Corkage fee payment

debbyfelse1963

I know there is a $15 corkage fee if you bring your own wine onboard but when  do you pay that fee and when checking in at the terminal do you tell them there and it gets added to your onboard folio? I don't drink alcohol and wanted to take a bottle of the alcohol removed wine onboard. Somebody told me they do have it onboard and can even pre order it thru the amenities but they charge $55 a bottle and I can get it locally for less than $10. Thank you

will you be purchasing an NCL beverage plan? if so, there is no longer any corkage fee.

if not, they generally send you to guest services, i think, to pay the fee, but some folks report that sometimes the staff are unprepared or uninterested in charging you the corkage fee, especially for one bottle.

4 hours ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

I know there is a $15 corkage fee if you bring your own wine onboard but when  do you pay that fee and when checking in at the terminal do you tell them there and it gets added to your onboard folio? I don't drink alcohol and wanted to take a bottle of the alcohol removed wine onboard. Somebody told me they do have it onboard and can even pre order it thru the amenities but they charge $55 a bottle and I can get it locally for less than $10. Thank you

You would pay your corkage at security before you get to check-in. It will be charged to your room. If it looks like a bottle of wine, the rent-a-cops won't know the difference. 

I have had wine with me twice in the past, when going on a NCL cruise. Both times the corcage fee was registered by someone who was sitting at a table located somewhere between the check-in area on the pier and the ship itself (close to where photographers were standing to make embarkation photos of boarding passengers). So definitely AFTER check-in.

In my experience, IF they are properly staffed, security will notice the bottle as you go through the screening process in the terminal.  They will ask you to take your bottle over to a table at the side.  A person at that table will inspect the bottle and determine wether it is permitted on board and if the corkage fee applies.  If it does apply, they will write up a slip of paper with your name and cabin number on it.  They will put a sticker on the bottle to indicate corkage has been paid.  You then proceed on to the ship with your bottle.

If the bottle is not permitted, they will likely confiscated it and you will get it back at the end of your cruise.

A day or 2 into your cruise (it has varied for us), a charge for the corkage will appear on your on-board account.  It usually shows as coming from a particular bar or a specialty restaurant.  So sometimes you might wonder what that charge is for.  But it should match the amount of the corkage fee.  They seem to process all the corkage receipts at one time in one of the bar/restaurant locations and then run the charges through that location.

IF they are NOT staffed properly at security, they may not even care to check your bottle out, in which case you just proceed onward to the ship with it.  Don't bring it up if they don't.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

I have the standard FAS drinks package, so understand no corkage fee is now due, do I still have to declare any  Champagne/wine in my luggage at the boarding gate? (and show them proof of my beverage package) or can I safely pack these into my suitcase?    Has anyone been on a cruise lately and can explain the proceedure?   Thanks for any advice.

7 minutes ago, fenny7cats said:

I have the standard FAS drinks package, so understand no corkage fee is now due, do I still have to declare any  Champagne/wine in my luggage at the boarding gate? (and show them proof of my beverage package) or can I safely pack these into my suitcase?    Has anyone been on a cruise lately and can explain the proceedure?   Thanks for any advice.

I don’t think the screeners will know who has the UBP so you would be called to pick up your bags from the naughty room.