Hello from the “Best of Norway & Scenic Train” post cruise extension

SempreMare

Hello from beautiful Bergen Norway.

Now day 2 of 4 of the “Best of Norway & Scenic Train” post cruise extension following the London to Bergen, British Isles Explorer cruise.

Currently enjoying this view of Bergen from Mt Ulriken.

I believe that’s the Viking Mars still down there in the harbor.

E371E8B0-D4BB-4025-A710-5A12D2C116C0.jpeg

B01FE47E-588B-405D-82ED-13826AED94B8.jpeg

9EB15370-0616-4B81-88C2-3CE1DFB5679C.jpeg

73408D7A-1BCF-4A1E-9FEF-8AADDBC65B46.jpeg

7A07148A-D840-4258-B54F-28BD6E105010.jpeg

9BF99713-F298-4ABC-9189-205008715FDE.png

CA3BA754-A8FC-4340-9F78-099EB96D70C5.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@Twitchly do you have any Bergen to Oslo train riding advice? 

Will the train have USB ports for keeping my iphone charged while taking photos?  iphone battery 🪫 life has been a challenge on this trip.

Not sure about USB ports. Maybe your Viking rep would know? We brought a backup battery to keep our phones charged on this trip but didn’t end up using it. Yet.

As for train riding advice … either side is good. Spectacular scenery early on if you sit on the left; gorgeous scenery later on if you sit on the right. We did the Viking extension in 2018; we had two train cars for Viking passengers and a good tour guide who narrated off and on. 

It is a LONG train ride. Lots of tunnels. The food onboard was meh; we were given vouchers to use. Don’t know how they’ll handle that for you. 

When we arrived in Oslo, they took us on a whirlwind tour, then to a restaurant on the water before getting us to the hotel late. People were exhausted. I believe your excursion has wisely added another full day in Oslo, so hopefully they won’t try to jam so much in after the train ride.

What hotel will you be in? They put us in a lovely old place that felt like an Agatha Christie movie. We extended our stay there an extra night. Trying to remember the name …

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

Viking switched us from the one other hotel in Oslo to the Thon Hotel Opera in Oslo.

I overheard one passenger say they were not happy with the switch. 

I asked the bergen hotel receptionist who said he was from Oslo about it.

He replied, “It’s not the nicest hotel is Oslo, but it is very centrally located.” 

Hmmm…

On 9/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, SempreMare said:

Thanks Twitchly!  

our Oslo hotel will be the

Thon Hotel Opera
https://maps.app.goo.gl/t54hM9kHP5DCACMx6?g_st=ic

We stayed on Thon Rosenkrantz in Oslo this past August.  VERY nice hotel and great location.  

We did a D.I.Y. post cruise after getting off the ship in Bergen.  Only disappointment - had to fly to Oslo since the train tracks were under repair when we went.  But we arrived in Oslo well-rested!  Loved Oslo - spent 4 full days on our own touring around, sampling foods, and enjoying the culture.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Viking switched us from the one other hotel in Oslo to the Thon Hotel Opera in Oslo.

He replied, “It’s not the nicest hotel is Oslo, but it is very centrally located.” 

Hmmm…

We enjoyed this hotel quite a bit - it IS centrally located, between the Oslo main train station, and the opera house.  Lots of dining options, a short stroll to johansgate.  Both the buses and trams stops were convenient, as was the Hop on Hop off bus. Room was comfortable, quiet and the had an outstanding breakfast buffet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Hmmm…

We stayed at the Thon Opera on Oslo.  It was fine - very clean, nice sized rooms, and an excellent breakfast buffet.  It is well located next door to the train station.  We walked everywhere and would stay there again.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, Geosez said:

Twitchly:  Was it The Bristol?  That’s where Viking put us for our pre-extension.  If so, “Agatha Christie” nails it.  Gorgeous woodwork, fabulous breakfast buffet.  Only marred by street construction out front.

Yes, I think that was it. Great place!

• Like 1