Neptune room service

sofietucker

Sort of a silly thing, but a heads up: once upon a time, if you were in a suite and the room service menu didn't offer what you want (say eggs benedict), you could simply write it on the tag and they would bring it. No need for that in the expanded-but-pre-pandemic menus, as they were extensive (plus the mimosas, steak, etc.) and everything was ala carte too. But on our recent cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, there were limited menu choices and nothing was a la carte. Plus items that had been free to suite guests were now an extra charge (steak, etc.). And no eggs Benedict, no English muffins at all... So we wrote in our simple request: 2 eggs over easy and English muffins. We received the huge American breakfast with both sausages and bacon! Ate the eggs. Next time, ordered the eggs and a side of toast. Again, received the huge American breakfast! Maybe they can  only serve what is actually printed on the menu.

Room service did not deliver for 90 minutes one day. Called concierge who discovered that they had delivered to the wrong room*. We had to catch our excursion without a meal. So if you are contemplating ordering room service, you might do better by placing your order with the NS concierge.

*One day, we received 6 lovely porcelain vases of the styles in the Dutch Cafe--the canal  houses, etc. Hmm. Concierge discovered that they were misdelivered. Something to keep in mind...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Wow, if I had a Neptune, I would ONLY order through the concierge!  But that's just me, as I've never been in a Neptune, either!  lol...

L.

Remember that the concierge is not on duty 24 hours (more like 14), so this may not work out.  They are very helpful though for arranging dinner in your cabin/verandah.  

Also, we really like having breakfast in the Pinnacle or Club Orange area (depends on the ship).

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Remember that the concierge is not on duty 24 hours (more like 14), so this may not work out.  They are very helpful though for arranging dinner in your cabin/verandah.  

Also, we really like having breakfast in the Pinnacle or Club Orange area (depends on the ship).

Yes, I do recognize that they aren't on 24/7. Personally, I love nothing better than having breakfast on my verandah while the ship comes into port. We order coffee and breakfast to our room every port day.

L.

We almost always have breakfast in the cabin, in a Neptune Suite, Veranda cabin or veranda with Club Orange.  We have always used the door hanger and have sometimes written in modest special requests. Wife was writing pancakes on the menu and they were served.  The waiter said that he got them from the Pinnacle.  We think that room service delivery deserves extra appreciation.

5 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

One may order dinner from the MDR during standard hours regardless of the type of cabin. It’s not a special service for only Neptune suites. We’ve done it a few times.

Oh absolutely!  But this thread is about breakfast room service, not dinner.

• Like 1

We were on the NS in a Neptune last February-March.  We used the card and got everything that we asked for including bagel and lox.  We did order many of our dinners for dining on our balcony and we asked for a lot for our dinners (double entrees and a couple from CO) and tipped our waiter accordingly.   Perhaps that is why we got a bespoke breakfast.   

pork belly dinner 3122.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone: Clearly either a snafu or no-modification policy just on this ship.

We usually have issues with room service in hotels, even the Fairmont (where we had no mushrooms on the mushroom pizza and no cheese on the cheeseburger, lol), to the point that we rarely bother any more. But HAL is usually pretty good. Next time, we'll just pre-order thru the concierge and emphasize it's a modification.