text help

tbmrt

I will be doing a short MSC cruise to Bahamas from US.  Don't think I need wifi plan, but would like to be able to text.  I have Spectrum Mobile and they say texts are free, but I've been reading things on MSC and they say you cannot text without a wifi connection.  (no wifi service on our 1 stop - Ocean Cay, Bahamas).  

If I can text free can I keep my phone in airplane mode?

On 10/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, Mary229 said:

You cannot text at sea without WiFi.

I don't believe that to be true, as we have tried texting (i.e. sms) from the ship with wifi and internet connection.  The message does not seem to be sent until we actually connect to a mobile network.

WhatsApp works ok tho.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't believe that to be true, as we have tried texting (i.e. sms) from the ship with wifi and internet connection.  The message does not seem to be sent until we actually connect to a mobile network.

WhatsApp works ok tho.

Apple users can text apple to apple with WiFi.  I don’t know if that works for other phones.  We can also FaceTime phone call without cellular service.  

If you are trying to text to someone ashore, you will use the ship's data tower for text messages, and as has been noted, it is an add on charge.  A few texts won't cost you all that much, but there will be additional fees.