So what is going on if you get covid on the ship?

KyleClark

We took several self tests with us on our seashore cruise. Our plan was to self test in the event that we started feeling ill. Fortunately we didn’t need the tests. But in the event that we were Covid positive, our plan was to self isolate in our cabin. We had no intention of being tested by the ship’s doctor. I guess that’s a personal call for each individual. My understanding is that if you test positive through official channels, you are required to isolate within your cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a cruise in May my DW was not feeling great on the 7th day, so we did a self test which was positive for her and mine was negative. Gave her a second one and also positive, so we notified medical. They came up and did rapid PCR tests on both of us and got the same result. So they said they would move her to quarantine deck and said I could stay or go with her. DW insisted she go alone. She was moved by 2 crew in full hazmat suites through the crew corridors. The first crew member clearing the way and  the second crew member carrying a fogging machine behind her. She said it was surreal between the hazmat suits and other crew members jumping behind doors while they passed. She was lucky enough to get a veranda cabin in quarantine. All meals were dropped off at her door, always using disposable plates and cutlery. Since we had Wifi, we were able to FaceTime together, but I think that if we did not have Wifi as part of our package, they would have provided it for free. They also offered to allow her to make calls back to the US, but she did not feel she needed to do that. At the end of the cruise she was taken out through a special gangway where I met her.  We were driven to our car in the parking garage in an SUV by a driver in scrubs.

I was given a rapid PCR test each day (5) for the rest of the cruise. Had to stay in cabin until results came back each morning. Some mornings it took quite a while for them to get the results back to me, but I would order breakfast and sit out on the balcony while waiting for them. It did mean no more excursions because I was never assured the results would be back in time. They asked me to only eat in my cabin, but otherwise I could go wherever I wanted on the ship or off except for the Spa. I would have preferred to eat in restaurants, especially since we were in a Suite and it was the only time we have ever had one. The food was still great and served hot on china with the same silverware and glasses they use in the restaurants. I did use a mask from that point on for the rest of the cruise except when I was outside and away from others. 

DW still tested positive on the morning we disembarked and several days at home. Despite driving 10 hours together, I never did test positive on the ship or at home. They did reimburse us for cancelled excursions and my wife got a refund for the days she was in quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Mike-Cruisin said:

On a cruise in May my DW was not feeling great on the 7th day, so we did a self test which was positive for her and mine was negative. Gave her a second one and also positive, so we notified medical. They came up and did rapid PCR tests on both of us and got the same result. So they said they would move her to quarantine deck and said I could stay or go with her. DW insisted she go alone. She was moved by 2 crew in full hazmat suites through the crew corridors. The first crew member clearing the way and  the second crew member carrying a fogging machine behind her. She said it was surreal between the hazmat suits and other crew members jumping behind doors while they passed. She was lucky enough to get a veranda cabin in quarantine. All meals were dropped off at her door, always using disposable plates and cutlery. Since we had Wifi, we were able to FaceTime together, but I think that if we did not have Wifi as part of our package, they would have provided it for free. They also offered to allow her to make calls back to the US, but she did not feel she needed to do that. At the end of the cruise she was taken out through a special gangway where I met her.  We were driven to our car in the parking garage in an SUV by a driver in scrubs.

I was given a rapid PCR test each day (5) for the rest of the cruise. Had to stay in cabin until results came back each morning. Some mornings it took quite a while for them to get the results back to me, but I would order breakfast and sit out on the balcony while waiting for them. It did mean no more excursions because I was never assured the results would be back in time. They asked me to only eat in my cabin, but otherwise I could go wherever I wanted on the ship or off except for the Spa. I would have preferred to eat in restaurants, especially since we were in a Suite and it was the only time we have ever had one. The food was still great and served hot on china with the same silverware and glasses they use in the restaurants. I did use a mask from that point on for the rest of the cruise except when I was outside and away from others. 

DW still tested positive on the morning we disembarked and several days at home. Despite driving 10 hours together, I never did test positive on the ship or at home. They did reimburse us for cancelled excursions and my wife got a refund for the days she was in quarantine. 

May I ask how long ago this was?  Just wondering how their protocols have evolved since your experience.