Declaring medication at Miami airport

Techno123

As we fly into Miami for our Caribbean cruise and is it is some time since I last visited the USA can I please check the 'rules' re bringing medication into the USA (this airport in particular). I might be overthinking this but I don't want to get on the wrong side of the border force.

We both have some prescribed medication (hubby asthma inhalers and myself some antihistamines and a blood pressure tablet) so I assume original box and prescription will cover those.

my query is more about the over the counter stuff I don't cruise without as in the UK we have a lot of the generic medication rather than the original named stuff (saves the NHS a fortune 😁)

Paracetamol (pain killer)

Ibuprofen (non steroidal anti inflammatory so muscle/joint pain)

Loperamide Hydrochloride (Imodium)

Cinnarizine (Stugeron) travel sickness

Chlorphenamine (Piriton) antihistamine

Hyosine (Kwells) travel sickness

A veritable pharmacy 😜

are any of these 'banned' substances? On other forums it suggests keeping receipt and keep in original box and finally do I have to go and physically declare them to someone or are we asked?
many thanks in advance for your advice.

I think you're overthinking it ... (a lot) !

As a Canadian, we also travel with a similar pharmacy and like the UK, brand names may be different!

From what I can see, the only drug not available in Canada or the States is Stugeron - I mean, if a customs officer was interested enough to open up your bag, find it and look it up, he would (probably) have the right to confiscate it but that's a real stretch!  Original packaging or blister packs are more than enough!

Problems could occur with people (like me!) who will just take the trip's worth of Vitamin D's, Ca and other supplements and put them into unlabelled medicine bottles - now that looks suspicious!  In all my hundreds of trips to the States, they've never been concerned. Their main "everyday" contraband that they're very concerned about remains food products ....

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 2

I have never had any problems yet even though I now make up separate bags for each day AM and PM due to the number and size of the medicine bottles.  The only problem we ever had was over ten years ago when my wife found that her pain medicine bottle was open with most of the pills gone after going through a security check point where they hand checked her purse and we did not discover this until hours after the checkpoint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I think you're overthinking it ... (a lot) !

I know 😂😂 but it is so long since we were last there and in those days (before ESTAs) I just used to roll in.  As all our holidays for the last many years have been short haul I tend not to worry and apart from being told off at the Spanish airports for no longer belonging to the EU they don't seem to worry either.

I would just like the chance to relax in the very nice hotel we have been allocated rather than be in a small room with a scary border force officer 😱😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

I know 😂😂 but it is so long since we were last there and in those days (before ESTAs) I just used to roll in.  As all our holidays for the last many years have been short haul I tend not to worry and apart from being told off at the Spanish airports for no longer belonging to the EU they don't seem to worry either.

I would just like the chance to relax in the very nice hotel we have been allocated rather than be in a small room with a scary border force officer 😱😂

We were flying to the States about 5 or 6 years ago and took a sandwich and snacks (I know, cheap but what can I say?)(It was actually because the Buy-on-Board on Air Canada was truly wretched).

The agent asked what was in the brown paper bag? I cheerfully admitted to a sandwich and a bag of chips (crisps)...

The response was Biblical ....

We WERE marched into The Small Room, had both of our bags have their locks cut off (I was so shocked that I couldn't find the keys!)(switched to combination locks immediately thereafter...) and were very seriously threatened in numerous ways with the punishments, fines and lack of entry into The United States that we would face!

He then turned on a dime and wished us a good flight!

We gathered our belongings, staggered onto the plane, purchased our stale Otter's Nose and Pickle wrap and sat shaking until the 5th purchased cocktail!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

The response was Biblical ....

We gathered our belongings, staggered onto the plane, purchased our stale Otter's Nose and Pickle wrap and sat shaking until the 5th purchased cocktail!

Oh my goodness that is horrifying😱 and definitely something I want to avoid

Not cheap at all as I prefer my home made sandwich to those that can be bought onboard 😁

6 hours ago, Scout16 said:

I have never had any problems yet even though I now make up separate bags for each day AM and PM due to the number and size of the medicine bottles.  The only problem we ever had was over ten years ago when my wife found that her pain medicine bottle was open with most of the pills gone after going through a security check point where they hand checked her purse and we did not discover this until hours after the checkpoint.

usually, they have you watch when the search your bag and DW does the pill packs but keeps a picture of her prescription bottles on her phone in case they ask.

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Like 1

When we travel we have an official print out from the Mayo Clinic with the list of our prescriptions. We also carry the Rx bottles.

We just pack the over the counter stuff in a zip lock storage bag. Never have had any issues going thru any security lines anywhere .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

When we travel we have an official print out from the Mayo Clinic with the list of our prescriptions. We also carry the Rx bottles.

We just pack the over the counter stuff in a zip lock storage bag. Never have had any issues going thru any security lines anywhere .

Sounds very similar to what I do. I’ve never been stopped or hassled, but you never can be too careful when traveling internationally.

• Like 1

You should have no issues with those on the list. 

Have been traveling for 50 years and medicines are generally not really issues unless they are narcotics.

What is an issue are the little old Polish ladies bringing Kielbasa back from their trip.  Or someone with an Orange or apple from their flight.  No fruits, vegetables, meats, plants seeds.  And of course never mention you live or work on a farm.

• Like 4

We have never had any issues with medications in their original containers.  And all the meds on your list are fine.  I am a physician and travel with a mini-pharmacy as well.  I wouldn't dump a whole bunch of pills into an unlabeled baggy or bottle--though they would probably not even notice it, but better safe than sorry.  Just don't bring any meat or cheese.  (and my rancher husband just denies having been anywhere near a ranch)

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, PaulMCO said:

You should have no issues with those on the list. 

Have been traveling for 50 years and medicines are generally not really issues unless they are narcotics.

What is an issue are the little old Polish ladies bringing Kielbasa back from their trip.  Or someone with an Orange or apple from their flight.  No fruits, vegetables, meats, plants seeds.  And of course never mention you live or work on a farm.

I lived in Scotland for a few years and spent quality time on farms while I was there. I always marked it on my customs form, and only once, they asked if I cleaned by boots before coming home.

• Haha 2