cocktails we ordered were, um... "small" 🙂

Firsthand descriptions and/or photos will be appreciated! 🦞🐟🦐 I hope the Seafood Tower, and this venue, are awesome!

Thank you,

cjr

Having just had a giant seafood tower at LAVO in Las Vegas the week before the cruise, I rated the Porch's attempt at a 2. Shrimp were small, cold mussels, no oysters, no King crab, too many seafood like salads. I also had the Lobster roll and was absolutely disappointed. Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Having just had a giant seafood tower at LAVO in Las Vegas the week before the cruise, I rated the Porch's attempt at a 2. Shrimp were small, cold mussels, no oysters, no King crab, too many seafood like salads. I also had the Lobster roll and was absolutely disappointed. Just my opinion.

Well it's Las Vegas so no comparison of course.  Mmm but going in a few weeks and you perked my interest.  LOL  

We enjoy the seafood tower at the Porch if only for a change of pace from the buffet and to use our OBC.  Service is great and love the relaxing atmosphere. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 8:29 PM, sbcs5390 said:

I had it for lunch on the Silhouette and loved it. I travel solo frequently and asked the waiter if I could just get the tower as I really wanted to try it but it'd be way too much food for one person. So I paid only for the tower and no cover charge for The Porch. They even brought bread. I tipped well. YMMV as this was in February 2021 with limited capacity. The sangria is good, too! I think I substituted one of the types of seafood for more of the others. 

IMG_3635.jpeg

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3643.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

Thank you for the pix! I doubt we'll be able to just get the Tower (not that we'd want to, I suspect), and I understand that was 2021, but it looks tasty and fresh.

And thank you to everyone who's shared their photos/insights about The Porch/Seafood Tower, too. Everything makes my mouth water!

cjr

1 hour ago, CNSfromHI said:

Thank you for the pix! I doubt we'll be able to just get the Tower (not that we'd want to, I suspect), and I understand that was 2021, but it looks tasty and fresh.

Yes actually it was February 2022 - I had the year wrong!

• Like 1