Bittersweet Pride Med cruise 10/01/

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

And you said you would have chosen the boat ride to Oia instead of waiting for the cable cars, right?  Cost about 30?

Some people got out of line to purchase the speedboat tickets when they saw how slowly the line was moving, and as the heat got to them.  The Oia hawkers have cleverly stationed their storefronts about 10 feet from the long line.  So the line is between the ticket store and the speedboats filling up with people and going.  I note these are not those little speedboats but just medium sized ferry boats for people only that have a lot of hp.  I will definitely do the Oia option (includes ticket on speedboat, a couple hours free time in Oia, then private minibus back to Thira/Fira at the top of the cliff.

• Thanks 1

I have no plans for Mykonos (Fri, 10/14), and a ship tour (had to use up some OBC somehow) in Santorini (Sun, 10/16).  And the Santorini tour has a wine tasting.  😁  No idea whether a cable car is involved.  Hope not.  I don't do well on that sort of transportation.  Just tried to read the description and can't get into my Carnival account.

13 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have no plans for Mykonos (Fri, 10/14), and a ship tour (had to use up some OBC somehow) in Santorini (Sun, 10/16).  And the Santorini tour has a wine tasting.  😁  No idea whether a cable car is involved.  Hope not.  I don't do well on that sort of transportation.  Just tried to read the description and can't get into my Carnival account.

I think you have the option of the cable car (at your expense) back down to the water shuttles.  I looked at the excursions before and that is what most of them said. You can also ride a donkey or walk down.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

If it is the Oia/Thira(Fira) with wine tour, the cable car is one of the options to get back down.  You go to Oia first, have wine than explore the town.  Then you head to Thira where you are set free to explore town and head back down to the ship at your leisure (we were given tickets to the cable car).  

On 10/3/2022 at 6:26 AM, jimbo5544 said:

After walking this morning we heard some disturbing news.  I would not pass it along if it had not been confirmed by the Captain in his noon talk.  Apparently, sometime around 10 pm the night before, a young boy drown i the pool, was pulled out CPR for a good while and brought back.  The ship spun around and headed back to Rome and was met by some faster ship where he (and family I assume) were taken off and brought to a Hospital.  Have not heard further on his status.

How heartbreaking!  Prayers for the child and his family 💔 

Praying for you and your neighbors too.  Hoping you were able to get some peace from your trip.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, jimbo5544 said:

So come join us on aboard the Pride 10/01 Greek isles cruise out of Rome.  This is going to a really different cruise and review for two significant reasons.  The first is Intrepid just is finishing up a spectacular Greek islands cruise and my home town area just got destroyed by Hurricane Ian.  We were up north and preparing for the group we were leading on the cruise. Oh…….where to begin.  The beginning is always a good place.

Hey Jimbo, my thoughts and prayers are with your hometown and all of Florida as they recover and rebuild.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, maluhia87 said:

After the cluster of last week and the lines, I'm not surprised they switched the stops around.  The 1.5 hour wait for the cable cars put a damper on that stop which otherwise was a fun day. 

We had about 10 minutes

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Hey Jimbo, my thoughts and prayers are with your hometown and all of Florida as they recover and rebuild.

Thanks, I have spent way to much time on the phone and conf calls, We fared bterr than a lot of people.  Two of my favorite towns in the world (Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel will never be the same, it breaks my heart…..back to our cruise

• Like 1

22 hours ago, maluhia87 said:

If it is the Oia/Thira(Fira) with wine tour, the cable car is one of the options to get back down.  You go to Oia first, have wine than explore the town.  Then you head to Thira where you are set free to explore town and head back down to the ship at your leisure (we were given tickets to the cable car).  

So, you're on your own to get back to the ship but the cable car tix are included.  Just no "priority" for it because you paid for a Carnival excursion.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll check the port schedules and hope there are 5 ships there that day!

Not looking good.  Odyssey of the Seas (4,819 pax) and MSC Lirica (2,371 pax). 

Hopefully, my experience will be similar to Jimbo's!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, maryann2 said:

I am so sorry to hear about the devastation in Fort Myers. You must have a heavy heart.

Thank you for continuing to post and try to enjoy the cruise and beautiful places you will visit.

Thanks!

So this place has always been on my bucket list.  The fantastic white and blue house colors built into the hill sides.  I really did not understand that there were multiple towns and originally we planned to just wing it. As we did some research we changed our mind because of the congestion and difficulty getting up and down so we booked an excursion of two towns and a wine tour as well. .  

• Like 2

As we got closer to the cruise we heard about the overcrowding when lots of ships were in port together.  I check and foe our sailing there was going to be four or five other ships (cannot remember now).  So we were concerned.  Shortly before the cruise, we got an email saying they were flip flopping Santorini and Mykonos for that reason.  It worked.