Our flight arrives FCO at 9am. How to spend time before hotel check-in?

Sundiego

We are spending 5 days in Rome pre-cruise arriving October 27. I was going to book a private driver through our hotel from FCO to downtown Rome but the hotel is fully booked so I'm sure there is no chance of early check-in. I need suggestions for occupying 2 tired travelers for a 4 or 5 hours! I was thinking maybe Rome In Limo or Rome Cabs for a small tour? We've been to Rome before so I'm not interested in the "big sites". 

Appreciate any ideas, thanks!!

~Denise

What time is your hotel check-in?  Keep in mind that it will likely take you an hour to get through passport control and claim your luggage at FCO, then another 40 minutes or so for the drive from the airport into Rome. That's already putting you close to 11:00 am.

Most hotels will hold your bags until check-in. I'd just go to the hotel, leave my bags, and walk around the center (I assume that's what you mean by "downtown").  Just being outside and walking around will help with the jet lag, even if you didn't sleep much. It's easy to find a pleasant piazza to sit in and have a coffee and cornetto, or maybe lunch. Depending on where your hotel is, you could walk by Trevi Fountain, visit the Pantheon (free), see the fountains in Piazza Navona, etc.  

By the time you're done, it will likely be check-in time.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What time is your hotel check-in?  Keep in mind that it will likely take you an hour to get through passport control and claim your luggage at FCO, then another 40 minutes or so for the drive from the airport into Rome. That's already putting you close to 11:00 am.

Most hotels will hold your bags until check-in. I'd just go to the hotel, leave my bags, and walk around the center (I assume that's what you mean by "downtown").  Just being outside and walking around will help with the jet lag, even if you didn't sleep much. It's easy to find a pleasant piazza to sit in and have a coffee and cornetto, or maybe lunch. Depending on where your hotel is, you could walk by Trevi Fountain, visit the Pantheon (free), see the fountains in Piazza Navona, etc.  

By the time you're done, it will likely be check-in time.

Thanks Cruisemom!! We are staying by the Pantheon (Albergo del Senato). 

4 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

Thanks Cruisemom!! We are staying by the Pantheon (Albergo del Senato). 

I've stayed there many times. 😁

There are two wonderful, famous coffee places nearby -- Tazza d'Oro is on the corner just north of the hotel. Sant'Eustachio is a few blocks west of the Pantheon, headed toward Piazza Navona. (If you're facing the front of the Pantheon, take the street radiating from the right flank of the Pantheon and you'll find it.

There are also several places to sit right on the piazza in front of the Pantheon (and the hotel), the food isn't stupendous but the view is great. And don't overlook the Salumeria directly across the piazza from the hotel, which serves its own porchetta sandwiches, surely a taste of heaven and very traditional.

• Like 2

Also, just two short blocks from the Albergo towards Piazza Navona, you will find the church of San Luigi dei Francesi.  It has some magnificent Caravaggio paintings on the chapels down the left aisle near the front.  Free admission. 

From there, just walk the short distance to Piazza Navona and walk around. 

With any luck you will be able to get to your room earlier than you think.  A lot of people leave early for their flights or cruises.  That was our experience this summer when we got our room around noon

• Like 1

Another church just a short half block from Albergo del Senato and definitely worth a visit is Santa Maria sopra Minerva. Facing the Pantheon, head along its left-hand side until you see the obelisk with the little elephant on it (called "elefantino" by the Italians). It is in front of the church, which doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior is lovely and has just been restored. There is also a Michelangelo sculpture inside.

(The church is called "sopra Minerva" which means "above Minerva" because it was thought that the church was built on top of an ancient Roman temple to Minerva.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Another church just a short half block from Albergo del Senato and definitely worth a visit is Santa Maria sopra Minerva. Facing the Pantheon, head along its left-hand side until you see the obelisk with the little elephant on it (called "elefantino" by the Italians). It is in front of the church, which doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior is lovely and has just been restored. There is also a Michelangelo sculpture inside.

(The church is called "sopra Minerva" which means "above Minerva" because it was thought that the church was built on top of an ancient Roman temple to Minerva.)

That is in my top 5 churches I've visited around the world!  I go there every time I'm in Rome.  Also inside at the main alter is the tomb (minus her head - another story) of St. Catherine of Siena.  

The church is indeed very plain from the outside, but is magnificent inside.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

That is in my top 5 churches I've visited around the world!  I go there every time I'm in Rome.  Also inside at the main alter is the tomb (minus her head - another story) of St. Catherine of Siena.  

The church is indeed very plain from the outside, but is magnificent inside.  

It was still closed for renovations this past July. I hope it is done by now.

• Thanks 1

I love all these suggestions and am printing out this thread and taking it to Rome 🙂

About the airport pickup, I had emailed Albergo del Senato and they can arrange for a car. Price is 65 euro for 2 people. Is this the best solution or should I do something else? I'm not concerned about the 65 euro necessarily, just trying to opt for the path of least resistance.

Thanks to you all!

Denise

Edited by Sundiego

1 minute ago, Sundiego said:

I love all these suggestions and am printing out this thread and taking it to Rome 🙂

About the airport pickup, I had emailed Albergo del Senato and they can arrange for a car. Price is 65 euro for 2 people. Is this the best solution or should I do something else? I'm not concerned about the 65 euro necessarily, just trying to opt for the path of least resistance.

Thanks to you all!

Denise

Try Rome Cabs. It was only 50 euros.

Keep in mind that it will likely take you an hour to get through passport control and claim your luggage at FCO, then another 40 minutes or so for the drive from the airport into Rome. That's already putting you close to 11:00 am.

If that all sounds familiar, it's because I've plagiarised cruisemom's post. 🤭

Well, you can't beat perfection 😏.

In many other cities I'd suggest dropping luggage at your hotel and jumping on a ho-ho bus for a complete circuit for a lazy overview - but Rome is one of the cities where the ho-ho's are a waste of time - they can't access places like the Trevi, the Pantheon or Piazza Navona and spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for trade at Termini station.

€65 sounded high for that transfer - but my experience, and the experience of most others, is now 3 years out-of-date and pre-fuel price-hikes. I've seen similar - and bigger - increases elsewhere in the world.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Isn't the taxi flat rate of about 50 euros from airport to central Rome still in effect?

We were there 2 weeks ago and the flat rate for taxi is now 60.00 EUR.   

Definitely drop your bags and walk to get rid of some jet lag.  

We visited the church San Luigi del Francesi on our trip and it was absolutely magnificent!  You can leave there and walk towards the Plaza Narvona & watch the crowds  do a million selfies in front of the fountain.  Nice place to sit for coffee, wine, etc but most of the restaurants are over priced and not great food unless you go down the smaller side streets.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, Tbird58 said:

We were there 2 weeks ago and the flat rate for taxi is now 60.00 EUR.   

Definitely drop your bags and walk to get rid of some jet lag.  

I think you got ripped off. I just returned yesterday from Rome and my taxi from the center to the airport was the 50 euro flat rate.