LIVE! Oosterdam 12-Day Greek Odyssey

*Miss G*

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you!  Yes, these are my observations of Vueling:

- As you say, the seats don’t recline but I found them more comfortable than Virgin.  I found them quite comfortable for the 2.5 hour flight from AMS to FCO, and could have gone longer if I had to.

- The arm rest is actually an elbow rest because they end halfway.  🤷‍♀️

- As you say, everything is à la carte.  Not even a plastic cup of water!

- Soft music was played overhead throughout the flight, but with the noise from the engines you couldn’t really hear it.

- Fares vary to include cabin baggage (one bag, one personal item) or to not include cabin baggage (one personal item only).  The benefit to this was there was lots of overhead storage space.

- The flight left on time.

We flew British Airways the last time we flew to Itally in 2019. They are also owned by the same parent company (IAG) as Vueling. The same situation with everything a la carte on the Inter-European flights, although the flight attendant when questioned did offer a glass of tap water. What did disturb me on that trip was the fact that we flew BA's World Traveler Plus (Premium Economy) and on the return flight they had run out of the second choice of meals. Oh well - until I spotted the one male flight attendant for our section eating two of the meals that they had allegedly run out of!

I know, would you like a little w(h)ine with that complaint?  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AV8rix said:

I really appreciate your comment.  I'm about to do my first Delta Business Class this week. Usually just do Delta First Class for domestic. I was really concerned 'cause it's a long flight from SeaTac to Schipol.  Your post gives me hope.

I wish I could have flown Delta Business across the pond!  I really like their product.  Have a great cruise, @AV8rix!  Can’t wait to hear all about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

We flew British Airways the last time we flew to Itally in 2019. They are also owned by the same parent company (IAG) as Vueling. The same situation with everything a la carte on the Inter-European flights, although the flight attendant when questioned did offer a glass of tap water. What did disturb me on that trip was the fact that we flew BA's World Traveler Plus (Premium Economy) and on the return flight they had run out of the second choice of meals. Oh well - until I spotted the one male flight attendant for our section eating two of the meals that they had allegedly run out of!

I know, would you like a little w(h)ine with that complaint?  😁

BA is the only airline to lose my luggage.  BCN-LHR.  They kept telling me the delivery person had it and would bring it to my hotel within the next two hours.  I was heading to a fancy shmancy restaurant for a significant birthday with my kids and my husband.  Had to go in my just-got-off-a-cruise-and-now-I’m-going-on-a-flight outfit avec flip flops and sans makeup.  The restaurant very kindly let me in after explaining the situation.

Three days later (and numerous calls) I told them I was heading to Yorkshire and here is the address where they could now send it.  It arrived within the hour.  😡

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AV8rix said:

I really appreciate your comment.  I'm about to do my first Delta Business Class this week. Usually just do Delta First Class for domestic. I was really concerned 'cause it's a long flight from SeaTac to Schipol.  Your post gives me hope.

We flew Delta One...business from Salt Lake City to AMS last year and it was a very comfortable flight...actualy slept!  You get the KLM lounge if you have a layover...enjoy it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Breakfast in this area is either bread or pastry/muffins/donuts.  Since I am not fussed on those items I have taken to having coffee for breakfast.  So, technically, red snapper and wine was for breakfast.  🙃

3E271AD5-6CA0-4C8C-87DE-283DC0C18191.thumb.jpeg.358e1eb7cd303af46e2acf610ce51faa.jpeg

My sister thought she was requesting a glass of wine each.  The server understood that to mean a bottle of wine each.  😂  In the olden days they used to just put the bottle of wine on the table and charge you for the amount you consumed.  Apparently you must now consume the whole bottle so we drank some with our meal and brought the rest back to the flat.

One more sleep until we board the Oosterdam!  I am finishing up the laundry and will have everything repacked this evening so I can have a stress-free morning.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Enjoying tagging along.  If you have time take the local bus to Tarquinia.  The museum is truly amazing.  I think you catch the bus by the church.  It’s only about half an hour away.  

Oh shoot.  It’s after 6:00pm here so it’s too late to go!  I shall put that on the agenda for the next visit.  Thank you!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

A nice snack for one?  🤣

Enjoy.

I have been Greek salading my way through the islands.  My sister orders something different each time. Yesterday’s salad underneath the Acropolis was about as perfect as you can get. Pictures soon!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hello Miss G-  I am so glad you are well and busy enjoying your cruise!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Oosterdam as I will be boarding her on the 5th.

Quick question, is there a problem with the internet on the ship?  My family has ask me to briefly check in daily with an email.  If the internet is not reliable, I want to tell them ahead of time so that they don't worry.  TYIA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Hello Miss G-  I am so glad you are well and busy enjoying your cruise!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Oosterdam as I will be boarding her on the 5th.

Quick question, is there a problem with the internet on the ship?  My family has ask me to briefly check in daily with an email.  If the internet is not reliable, I want to tell them ahead of time so that they don't worry.  TYIA

No problem with the internet whatsoever!  It is just me who anticipated using the free WiFi in port to keep the thread updated, but you see how well that went.  😂  I have now purchased internet for the remainder of the cruise and it’s working perfectly.  👍

The Oosterdam is doing really well for her age.  All the public areas look great and even during a crazy storm in Crete, the day before yesterday, there was very little leakage for what we went through.  Crazy pictures to come!

We are in a Verandah room and, although dated, it is still quite nice.  Would prefer a Pinnacle-class bathroom but everything is functional so we are happy.  We will take good care of it for you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

DAY 13 - CIVITAVECCHIA 

Monday, Oct 10th

Following morning coffee (aka breakfast) I went for another walk and found a huge open air market with lots of clothing, luggage, etc, as well as meats, cheeses, baked goods, butchers, and lots of fruit, veg, and flowers.  Figures I would find this on the day we are leaving.  I was laughing because my sister and I had walked the entire perimeter of this market and had never ventured the few steps in to actually see it.  So, if you find your way to “Bar Smile”, you have found the market.  I would tell you streets but none of them have names on them. 

Flat cleaned, everything packed, and we are out the door and on our walk to the shuttle.  Italian sidewalks aren’t really conducive for pulling luggage but, to be fair, they aren’t really suited for pedestrians either.  At the free port shuttle entrance you show your boarding pass and then follow the arrows with the name of your ship.  Everyone is very kind and welcoming.

Thank you, Civitavecchia, for not raining on us during our trek to the shuttle.  It’s hard to tell in the pic but it is pouring down out there.

A quick shuttle ride to the pier and we can see our ship!  This is our first time on the Oosterdam, although we have been on her sister ships, the Zuiderdam, Noordam, and Westerdam.

Check-in is quick and smooth and we are onboard by noon.  Whoa.  Our verandah room is much smaller than the accommodations onboard the Avalon Imagery II and the Pinnacle-class ships.  Also dingier.  But the staff are warm and welcoming and things are as clean as you can get them given the ship’s age (2003).  Thankfully they have updated to Interactive TV’s because I love to catch a movie at bedtime.

The dining room is closed (what?!) so we head to the Lido.  Luckily for us it is not a madhouse.  I get my “breakfast” then we head back to the room to unpack.

And now it’s off to check in to our Muster Station!  There was a 3*/4*/5* Mariner reception but we missed it.

Civitavecchia Port from our verandah.

30EE0948-C6E3-445F-877E-94D5B08D74BD.thumb.jpeg.df029dd6acc05a0208a0395a324b06eb.jpeg

The sun sets as we depart.

39B641E3-118E-4128-987B-C7933029092B.thumb.jpeg.3f4db84bd93a729128ea7ee9aaa9b8a5.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

DAY 14 - NAPOLI

Tuesday, Oct 11th

Sunrise in Naples.

D68B73D5-0E58-4DC7-A64C-2CD27966ABB6.thumb.jpeg.e64043a11ccb05dfd8dc91bcbaccaff9.jpeg

D93DAEE2-3545-49DE-99F6-79F8B854D7E6.thumb.jpeg.303db82ff726989830a41ad63f5a2c5e.jpeg

Last night we shared a table with four others.  Two were a couple and the other two are best friends.  We had a fun evening.  

We purchased Cellar #2 - 4 bottles at dinner.  I drink red and my sister drinks white so that gives us two bottles of each for the cruise.  It’s not great wine, but it’s drinkable.  We check the statement when we get back to our room as accounting does not seem to be HAL’s strong point.  Drats.  We’ve got to get it fixed.

My sister starts her day at Guest Services to request the Mariner Discount be applied while I wander off to take pictures.  This pic was taken through the Crow’s Nest window because we no longer have access to the Skydeck.

E8C366EC-C49D-44D3-B187-7AA33105118F.thumb.jpeg.e4b7bd821d8e50a17aa675e70b763a4b.jpeg

I hope they are not going the way of Princess.  🙁

81EC0A1F-86DF-4A72-9DC5-DDF2D2BA5AC7.thumb.jpeg.481232a42b2bb9f50555035bf1fb4f37.jpeg

I have brought along this nifty travel ozone air purifier.  It fits perfectly in the bathroom shaver outlet and works great!

D3BB2689-13FB-4CE6-9D8A-6D324403BAAF.thumb.jpeg.e1d042ca9a8d3d92d9a8ce74b1246a01.jpeg

Later that day we check our statement.  They have removed the 4-bottle wine cellar charge, replaced it with two signature beverage package charges, and added a $50 mystery charge from a fantasy purchase in the main dining room.  It’s back to Guest Services for us, where they promptly remove all the erroneous charges and proudly present the new statement with another 4 bottles of fantasy wine added in.  *Le sigh*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

There is nothing we need to see in or around Napoli (been here on land and sea trips before) so we have a quiet morning then a walk into town for a pharmacy purchase.  That went nowhere because I have an obvious need to learn Italian if I am going to visit here.  Oh well. 

The Port of Napoli has a huge terminal.  Here is the only sign you will see.  Find your own way out.  We’re just here to confuse you.

326E67BC-BB9A-4AB6-9C33-76AF830BD42F.thumb.jpeg.c2a39e914ccd77f368c19076c624b59a.jpeg

Back on board, I chat with a lady who tells me her friends have just been isolated with Covid.  I walk down the hall and get an eyeful of aerosol bleach.  There is a couple walking ahead of me on Starboard Deck 5,  followed by a steward with a clothes trolley and a crew member spritzing disinfectant behind them.  I back off because disinfectant burns your eyeballs.  I also don’t want Covid.

Those darn monitors are still blocking the view in the Crow’s Nest.  Only they’ve added a couple of charts to distract you from the fact that you can’t see out.  Maybe they could hang some lace curtains or something equally annoying on the rest of the windows to complete the look. 

FF434CD9-D0FC-42BE-8A07-F6E559D9D6F2.thumb.jpeg.3b4e12214c31cedab778dda638ce147a.jpeg

Costa is in port with us today.

ED8406A7-EB5B-4ABA-B65A-B1028F393DCB.thumb.jpeg.1a8605bcfda310a8ed23889f32868612.jpeg

The outlets above the desk in the room.  The two USB ports come in handy but there are none by my bed.  My sister has a USB port over by her bed, though.

321DC879-CF07-4B96-81AE-E1209C135B92.thumb.jpeg.de3910688d32abaa4fa7f935b8f090cf.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

DAY 15 - AT SEA

Wednesday, Oct 12th

Early this morning the clocks went forward an hour which means I travelled back in time another hour.  I am now 7 hours younger than I was when I began this journey.  Time travel doesn’t make you feel younger, though.  Quite the opposite, really.

We have a jam-packed day at sea.  The port talk is at 9:00am, a lesson on how to make Snert at 10:00am, Ask the Captain at 11:00am, lunch in the Pinnacle Grill at 12:45pm, Line Dancing at 2:00pm… need I go on?  Big Gala Night too.  Or, rather, “dressy” night.  Good thing they’ve changed it to dressy because I have been traveling light due to all the luggage lugging we’ve been doing. 

I attend “Ask the Captain” while my sister attends a talk on “The World’s Most Notorious Art Heists”.  Captain Kevin is hilarious.  He is the youngest Captain in the fleet and is questioned about his lack of time at sea a lot.  He shows us a picture of himself, as a lad, in a plastic boat and says, as we can see, he has been at sea since he was 5 years old.

Captain Kevin was a Cadet in Scotland in January when it is very very cold and the seas are very very stormy.  This is the one and only time he was seasick but he warmed up when the guy beside him was seasick also.  He  still carries that guy’s DNA in his ear.  😂

A man asks how much water costs to make.  For instance, a gallon of water on land may cost $1.00 but he was told by an officer that it costs nothing to make it on the ship.  But there are signs in the bathrooms telling us to conserve it so he is wondering what makes it so precious if it’s free.

3162968C-6076-4609-BD51-A518274D7911.thumb.jpeg.0bd26d9bb9533cc5b288bf02767b2930.jpeg

After a brief description of how the ship converts sea water to fresh, the Captain tells him that grey water and solids are separated during the filtration process.  Should something go wrong with the systems which make our drinking water, they can still make water with the liquids from our bodies.  So, in that respect, water is precious because we have made it ourselves.  🤣

Informationally, a ship’s lifespan is 25 years, after which they are sold or a decision is made to keep it in service.

If Captain Kevin Beirnaert is Captain of your ship, I urge you to attend.  You won’t regret it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5