Using miles to upgrade NCL Air

Lvntrvl

We are traveling from Phoenix to Dubai using the NCL BOGO Airfare promotion. We just received our itinerary which we are very happy with. The outbound flight is in 3 segments with the first leg on AA (American Airlines) and the last 2 legs on BA (British Airways). We were hoping to use miles from our AA account to upgrade the entire one way flight, but have been informed that we are unable to do so since each airline has a different confirmation code. Has anyone experienced this and found a workaround?

5 minutes ago, Lvntrvl said:

We are traveling from Phoenix to Dubai using the NCL BOGO Airfare promotion. We just received our itinerary which we are very happy with. The outbound flight is in 3 segments with the first leg on AA (American Airlines) and the last 2 legs on BA (British Airways). We were hoping to use miles from our AA account to upgrade the entire one way flight, but have been informed that we are unable to do so since each airline has a different confirmation code. Has anyone experienced this and found a workaround?

Call American. They codeshare with BA. Normally, NCL air gets assigned close to cruise (versus a year in advance) and the likelihood of upgrade inventory is zero. 

I would check the website or app for your flight and see what seats are available (the Delta app actually shows you the number of miles needed to upgrade but not sure about American). My friend upgraded his NCL flight using miles from LAX to LHR on United a few days before his flight so it is possible. Good Luck!

Login to the website and try.  We just flew bogo air and signed into Delta, put in record locator got C+ free within 24 hours on first flight then free first close to trip.  Second leg to LHR C+ sold out but paid small fee to get into Premium. Some of that due to Delta status.

42 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Login to the website and try.  We just flew bogo air and signed into Delta, put in record locator got C+ free within 24 hours on first flight then free first close to trip.  

Only because you're a SkyMiles Medallion...much different than using miles in advance to upgrade.

Upgrades depend on the airline.  Delta seems to allow it, most others do not, although that may depend on your status with the airline. Nor will they usually allow you to use points to pay for seat selection.

I have been given the opportunity to bid on an upgrade a few times, same as bidding on a cabin on NCL.

I have upgrade seats on Delta, United and Air Canada. I added the reservation to my account with the airlines and was able to upgrade seats on the flights no problem. They will not let you change the flights but seat selection and upgrades were no different than any other booking.

Edited by Reese15233

2 hours ago, Reese15233 said:

I have upgrade seats on Delta, United and Air Canada. I added the reservation to my account with the airlines and was able to upgrade seats on the flights no problem. They will not let you change the flights but seat selection and upgrades were no different than any other booking.

With most airlines you can upgrade seats within economy - but you can't upgrade to a better class.

19 hours ago, julig22 said:

With most airlines you can upgrade seats within economy - but you can't upgrade to a better class.

I'm trying to remember if it was even an option when I upgraded and maybe before covid but I'm generally not looking to spend first class money to upgrade so I really don't recall. I'll assume your right, which is useful information for those who would be looking to significantly improve their seats.  Personally if I were going to spend that kind of money I probably wouldn't be using the air deal anyway.  We were booked for premium economy on Air Canada and our group was able to reserve half of that small section returning from Dubai last year, which was great on a long overnight flight. I won't expect it again but it was nice given several other Norwegian passengers from our cruise were way in the back.