tips for booking a "special" cruise (like Transatlantic or a Northern Lights)

We've done seven cruises, all Caribbean or Alaska plus one Baltics. I'd really like to do a transatlantic cruise some day or a Northern Lights one that visits Iceland and Greenland.  I know you have to pounce on these quickly, but in general, how far in advance are they released? And any other tips we'd need to know?

I dont think transatlantic cruises are all that hard usually to book. I've seen some heavily discounted great deals in the past last minute. There might be some exceptions but there are some great deals. 

Northern lights or something unusual is much harder to book and sells out. 

Don't book a Northern Lights cruise specifically to see them.  Saw them on 2017 Vision TA, did not see them on 2022 Voyager TA (although some did seem them).  And don't book for the ports, since they are subject to change.  

"Arctic Crossing" (usually CPH to BOS) prices escalate quickly, but "regular" transatlantic pricing is usually pretty level.  Of course, suites sell out quickly. Regardless, book early as you can price adjust prior to final payment date.

My transatlantic sailings:

Star Princess 14 nights FLL to CPH - May 2015

Azamara Journey 10 nights (non-stop) LIS to SJU - Oct 2011

Celebrity Constellation 15 nights SOU to MIA - Nov 2012

RCCL Quantum 8 nights (non-stop) SOU to Cape Liberty, NJ - Nov 2014

RCCL Anthem 8 nights (non-stop) SOU to Cape Liberty, NJ - Oct 2015

RCCL Vision 16 nights (Arctic Crossing) CPH to Cape Liberty, NJ - Aug 2017

RCCL Anthem 11 nights Cape Liberty, NJ to SOU - May 2022

RCCL Voyager 14 nights (Arctic Crossing) CPH to BOS - Sept 2022

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

I know you have to pounce on these quickly, but in general, how far in advance are they released?

Follow the 2024-2025 deployment thread for new itineraries - assume some Radiance class ship will do one in late summer 2024.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

2024 would be the timeframe and we love the Radiance class.  Thanks. 

Radiance class has typically done the Arctic Crossing, but this year it was Voyager.

Other transatlantics occur spring/fall on almost all classes.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

Personally, I consider every vacation special.  I've had plenty where the one thing I was really hoping for didn't come off for one reason or another.  I've had plenty the other way too.  You just never know when you can't control the variables.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

We've done seven cruises, all Caribbean or Alaska plus one Baltics. I'd really like to do a transatlantic cruise some day or a Northern Lights one that visits Iceland and Greenland.  I know you have to pounce on these quickly, but in general, how far in advance are they released? And any other tips we'd need to know?

Transatlantics actually tend to sell slowly because of the length of the cruise and a lot of sea days. They usually have pretty good pricing too. No need to rush on booking a transatlantic IMO. 

Iceland and Greenland may be very different. The fares seem to be higher so  may have to book earlier.

Edited by nferr

The arctic crossing is usually once a year and very popular. I had the one for 2023 on the Serenade ending in Boston booked and then Royal went and cancelled it. Looks like they aren’t doing one in 2023 that ends in Boston.  Celebrity had something similar where they had one sailing from Bayonne to Iceland and then Iceland to Boston, but the pricing was really high when I looked at it. There are some good deals on transatlantics, but the suites and the most desirable cabins don’t last long. If you’re looking for something special watch the deployment threads here and jump on it as soon as it comes out. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

We take two TA's every year on our way to and from our second home in Thailand. We book over a year in advance to get our cabin, but not necessary. If a price drop, we cancel and rebook or they reduce the fare, We have changed  ships before and booked within 90 days for a great price and normally something is available. I love Sea Days, so you should too, but the DW doesn't, but I ask her if she wants a 30 hour flight instead and she loves Seas Days, too!

• Like 1

We ended up on the Voyager last month for their Artic Crossing, via several Lift and Shifts from previous cruises, so we cannot say how fast they sell out. What I can say is that this particular cruise was loaded with Pinnacles and Diamond Plus passengers and was said to be 'special' whatever that means.

Unlike my fellow cruiser was also on this ship, we were out most nights when it was clear enough to see something and we had the good fortune of seeing the Northern Lights on 4 separate occasions.

This as our 5th TA and we have 2 more booked for 2023. Love those sea days

Cheers

Len 

There is a cruise company called Hurtigruten that operates cruises along the Norwegian coast in winter time.  If you want to see the Northern lights while on a cruise, that is what I would recommend. 

Seeing the northern lights on an Artic Transatlantic is April or October is likely to disappoint if the reason to book is to see the northern lights.  

Or you could just fly to Norway and go to the northern part and spend 1-2 nights, you will see the northern lights.  

Good luck.

jc