Booked a Cruise - For the ship and not the itinerary!

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I can only remember the name of one CD on any cruise I've ever been on.

LOL   Exactly! I must say, though, that our one CD was formerly a professional singer and so did his own program the one evening - a tribute to Neil Diamond. He put on a great show. So I remember that one quite well. 

On 10/13/2022 at 7:45 AM, BobNoxious said:

I have an upcoming cruise booked on Oasis - not because of the itinerary (NY->Port Canaveral-> Nassau-> Coco Cay) but because of the ship:  Oasis.  We loved Harmony last month as our first Oasis class ship, and we are looking forward to doing another Oasis ship (this one with embarkation within driving distance from home).    I was telling a coworker about this upcoming cruise and he was like: "other than Coco Cay, those ports kinda suck!")   He is right, but I don't care.  We have a balcony, love the clubs, and will be doing unlimited dining!   Has anyone else booked a cruise primarily because of the ship?  

Four transatlantics on Oasis Class, all booked for the ship.  Have no desire to leave the ship at most ports. 

ALWAYS. Living in S. Florida and doing our best with shorter cruises that work with our work schedules, we've been to Nassau, Cozumel, Coco Cay, etc. dozens of times. Our experience is the ship - being entertained, fed, taken care of... maybe one day when we go somewhere other than the Caribbean the ports will be important, but for now, just being on a ship is more than reward enough.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

An onboard lecturer excitedly comes into the windjammer during lunch and refers to an albatross off the port side, for example, and everyone gets up from their tables and heads out on the decks to get a look

I was on Jewel out of Amsterdam for a 9 night Norway cruise  Aug 31st to Sept 9th. Two nights in a row after midnight the Captain cut into the cabin and shipwide intercom to let us know the northern lights were there. No one complained about being woken up 😄

• Like 1

Lately I've been booking for the ship:  I love the Radiance class, and I want to sail on them as much as possible before they are retired.  I love the helipad access, the Windjammer outdoor seating, the unique, pretty Solariums, and the forward Deck 7 balcony stateroom balconies.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

the Captain cut into the cabin and shipwide intercom to let us know the northern lights were there.

Yep...same happened on the Viking Sky during our northern lights trip back in March '19. A sighting was also announced during dinner the one night. It was nearly a 2-week trip but unfortunately got cut short - very famous story here on CC. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

40 minutes ago, LAKaye said:

I love the Radiance class, and I want to sail on them as much as possible before they are retired.

I really like the Radiance class also. Usually end up with the spacious balcony on the hump or aft-side of hump (has larger balconies). Those cabins are about 20 sq ft larger than the others. I have done the deck 7,s but also back side of hump for larger balcony. The actual Radiance is the only ship in the class I have not been on. 

Booked many cruises for the ship and not the ports. We’ve been to most of the Caribbean islands multiple times. There’s only so many islands and itineraries. I might like them to change some of the itineraries. Most of the time, I don’t even get off the ship.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:45 AM, BobNoxious said:

I have an upcoming cruise booked on Oasis - not because of the itinerary (NY->Port Canaveral-> Nassau-> Coco Cay) but because of the ship:  Oasis.  We loved Harmony last month as our first Oasis class ship, and we are looking forward to doing another Oasis ship (this one with embarkation within driving distance from home).    I was telling a coworker about this upcoming cruise and he was like: "other than Coco Cay, those ports kinda suck!")   He is right, but I don't care.  We have a balcony, love the clubs, and will be doing unlimited dining!   Has anyone else booked a cruise primarily because of the ship?  

We only book for the ship at this point, have seen most of the islands so it doesn't matter what the ports are. The only time we booked for the itinerary was our cruise to Alaska. I agreee the only good stop on this cruise is Cococay. Always wanted to cruise on The Oases so when it came to NJ, we were booking, no matter where it took us!

Marg

On 10/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, BobNoxious said:

That's every cruise for us for the last several years. We never get off the ship until final day.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, Painter4me said:

Booked many cruises for the ship and not the ports. We’ve been to most of the Caribbean islands multiple times. There’s only so many islands and itineraries. I might like them to change some of the itineraries. Most of the time, I don’t even get off the ship.

We were on Allure last week and only got off in Labadee.  My husband uses a transport chair and it really didn't seem worth the effort to get off and walk to town in the heat, so we just stayed on the ship and relaxed.