Help with Classic Soda Package

Hi

just need help with this package . I know you get the large cup you can refill at any drink station.

do you really have to carry it around with you all the time, eg to bars and restaurants? Or can you get your dissoda with out the cup? 

3 minutes ago, OzKruser said:

Hi

just need help with this package . I know you get the large cup you can refill at any drink station.

do you really have to carry it around with you all the time, eg to bars and restaurants? Or can you get your dissoda with out the cup? 

You can get it at any bar…..just show them your card…

34 minutes ago, OzKruser said:

Hi

Liberty doesnt even have  soda machine.

I often ask for a can, otherwise they just give you a glass of whatever. I want the whole can. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I often ask for a can, otherwise they just give you a glass of whatever. I want the whole can. 

Drink packages do not include canned soda. You may find an occasional bartender who may give a can, but all packages specify fountain soda or freestyle machine soda. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It's surprising to me that any of their ships lack the freestyle machines. Navigator doesn't have them either. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

It's surprising to me that any of their ships lack the freestyle machines. Navigator doesn't have them either. 

This is surprising information to me! I thought every ship had them. It was bad enough that the only Freestyle machines on Jewel are in the back of the WJ.

We will be on Navigator in a month. The Freestyle machine is the only way to get Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb. Bummer!

12 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Drink packages do not include canned soda. You may find an occasional bartender who may give a can, but all packages specify fountain soda or freestyle machine soda. 

The deluxe beverage package does include canned soda. But yes the soda package and the refreshment package does not officially include Canned Soda. 

16 hours ago, OzKruser said:

Hi

Carry you drink cup is like putting a lanyard around and walking with it in port......like a badge of honor. 

No, you don't need your cup to get a soda at any bar.  I have a collection of cups, still wrapped.  I don't think we ever carried them. 

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

This is surprising information to me! I thought every ship had them. It was bad enough that the only Freestyle machines on Jewel are in the back of the WJ.

We will be on Navigator in a month. The Freestyle machine is the only way to get Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb. Bummer!

Diet Dr. Pepper is one of my vices, and -- yes -- the Freestyle machine is the only way to BUY it onboard; however, my trusty backpack carried more cans than I ended up drinking.  For less than the cost of one day's Classic Coke Package.  

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I'm not even a soda drinker, but this was one of the reasons that I cancelled my Navigator Southern Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise and traded it for the Symphony.

It wasn't really because I couldn't use the soda machine, but it tipped the scales for making me feel like I was paying the same amount of money for a less equipped ship (the refreshment package cost the same, the dining package actually cost more even though there's less restaurants, and every day is a port day so why are either of those things even that pricey when nobody will be on the ship to use them etc).

Made me feel like the ship was neglected and old. I love the southern route though, I've done it a couple times and it's my favorite. But I wanted this trip to be a little more lazy and relaxing, spending more time on the ship. Otherwise those things wouldn't have bothered me. 

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Carry you drink cup is like putting a lanyard around and walking with it in port......like a badge of honor. 

No, you don't need your cup to get a soda at any bar.  I have a collection of cups, still wrapped.  I don't think we ever carried them. 

Not hard at all if you have one of these:

AUPET Water Bottle Bag Carrier,24oz/32oz Insulated Neoprene Bottle Sling Holder Case Pouch Cover for 1000ML/750ML Bottles with Shoulder Strap for Girls Boys Adults https://a.co/d/fO28y1i

3 minutes ago, jespere40 said:

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the soda package. How much do individual sodas usually cost on board? TIA

Information straight from the phone app:  $3.50 ... they will add 18% tip, bringing it to $4.13 . 

Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Ginger Ale -- this would have to come from a bartender, not the Coke machine.  

Remember you're allowed to carry on a limited number of soda cans or bottles.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 10/2/2022 at 10:27 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

Just got off of the Navigator and there are at least 4 freestyle machines, 2 in Windjammer and 2 on the promenade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jespere40 said:

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the soda package. How much do individual sodas usually cost on board? TIA

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Information straight from the phone app:  $3.50 ... they will add 18% tip, bringing it to $4.13 . 

Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Ginger Ale -- this would have to come from a bartender, not the Coke machine.  

Remember you're allowed to carry on a limited number of soda cans or bottles.

Basically 2 drinks and you break even on a $8.99 a day package. Or less if it's $5.99 on black Friday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Basically 2 drinks and you break even on a $8.99 a day package. Or less if it's $5.99 on black Friday.

More like 2 1/2 sodas per day to almost touch the break-even point.  They'll add the mandatory 18% tip, bringing the cost up to $10.60/day.  (Or $7.06/day, if you get that $5.99 deal.)  

The cheapest option remains buying 12-pack at home for about $5 and carrying it on.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

More like 2 1/2 sodas per day to almost touch the break-even point.  They'll add the mandatory 18% tip, bringing the cost up to $10.60/day.  (Or $7.06/day, if you get that $5.99 deal.)  

The cheapest option remains buying 12-pack at home for about $5 and 

I don't think you can compare bringing a 12 pack from home. Most folks aren't gonna run and get a can from cabin before meals etc.

As far as 2 1/2 goes. You said $3.50 = $4.13 with 18% tip. X 2 = 8.26 (which come on is almost $8.99. 2 1/2 would be $10.33 including the 18% tip. 

And let's not forget if buying individual at $3.50 your tip will probably be a full buck, bringing each to $4.50. X2 = $9.00

So 2 drinks on $8.99 package really is the break-even point.

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I don't think you can compare bringing a 12 pack from home. Most folks aren't gonna run and get a can from cabin before meals etc.

As far as 2 1/2 goes. You said $3.50 = $4.13 with 18% tip. X 2 = 8.26 (which come on is almost $8.99. 2 1/2 would be $10.33 including the 18% tip. 

And let's not forget if buying individual at $3.50 your tip will probably be a full buck, bringing each to $4.50. X2 = $9.00

So 2 drinks on $8.99 package really is the break-even point.

To be argumentative: 

- I typically drink a soda at lunch only.  Yes, I do go back to pick up a can from my room.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to save a good bit of money over the week, especially since I tend to go back to my room to clean up a little and prepare for lunch. 

- I see your math mistake:  You've included the mandatory 18% tip in the price of the drink but not in the price of the drink package, so your final number comes up skewed.

- The REAL per-day price (including tip) is 10.60 

- 2 drinks x 4.13 = 8.26 (2.34 less than the Coke package per-day price) 

- 2.5 drinks would be 10.32 (.28 less than the Coke package per-day price)

- Since you can't buy half a drink, in reality you'd need to drink three sodas per day to make this worthwhile (assuming the Coke package costs 8.99). 

Two other items that might make a difference to you in making your "To buy or not to buy" decision: 

- If you actually want the cup for later/would use it after the cruise, you'd have to figure out what it'd be worth.  To me, it's worth nothing. 

- This assumes you like the sodas they sell on board.  Personally, I pretty strongly prefer Diet Dr. Pepper, which is not sold in cans at the bars -- so I can either pay $$$ for the package or bring my own cans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative: 

- I typically drink a soda at lunch only.  Yes, I do go back to pick up a can from my room.  Doesn't seem like a big deal to save a good bit of money over the week, especially since I tend to go back to my room to clean up a little and prepare for lunch. 

- I see your math mistake:  You've included the mandatory 18% tip in the price of the drink but not in the price of the drink package, so your final number comes up skewed.

- Since you can't buy half a drink, in reality you'd need to drink three sodas per day to make this worthwhile (assuming the Coke package costs 8.99). 

Two other items that might make a difference to you in making your "To buy or not to buy" decision: 

- If you actually want the cup for later/would use it after the cruise, you'd have to figure out what it'd be worth.  To me, it's worth nothing. 

- This assumes you like the sodas they sell on board.  Personally, I pretty strongly prefer Diet Dr. Pepper, which is not sold in cans at the bars -- so I can either pay $$$ for the package or bring my own cans.

To be argumentative. The OP as well as myself did not ask you what YOU tippicaly drink. They asks if they should buy a package or buy individually and what the individual costs per drink was. What I was trying to do was to help them. What are you trying to do?

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative: 

To be argumentative. Nobody but you would go all the way back to there cabin to grab a can of soda every single time they wanted one.

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative: 

To be argumentative. Who ever cares (but you) one way or another what happens to the stupid cup when cruise is over.

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative: 

To be argumentative. Only you could actually find time out of your little life to argue 2 1/2 drinks Vs 3.

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To be argumentative: 

You got me on not adding the 18% to the $8.99 total. $10.60 per day would be the cost. However if you tack on a full buck tip like I said you are at $9.00 for 2 a day. $13.50 for 3 a day.

My problem with your answers is the OP asked a very specific question about cost of individual vs buying a package. I try  very hard to give accurate info without going into my personal preferences. You start with the line "To be argumentative" and that says let's go at it to me. If you take the math and slam on a buck tip the 2 vs 3 a day to break even goes out the door.