Sun, current sailing, 600 passengers

Shellbelle28

We're at about 1/3 capacity this sailing (9/29). It's very weird! The staff are almost over-attentive because there are so few passengers. Don't turn your back on your plate at a table, it'll be whisked away. I know, sounds impossible, but its true. No elevator waiting, never see anybody in the hallways. The Effy, Cruise Next and Spa folks are like vultures, LOL. 

Had dessert for lunch. 

20220930_125644.jpg

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

We're at about 1/3 capacity this sailing (9/29). It's very weird! The staff are almost over-attentive because there are so few passengers.

Enjoy yourselves!  It sounds like Haven service for steerage prices!

(disclaimer: I have no idea what Haven service is like)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yet this forum is filled with cheerleaders insisting that NCL ships are sailing near capacity 🙂 

Depends on the cruise. We sailed with almost 4000 on the Encore in April. Last month, we were closer to 70% on the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean, but that was a one-off short cruise, the week before and week after were closer to capacity (according to the General Manager). Our upcoming Prima cruise is sold out.

• Like 1

For those that keep praying for low capacity better chalk up those cruises as some of the last they will see from the cruise line as it sinks under the sea of red ink. How long do you think your business or employer will operate at 25 -60% of capacity with a negative cash flow and remain in business? Guess economics has ceased to be a subject in any level of education in this country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah….those “last of the season” cruises are fun.  Yours is on one of the oldest ships in the fleet (over 20 years old), sailing an itinerary that’s dicey weather wise (Fall in Alaska).  I like those cruises. But, when they go bad, they go really bad (see FL and Caribbean cruises during Hurricane season).  But, good deals can be had on those.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Depends on the cruise. We sailed with almost 4000 on the Encore in April. Last month, we were closer to 70% on the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean, but that was a one-off short cruise, the week before and week after were closer to capacity (according to the General Manager). Our upcoming Prima cruise is sold out.

Of course, the popular sailings, on popular ships, sailing during popular times have had very good occupancy. NCLH will release their Q3 first week of November. Since CCL only managed 85% during their Q2 and NCL has posted number below CCL since the resumption, I suspect the average occupancy will be no where near 100% as some of the cheerleaders keep suggesting.

BUT........ when NCLH releases Q4 it's likely those who keep insisting fall cruises are sailing near capacity will eat some major crow ;-). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

16 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

how wonderful. I hope our cruise in November is not at capacity 🙂

I think our Nov 1st Escape TA will be at less than 50%. Transatlantics always have fewer passengers, since not a lot of people can take off for three weeks at a time...students, people working, etc.

I have my fingers crossed (which makes typing even more difficult)...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

I think our Nov 1st Escape TA will be at less than 50%. Transatlantics always have fewer passengers, since not a lot of people can take off for three weeks at a time...students, people working, etc.

I have my fingers crossed (which makes typing even more difficult)...

keeping fingers crossed too. 31 days to go :-)..

• Like 1

I don’t understand all these cheerleaders for cruise lines going out of business in a cruise forum. 

Let’s say ncl and carnival and royal go out of business. What do you think that will do to availability and prices?

If anything you should be hoping all the lines do well as competition breeds innovation, more options and better prices. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

I would love a cruise with so few passengers.

Talk about being pampered....Yay🤗

Sounds great. Enjoy.

Not always that good.

Last year on MSC we had 444 (ship holds 4000+) on board. Many things were shut down or closed early. Specialty restaurant's closed.

19 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

How long do you think your business or employer will operate at 25 -60% of capacity with a negative cash flow and remain in business? 

i don't know... thirty years, give or take a year or so?

there are may seasonal businesses that operate this way. it is not uncommon for businesses in resort towns to book 80% or 90% of their revenue in just four months. they operate at a loss in any given month beyond that, but still turn a profit on an annual basis.

many successful broadway shows run for years on the 100%+ revenue from sold out weeks and months during the summer and holiday seasons and school breaks; they coast by with sub par revenue and even deep losses during the lean weeks and months. "phantom of the opera" has done exactly that for 30 years and only just now announced it was closing (after a run of 35 years)...because the weeks with losses became more frequent and consistent than the weeks the show played at a profit. it can't male money on broadway anymore because the profits from the good weeks no longer exceed the vast losses from the bad weeks.

without a doubt, NCL is losing money right now. but when they make money, they make money hand over fist. and so the end of this story is still to be written. if they have no contingency, and they can't monetize their assets and market their product appropriately and adapt to the new normal, and they can't get by during the lean times with the bright shiny promise of tomorrow's revenues, then, yes, they will absolutely suffer and die a miserable death. but that does not yet appear to be happening.

"economics" is more than just red and black ink.

24 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if they have no contingency, and they can't monetize their assets and market their product appropriately and adapt to the new normal, and they can't get by during the lean times with the bright shiny promise of tomorrow's revenues, then, yes, they will absolutely suffer and die a miserable death. but that does not yet appear to be happening.

Yep.  The "new normal" is rapidly approaching the "old normal" (thankfully).

• Thanks 1