Can I make a 11:20 flight in FLL?

rjack22

Our ship is "supposed" to get in at 7:00 am.   Our flight is at 11:20.   We plan on doing self disembarkation at the earliest we can and grabbing a taxi.  This would be on a Saturday, March 4 and there are 6 ships in that morning.

I am worried that there will be too many people (with 6 ships) and that the security line will be long.  Or will we beat most of the crowd?   Do you think we can make it?   I am trying to convince my husband to apply for TSA Pre-check but he is resisting.  I think that would speed things up considerably.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming the terminal you disembark from has the same facial recognition setup as Terminal 2, then by being among the first walkoffs (as we always are), you should breeze through Customs in seconds and will find a long line of taxis waiting for you outside.  FLL is so close to the port you can see the ships from the departure lounge. We are routinely checked in and sitting at the gate before 8AM.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:29 PM, Diver2014 said:

The airport is just north of the cruise terminals, just a short taxi ride. You'll probably have a couple of hours to kill at the airport as it's an easy airport to get to and the security check in goes fast (unlike MIA).

Check your map. In Ft Lauderdale, the airport is west and slightly south of the cruise terminals area.

We have done the self walk off numerous times and the latest we have gotten to our gate was 8;30 am

Also tell your husband that TA pre check is the best-So much less hassle-shorter lines-no taking out liquids-no shoes or jacket off-so worth it IMHO

• Like 1

Odds are good, but if clearance to disembark is delayed and there are long lines at security and also to check bags, it could be tight if you don't have pre-check or airline status to minimize those wait times.

Are you flying domestic or international?  Will you have to check bags?

We had a cruise in Fort Lauderdale last March where we were in the first group to walk off but it was almost 9:00 before we were able to leave the ship due to delays in clearance. 

Thank you all for the reassurance!   We will have bags to check at FLL and was hoping to check them in curb side if there is no line out there.   Otherwise we are in the Sky Priority group with Delta so hopefully that line will be open and move fast.  Also I was mistaken about arrival time.  It is 6:00 AM and not 7:00 AM so by all accounts here we will have plenty of time, even a cushion of time unless something really bad happens.

I want to get the TSA PreCheck mostly because I HATE removing shoes and having to take electronics and liquids out!!    I just might get it even if my husband does not.   Then I will just have to sit down and wait for him on the other side (smile).

Edited by rjack22
  • Like 1

We have an 11: am flight out of FLL at the end of November, Thankfully, only our ship in port that day. We not only  have pre-check  but  trusted traveler/global entry. I've easily done 10: flights as long as we opted to disembark early with our own luggage. Othewise it's either another night in FL or go for the 6:30 PM flight home. 

Unexpected issues can happen. We once returned to Liberty/NJ and were told our 6: am arrival would be delayed because two other ships had medical issues and were given priority entry. We didn't tie up until after 9:30!  Since we were driving it didn't cause any harm. Friends from FL were with us, and had a 5: flight out of Westchester. We still managed lunch in CT, but saw so many pasengers scurry about searching for flights. 

Worse part of cruising: the flights to get there and home.

Darcy

• Like 1