Credits for Covid days on board

worcestergal

Well, my much anticipated voyage to the Arctic on Venture has taken a bummer of a turn. I was diagnosed with Covid four days ago and, today, my husband tested positive. Fortunately, the Canadian Covid protocols change on October 1, so we will not have to go into a quarantine hotel in St. John’s. 
We have been told that we would receive cruise credits for our quarantine days here on the ship. But, no one seems to be able to explain how that works. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through this process. Please advise. Thanks!

We were on Encore in March for a planned 26 days - however on day 3 I tested positive, duly followed by the Memsahib a day later.

We spent about 3 nights onboard in quarantine, then were transferred to a quarantine hotel in Tenerife, spent a week there, were flown to Barcelona to "re-join" after 3 nights in a hotel there, only to be told that Encore was quarantined by the Spanish authorities in the port - and the chances of joining at the next port  were hit and miss! So we flew home.

Once the booked cruise schedule had ended we received a very friendly e-mail from SB and that said  as we had spent only 2 of the 26 days "cruising" they would give us a full cost cruise credit -  very fair I thought - and  it was immediately on our SB account to be used on a cruise booking(s) made within the next 12 months  (not departing within 12 months, it can depart later).

Getting the expenses refunded and daily per diem we were entitled to under the "Covid Confidence" deal at the time was much slower - with promises about cheques issued or "in the post" that proved untrue. Still waiting for one cheque!

Anyway, hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent 5 days in quarantine on the Sojourn in August and were credited with 5 days each of future cruise credit commensurate with the amount we had paid for the cruise. This was communicated to us via a letter and a certificate of recovery on our first day of freedom!

43 minutes ago, CanAmBrit said:

We spent 5 days in quarantine on the Sojourn in August and were credited with 5 days each of future cruise credit commensurate with the amount we had paid for the cruise. This was communicated to us via a letter and a certificate of recovery on our first day of freedom!

Same for us on the ovation last month.

Nancy

Thank you all for your responses. I did reach out to the Guest Services Supervisor and she told me that I will be able to use the credits for a cruise which I booked onboard before I got sick. That has made this isolation feel a little bit better. I am very impressed that Seabourn is offering these credits. Definitely a class act…and one that will keep me a loyal customer. 

• Like 2

Worcestergal and subsequent commenters, while I'm delighted to hear that you all received credits for the time you spent in Covid isolation during your cruises, I'm now wondering why my husband and I were not offered credits for the seven days we spent in Covid isolation on the Encore last April. We got Covid 18 days into 26-day cruise.  After being released from isolation, we were able to enjoy the final five days of the cruise.

We'd been operating under the apparently mistaken belief that such credits had only been offered earlier in the pandemic.  If any of you have a copy of Seabourn's written policy regarding such credits, I'd be most grateful if you could share a copy.  Thanks.

DC Traveler - You should definitely check with Seabourn about that. Their “Worry Free” policy can be found on the Seabourn website. Do a search on “Covid policy”.  I did not know about this when I tested positive. I was told about it when I reached out to Guest Services. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worcestergal said:

DC Traveler - You should definitely check with Seabourn about that. Their “Worry Free” policy can be found on the Seabourn website. Do a search on “Covid policy”.  I did not know about this when I tested positive. I was told about it when I reached out to Guest Services. 

Yes, the website clearly states this.  Start on the main page and scroll down to “Your health and safety….” And click on “learn more”.  Then you will see “Travel with confidence” and then the “worry free promise”.  You should get credits for your days in isolation.  On “COvation, The Holiday Cruise, even those of us not in quarantine got FCCS.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:59 PM, worcestergal said:

Well, my much anticipated voyage to the Arctic on Venture has taken a bummer of a turn. I was diagnosed with Covid four days ago and, today, my husband tested positive. Fortunately, the Canadian Covid protocols change on October 1, so we will not have to go into a quarantine hotel in St. John’s. 
We have been told that we would receive cruise credits for our quarantine days here on the ship. But, no one seems to be able to explain how that works. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through this process. Please advise. Thanks!

It happened to us on the Encore and they take the cost of the cruise per day and multiply by the number of days in isolation. Ours was confused because one week was our loyalty week for number of days sailed.  The guest services manager worked out what we were due before we disembarked.  We were very surprised how generous the amount we were given.

Worcestergal, LMB01, and Tallante -- thanks for your responses.  I checked out the worry-free promise language, and it certainly indicates that  we should have received future cruise credits for our seven-day isolation period.

I've raised the issue with our travel agent, and she believes that the worry-free promise only applies to passengers who purchased the Seabourn Shield travel insurance -- I think she's wrong.  But it would be helpful if those of you who did receive FCCs for days in isolation would indicate whether you did or did not have Seabourn Shield coverage.

Many thanks!

35 minutes ago, CanAmBrit said:

Last August we did receive the full 5 days FCC for the days we were quarantined despite NOT have Seabourn Sheild coverage. Your TA is wrong.

Same experience for us in august…we both received the full FCC for the days we were in isolation along with a letter from the Guest Services Manager outlining this info prior to disembarkation.  We did NOT have Seabourn Shield coverage, had travel insurance from a 3rd party.

Nancy

21 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Same experience for us in august…we both received the full FCC for the days we were in isolation along with a letter from the Guest Services Manager outlining this info prior to disembarkation.  We did NOT have Seabourn Shield coverage, had travel insurance from a 3rd party.

Thanks, nancygp -- very helpful to know this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DC Traveler244 said:

I've raised the issue with our travel agent, and she believes that the worry-free promise only applies to passengers who purchased the Seabourn Shield travel insurance -- I think she's wrong.  But it would be helpful if those of you who did receive FCCs for days in isolation would indicate whether you did or did not have Seabourn Shield coverage.

Your TA is incorrect. We didn't have Seabourn Shield and we got all 10 days refunded back as FCC. We were told we had only a certain amount of time to book a cruise but that was easy as we booked a cruise for August next year that included all the ports we missed.

Thanks to all of you who have responded. As I read Seabourn’s language about FCCs for days spent in isolation, I too interpreted FCCs as a benefit that is independent of those available under Seabourn Shield.

But your first-hand experiences have confirmed my understanding AND convinced our TA. She’s now actively pursuing the FCC issue. 

I very much appreciate your taking time to share your experiences. 

• Like 4

On 9/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, caviarforme said:

We were on Encore in March for a planned 26 days - however on day 3 I tested positive, duly followed by the Memsahib a day later.

We spent about 3 nights onboard in quarantine, then were transferred to a quarantine hotel in Tenerife, spent a week there, were flown to Barcelona to "re-join" after 3 nights in a hotel there, only to be told that Encore was quarantined by the Spanish authorities in the port - and the chances of joining at the next port  were hit and miss! So we flew home.

Once the booked cruise schedule had ended we received a very friendly e-mail from SB and that said  as we had spent only 2 of the 26 days "cruising" they would give us a full cost cruise credit -  very fair I thought - and  it was immediately on our SB account to be used on a cruise booking(s) made within the next 12 months  (not departing within 12 months, it can depart later).

Getting the expenses refunded and daily per diem we were entitled to under the "Covid Confidence" deal at the time was much slower - with promises about cheques issued or "in the post" that proved untrue. Still waiting for one cheque!

Anyway, hope this helps

1.  Let us know when you get a cheque (you are now 5-6 months out from when your fiasco ended).

2.  I am glad your account online reflects your promised FCC by now -- that technical part can be forgotten by SB, as time goes on.

3.  I am interested in knowing if you were tested on day 3 of your voyage as a ship or regional mandate, or if you just chose to just test yourself (and if the latter, if you tested due to symptoms, or just because you routinely test while traveling).

I appreciate if you prefer not to answer.

4.  As prices are likely to rise, at the rate inflation is pumping away, it may be worth booking your replacement cruise soon to lock in a good price!

On our recent Quest voyage in Canada there were no testing mandates by the ship or by the region (other than for crew).  But as long as pax who are conscientious enough to test voluntarily continue to get locked up for multiple days, it will discourage bookings by some, even if they get FCC, per diems, etc. (your airfare to UK was not likely expensive, given the short distance, but if one has a long, expensive business class flight to/from another continent approaching five figures, that would not be reimbursed by a cruise line or insurance, since the flight actually happened/was completed.

We were ok with risking losing the value of our business class flights to/from Canada from California if we landed up quarantined on the cruise (we weren't, as we didn't test positive until we got home), but aren't keen on repeating our March 2020 story, where our Australia voyage was cut in half, but the business class tickets costs  (understandably) were not.  We would not have flown there and with those air prices for such a short vacation, and still won't (we don't trust Covid, or Australia's potential reaction to another surge ), but we will continue to fly and book elsewhere -- cruise #7 since Covid (though not on SB) coming up!

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

...But  if one has a long, expensive business class flight to/from another continent approaching five figures, that would not be reimbursed by a cruise line or insurance, since the flight actually happened/was completed.

We were ok with risking losing the value of our business class flights to/from Canada from California if we landed up quarantined on the cruise (we weren't, as we didn't test positive until we got home), but aren't keen on repeating our March 2020 story, where our Australia voyage was cut in half, but the business class tickets costs  (understandably) were not.  We would not have flown there and with those air prices for such a short vacation, and still won't (we don't trust Covid, or Australia's potential reaction to another surge ), but we will continue to fly and book elsewhere -- cruise #7 since Covid (though not on SB) coming up!

This is just one of the reasons we are not cruising right now.  Flying to Europe is  tedious, expensive, and fraught with annoyances right now.  To come down with Covid on the ship after all of that would make for a really frustrating holiday.  If we lived in the UK which is closer to many of the embarkation ports that interest us, we might do it.  As it is, we just don't need the possible aggravation which would ensue.  

Edited by SLSD

Catlover54, we were also in Australia in March 2020, one week into a three week trip, when we had to fly home.  Our travel agent had arranged an itinerary for us, but we booked our own business class air.  Because of that,  even though we had used her for cruises for about 20 years, and had booked the itinerary thru her, she abandoned us in our attempt to get home.  Nine hours on hold with Qantas, eventually giving up and going to the airport to talk to an agent,  and $4,000 in change fees later, we got back to LA, then booked further home to DC.  or that, and other reasons, we are now using a new agent.

45 minutes ago, CLOU said:

Catlover54, we were also in Australia in March 2020, one week into a three week trip, when we had to fly home.  Our travel agent had arranged an itinerary for us, but we booked our own business class air.  Because of that,  even though we had used her for cruises for about 20 years, and had booked the itinerary thru her, she abandoned us in our attempt to get home.  Nine hours on hold with Qantas, eventually giving up and going to the airport to talk to an agent,  and $4,000 in change fees later, we got back to LA, then booked further home to DC.  or that, and other reasons, we are now using a new agent.

We were also abandoned by our longtime agent--not over an  air itinerary--but because we booked our own private guide In Kyoto--after her suggestions had been over the top expensive.  She went radio silent after I told her that we had found a satisfactory guide.

We have not looked back.  Who needs an agent who can't deliver what you need?  We are easy to please people--but I am appalled that your agent would not help you get home.  I guess there was no profit in it for her.  

I’ve been away from CC for several days and I’m glad to see that DCTraveler is having their TA pursue the credit. We, also, did not have Seabourn Shield or a 3rd party insurance and the credits showed up in our Seabourn accounts about a week and a half after we disembarked. We had told the folks at Guest Services on the ship that we wanted the credits applied to the cruise we had booked while at sea, but before our Covid diagnoses. That also was reflected in our account after a week and a half. 

I have to say that I am quite impressed with how the whole thing was handled.

We were quite fortunate that Canada had changed its Covid protocols while we were under isolation on the ship. According to the old protocols, which were in effect before October 1, we would have had to go from the ship to a quarantine hotel in St. John’s. However, with the new protocols, we were able to leave the ship and, since we had both tested negative at that point, have our planned day in St. John’s and take our planned flights home. Of course, we masked both touring around and on our return trip, in accordance with current CDC guidelines.

Bottom line: Seabourn did a great job taking care of us while we were sick and the future cruise credit is a marvelous bonus!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, CLOU said:

Awful.

Travel agents generally seem to get paid a lot of commission money for doing very little, especially these days, with the internet easily available to all but the most disengaged and computer illiterate pax to check available cruises, available appropriate flights, available appropriate hotels, things to do pre and post cruise, etc. Travel has become so precarious and problematic since Covid that it is a good idea anyway to check important things on your own.

The few times they are called on to really earn their income include sudden unexpected events. If they are not available to help at those times  and abandon pax in times of need,  then I fail to see their value, other than for large groups, (e.g., for organizing conventions, charity cruises, etc.), businesses, or on very complex itineraries.

Thanks to the internet (including CC), I typically know more about the travel plan options and pitfalls than my TA.  But I still use her (and share information I learn on CC and from my travels with her) , because  the three times in  the last ten years when I had major unexpected issues --this "luxury travel" TA came through, and she has saved me many, many  thousands of dollars and aggravation (and is also a lovely person, hard not to like). She is now past retirement age, and is likely not making much money anymore per hour worked due to so many Covid disruptions, so I try and send her business even though a booking seems easy to do without a TA.

Some older TAs like her continue to maintain a presence running a TA business even if they are just breaking even, so they can get TA discounts on personal trips for themselves and family, and can also deduct many of their high-end leisure trips as a "business research" expense.  It's win-win for both her and me if she stays in "business" and works in an ethical manner -- there when I really need help. I dread the day when she fully retires.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, DC Traveler244 said:

Worcestergal, LMB01, and Tallante -- thanks for your responses.  I checked out the worry-free promise language, and it certainly indicates that  we should have received future cruise credits for our seven-day isolation period.

Many thanks!

No we didn’t have Seabourn Shield Insurance.

• Thanks 1