LIVE! Oosterdam 12-Day Greek Odyssey

*Miss G*

Thank you, @LSEA, @PACD_JG, @Loreto, @albingirl, @puppycanducruise, @worldtraveller99, @bennybear!  I am so glad you enjoyed the trip report.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, oaktreerb said:

Medical guidelines recommend one alcoholic drink for women and two for men per day!  

Is it okay for me to claim to be male whilst on vacation?  😂

On 10/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you - we are looking forward to our Rhine cruise too! Did you have to wear a mask on the river ship? Or anywhere else on the Rhine?

No masks on the river ship for both passengers and crew.  No masks anywhere else on the Rhine.  I saw no evidence of Covid, unlike the cruise in March where there were obvious signs (terrible coughs and mandatory masks).  Enjoy your upcoming cruise!!

On 10/23/2022 at 11:44 PM, Loreto said:

I enjoyed your live from, *MissG* it brought back a lot of memories of the Greek Isles. Oct. 2021 we were on the Avalon Imagery II Rhine Moselle for 13 days…fantastic cruise! Only 24 passengers due to COVID.

Oh wow.  13 days with only 24 passengers!  That must have been fantastic indeed.  We only had 52 passengers but I suspect that was because it was a short cruise with one day (well, a few hours) in dry dock.  I was super impressed with how well they looked after us and their attention to detail.  I can’t wait to travel with them again.

• Like 2

DAY 25 - VENICE

Sunday, Oct 23rd

Today we took the bus into Venice.  Unfortunately, not only was it Sunday, but today was the day of the Venice Marathon.  The bus was a jam-packed nightmare but we persevered.

Water taxis and gondolas were available right by the main bus terminal.

F472311B-5905-4DD0-92B5-F9B18D9091F2.thumb.jpeg.60dd3823b985b12c32212a8396ea7b84.jpeg

F8E22C2A-FE68-4F08-A2B4-675C0B73C1C6.thumb.jpeg.d118b9961d964479c4dc3e3c5cdbf2d1.jpeg

16267118-7F8D-48DC-B084-E194DF495041.thumb.jpeg.52626e1a3269d4ddc91eb14cbd11c6cd.jpeg

We wandered the back streets, careful to note the location of our turns so we could find our way back to the bus terminal.  It would be so easy to get lost if you don’t.  We stopped at a local cafe for a bite before heading back to the hotel.

21738772-19A2-48EB-8914-8E3405BEE23B.thumb.jpeg.623a9730dad7923843b81fab9074e34a.jpeg

4F287992-C033-4F57-BB54-F15A461921CE.thumb.jpeg.702c24a17f947e8cd5f33b8ab3fbbaad.jpeg

2D372932-4F5A-4F5F-8D86-61233C02B44E.thumb.jpeg.6a7ba3988a9f96d08ad0d5449992619f.jpeg

6D761285-0662-4448-9B29-C9ACB18DD903.thumb.jpeg.61fe4e7403bca5fad5c7ff8a7b1bdfc9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DAY 26 - VENICE, PARIS, & HOME

Monday, Oct 24th

See this red-handled cord attached to a black box at the top of the hotel shower?  I pulled it a number of times, in succession, thinking it would turn on the fan that you find in most North American bathrooms, but nothing happened.

Well, it turns out it’s not for the fan but is an emergency cord connected to an alarm at the front desk.

Don’t pull it unless you need emergency assistance.  😳

2E264941-E423-4737-A66E-F2DF477DA9C3.thumb.jpeg.5cc7d50c96aa5d8858fcbfff49ae63cc.jpeg

We are up early to catch the 6:30am hotel shuttle to the airport.  Marco Polo Airport is lovely and quiet at this hour, but it soon starts to fill with people.

My sister’s check-in counter opens up three hours prior to her flight to London.  I have an extra hour to wait as I am flying to Paris so it opens two hours in advance.

I ask at check-in whether any Business Class seats are available for the second segment.  There are two but neither are by the window, which I have a preference for.  I thank the agent and decline the upgrade.

I gain a false sense of security on the two hour flight from Venice to Paris.  The plane is new, clean, and very comfortable.  I am feeling better about my 8.5 hour flight to Washington, DC.

Boy, was I in for a shock.  Never again will I fly long-haul economy on Air France.  It is a miserable experience.  I got a look at the compartment seat I could have been in and kicked myself all the way home.  But I survived and was happy to see my husband’s smiling face as I emerged into the terminal at IAD.  It’s good to be home.

Final Random Stats

Airline Count (5): Delta Republic, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Vueling, Air France

Airport Count (10):  IAD, JFK, MAN, MAN, FRA, AMS, FCO, VCE, CDG, IAD

Country Count (9):  US, UK, DE, NL, IT, TR, ME, FR, US

Time Travel (5):  -5, -1, -1, +1, +6

Final airline rating, from best to worst, in terms of seat comfort, are Delta, Lufthansa, Vueling, Air France, Virgin.  It was a close race to last place for Air France and Virgin, but Air France pulled ahead by a very slim margin due to the better seat recline.  Lesson here is I will never fly long-haul economy again.  Unless I lose my mind.

Thanks for following along, everyone!  It’s been quite an adventure.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Final airline rating, from best to worst, in terms of seat comfort, are Delta, Lufthansa, Vueling, Air France, Virgin.  It was a close race to last place for Air France and Virgin, but Air France pulled ahead by a very slim margin due to the better seat recline.  Lesson here is I will never fly long-haul economy again.  Unless I lose my mind.

I was just thinking.  In all fairness, I should rate the airlines in separated short-haul and long-haul categories as they had a very different product in the smaller jets.

Overall short-haul winners, best to worst in Economy, are:

1st - Air France

2nd - Delta Republic

3rd - Lufthansa

4th - Vueling

Overall long-hauls, best to worst in Economy, are:

1st - Air France

2nd - Virgin Atlantic

There is no comfortable seating in either of the long-haul flights but if you are going to be trapped in an Economy seat on either of the above airlines then Air France wins by a mile in the airline food category.  I was quite impressed.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Really enjoyed both your recent reviews and thank you for sharing your journey and thoughts! You and your sister seem similar to my traveling friend and I; positive thinkers and mellow. Enjoy the moments and the views. Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beccawes7471 said:

Really enjoyed both your recent reviews and thank you for sharing your journey and thoughts! You and your sister seem similar to my traveling friend and I; positive thinkers and mellow. Enjoy the moments and the views. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your very kind comments!  I am very glad you enjoyed the reviews.  I’m thinking you are referring to the Norway cruise I am currently reporting on?  I still have some updating to do on that one but I am nearing the end!